GO!

Does the Furminator hurt?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Beulah

Diva Kittykins

Purred: Tue Sep 9, '08 7:32am PST 
Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. I have been shedding so much lately! Mommy has been grooming me two to three times a day to help me get rid of my summer coat - but to no avail! Mommy was contemplating buying the Furminator for me, but she thinks it resembles some sort of torture chamber device because it looks like a razor. Mommy is afraid that it would hurt me to use! Is she just crazy, or is there a risk that I could get cut or hurt? Mommy knows this probably sounds like a really silly question to people who are Furminator experts, but she's strictly a comb and brush kinda gal. Thank you for your help furr-ends!
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Tue Sep 9, '08 7:56am PST 
As far as I know, the Furminator does not hurt. BUT, I would never use it on a long- or medium-haired cat because it will ruin the coat.

What do you currently use to brush your cat? Slicker brushes do nothing for long-hairs but flatten the coat. If you're not already using one, you need to a long-toothed comb instead. Like a flea comb or a Greyhound comb. These work much better on long-haired cats. Or you could consider getting a lion cut for the summer months.
[notify]

The- Wisconsin- cats

Purred: Tue Sep 9, '08 8:41am PST 
We have a Furminator and it does not hurt. You obviously don't want to use much presure though. It can also damage the coat if you Furminate too much. Mom reserves it for occasional use on Mr. Fez when his shedding is at it's worst.

We also have a Zoom Groom and recommend that more. It also gets out tons of loose fur and undercoat, but won't damage the coat. We love it, it feels so good. Linus will roll around purring the whole time and try to butt in when Mom moves on to one of his brothers!

The greyhound comb and flea comb suggestions were also great. Also, don't forget a bath! You'd be surprised how much loose fur a bath can get out! Just use paroducts safe for cats and make sure kitty doesn't get chilled.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Tue Sep 9, '08 8:20pm PST 
I agree - the furminator doesn't hurt. Isabelle didn't particularly like it, but it didn't hurt her. I would second the vote for the Zoom Groom though - that thing is amazing! I can get more hair out in the 15 seconds Isabelle lets me brush her than with any other brush/comb I've tried. And cheap (around $6). smile
[notify]

Beulah

Diva Kittykins

Purred: Wed Sep 10, '08 8:46am PST 
Thanks for all the advice - I think I am going to hold off on getting the Furminator for now. I have been using a flea comb on Beulah's long hair, and it has been getting out her dead, loose hair - but every time I pick her up or she sits down on the furniture, she leaves gobs of hair behind, leading me to believe I am not doing good enough of a job. I will search out the Greyhound comb and the Zoom Groom (do they carry them at Petco and/or Petsmart?). I have never bathed Beulah - so if you have any tips on which shampoos work the best - that would be great too. She is terrified of the blow dryer when I do my own hair (even on the lowest volume)- so that is partially why I am afraid to bathe her - I don't want her traumatized (she's a rescue kitty, and I have no idea what she was put thru). But if you have any suggestions on how to make the process go smoothly, by all means, I would love to hear them!
[notify]

The- Wisconsin- cats

Purred: Wed Sep 10, '08 9:02am PST 
Yes, I've seen the Zoom Groom at both PetSmart and PetCo. Not sure about the Greyhound comb though, we don't have one as we are shorthair - maybe in the dog section?

Bathing, put a rubber mat or towel at the bottom of the sink or tub so she has secure footing - half the battle can be the cat doesn't like slipping and sliding around the tub while being bathed! Use products made for cats. Brush well before the bath and get any mats out before getting her fur wet - water will make the mats worse. The water should be warm, comfortable to your elbow. If she hates the blow drier, you don't have to blow dry - just keep her in a warm aplace where she won't get chilled while she dries. The Zoom Groom also makes a great bath brush too - we use it during our baths to help work in the shampoo and work out loose fur.
[notify]

Beulah

Diva Kittykins

Purred: Wed Sep 10, '08 2:49pm PST 
Well, I bought the Zoom Groom at Petco over my lunch break in addition to some kitty shampoo. I got a lavender scent which should hopefully keep kitty calm. I am going to get a mat for the sink tonight too, so we will try out bathtime this week. The ladies at Petco were very adamant that the Furminator doesnt ruin coats, but they also said they had short hair cats - so I told them I was sticking with the Zoom Groom for now. Beulah's coat is just now getting to be lush, full and shiny since we've rescued her, and I don't want to do anything to risk it. Thanks for all the advice, we'll let you know how the Zoom Groom goes!
-Beulah's Mommy
[notify]

Magoo

I'm a sweet boy!

Purred: Thu Sep 11, '08 2:03pm PST 
We have the Furminator and most of us do well with it. Our Esther only likes to be groomed for small amounts of time, but she tolerates it really well.
Mommy says she will have to check out the Zoom Groom since you kitties seem to like it!
[notify]

Tiger

Don't leave,- Mommy and Daddy!- Stay!

Purred: Sat Dec 20, '08 10:47pm PST 
We have the furminator. It pulls lots of hair out of Kali, but not so much out of Tiger. They both like it. The only issue is that I like to take them outside so I don't send a cloud of dander into the air of the house. Kali hates going outside and trembles and clings to me when I take her outside. Tiger gets made and tries to escape. She hates it outdoors, but likes to escape b/c she came from outdoors. When she does escape, she stays gone 15-30 max, then cowers under a bush by the door and cries. If we don't hear her, she goes around to the window, jumps up and yowls. For this reason, and b/c they don't shed much at all, I haven't furminated them lately.

Can I give a should out for GONZO products? They make a completely renewable pet hair remover sponge. When it gets dirty, rinse it off and let it dry. I've also used the lampshade cleaner sponge and it is amazing. Their stain remover is nothing short of miraculous. Squirt, use pressure from the dull side of the knife to move the stain upwards to the surface of the carpet and then blot. Stain gone. They also made a special pet stain remover and pet odor remover made of a sack of volcanic rocks. The odor removers are also renewable. If they stop working, put them in the sun for 6 hours and they are good as new. All products are water soluble and environmentally friendly, safe for humans and pets.

smile

Allison
[notify]

Lily Rose- 2007-2010

The iron claw in- a cute little- paw.

Purred: Mon Dec 22, '08 12:49pm PST 
I have used the Furminator on my cats, but I think it does a better job on my dogs. I prefer a good old fashioned silver comb for all 3 of my cats, two medium haired and one long-haired Diva.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2