GO!

Someone cut my whiskers

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
☀- Adobe☀-

I can't turn- my purr off!

Purred: Sat Nov 10, '07 10:02pm PST 
I'm new and mom just got me from a shelter.

When she got me home she noticed that my whiskers had been cut off!

Is there some medical reason this may have been done, or did some mean person do this to me before I got to the pound?

Also aren't whiskers used for balance and navigation? Will I be alright without them?
[notify]

Linus- (Dreamboat- #72a)

So many toys, so- little time.

Purred: Sat Nov 10, '07 10:29pm PST 
Are you sure they are cut and not broken? I had very short broken whiskers that almost looked like they were cut when I was a kitten. They were actually broken from me being so active, playing, and getting into everything.

Usually whiskers are not cut for medical purposes. Of course someone mean could have cut them too.

Your whiskers will grow back and you should be okay.
[notify]

Smokey

I am the QUEEN!

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '07 6:20am PST 
From what I have heard, cats sometimes chew off each others whiskers. Not sure why. Maybe just because they are there and they can? Because they are irritating another kitty who shares a cage? Dunno. Anyway, whiskers will grow again and you will be fine!
[notify]

Margaux- Hemingway

It's all about- me, and always- was!

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '07 7:24am PST 
I spent months with only half the whiskers on my face at full-length. I was always getting into very small spaces, and I just broke my whiskers constantly! Now that I'm grown, I behave the same way, but have learned to be a little more careful with my face! Also, my mother thinks that young shelter kittens (or stray kittens) probably have some nutritional deficiencies that make their coats thinner than they should be, and maybe that makes the whiskers break more easily too. The short whiskers probably won't bother kitty, and they should grow back within a few weeks.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '07 1:23pm PST 
My purebred Somali came to us with short/ cut looking whiskers but as he grew older the whiskers came in better.
[notify]

Charlita- Thunderpaws

I can run louder- than you!

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '07 9:55am PST 
When I was young my whiskers were all differant lengths, some short some long and my mom always said I looked "weird"
But now that I'm older they have grown in beautifully, but she still calls me her "little weirdo kitty"
Cats need their whiskers and they should never be cut.
Purrs, Charlita Thunderpaws
[notify]

QUINCY

I've never met a- kitten I didn't- like

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '07 10:29am PST 
First, let me tell you that you are sooo adorable!!
Second, what everyone else has said is right - kittens lose their whiskers alot from breakage from playing or from other kittens chewing on them. I have fostered alot of kittens, and have seen this all the time. You will be fine without them until they grow back.
Concatulations on your new home!!
Hugs and Purrs, Quincy
[notify]

Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '07 9:10pm PST 
Yeah they could be caused by a nutritional deficiencies (brittle hair, brittle whiskers) or from playing as other people said. I can't think of any medical reasons why they would cut a cat's whiskers!
The only time I ever had to cut a cat's whiskers is when we had a cat who was too curious for her own good, (she jumped up next to the stove!) and she got too close to a flame and burned her whiskers. Luckily she did not burn her skin! I trimmed off the burnt ends because I figured the burnt smell would be irritating to a cat's sensitive sense of smell...
[notify]

Sesshoumaru- (Sesshy)

mrrrr? wanna- play?

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '07 12:20am PST 
My whiskers were really hard and brittle when I was a baby (I was a sick kitten cry )and they broke off a bit. They grew back after though big grin
[notify]

Mister- Biscuit

Purred: Fri May 9, '08 2:16pm PST 
My whiskers are brittle and broken too. When I went for my shots today the vet said sometimes ringworm can cause it. But I think mine are just broken from playing too rough with my sister.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3