GO!

Long-haired girl has question....

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Maggie

Purring Girl

Purred: Sun Oct 14, '07 6:44am PST 
I have a question.... if anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it. Actually it's momma's question, but I'll ask for her! Since I have really long hair the fur in my paws is really long. Momma has never had a long-haired cat & doesn't know if she should trim this or not. Especially in my back paws, the fur sticks out between my pads. Does anyone know if we should trim this or just leave it alone?
If it makes any difference, I'll be 6 months old in 2 days!
cheercheercheer
Thanks for any suggestions you can give us.

Edited by author Sun Oct 14, '07 6:45am PST

[notify]

Milo

I'm cute, and I- know it.

Purred: Sun Oct 14, '07 7:45am PST 
Hi Maggie
There is not need to trim that hair, as far as I can see. I have hair between my toes too and I do a good job of keeping it groomed all by myself. Tell you Mommy to just let you take care of it, MOL!
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Mon Oct 15, '07 8:33am PST 
Meowlo Maggiewavewave

I also have long hair, but my meowmy just lets me take care of the fur between my toes myself. She brushes and combs my coat every day, as I take her for a walk twice a day, and sometimes I get bits of grass and twigs in my fur.

Louishug
[notify]

Maggie

Princess Snow- Belle

Purred: Mon Oct 15, '07 1:55pm PST 
Hi Maggie,

From One Maggie to another, you don't need to trim the fur- sounds like you may have a bit of Maine Coon in you! You will have nice warm feeties!
Loki has REALLY long foot fur ! cheer
[notify]

♠- KILLER- ♠

DIVA with a- heart of gold!

Purred: Mon Oct 15, '07 3:09pm PST 
i have toe fur too. mommy wanted to trim it at first, but i put up a fuss. the only problem is i track a little more litter around the house. now she thinks it's cute. igroom it everytime i bathe myself.
[notify]

Maggie

Purring Girl

Purred: Tue Oct 16, '07 7:37pm PST 
thank you all for your responses!
somekitty told me I have toe feathers! laugh out loud but they don't tickle me.
I have a main coon kitty in me Maggie? *looks confused until momma explains what that means*

Momma is just gonna keep an eye on me & make sure nothing gets stuck in my feets or in my tail from being in the litter box.shock

She's really good about brushing me every day...or tries to anyway. She says that I have to get used to it since I'se got long hair.

thanks again!!!cheercheercheer

Edited by author Tue Oct 16, '07 7:40pm PST

[notify]

Lady Hidalgo

Hot Stuff

Purred: Tue Oct 16, '07 9:45pm PST 
Oh yeah, you gotta keep an eye on the tail. My mommy and daddy are always paying attention to my tail. I sometimes end up with presents. One time my daddy didn't know what to do about the poopie that got stuck on my tail and he cut it off, now my tail isn't as beautiful as it was. Mommy was mad. Daddy is not aloud near me with scissors.
[notify]

♠- KILLER- ♠

DIVA with a- heart of gold!

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '07 5:46pm PST 
yeah your girl is a maine coon mix. they get toe fur (i should've mentioned it last post). definitely watch for klingons. that happened here once. if she retrieves, chirps or uses her front paws as hands it's a done deal. if you want, you can get a groomer to shave her britches down. mommy likes to pull on my toe fur teasingly since she knows it annoys mefrown. i swipe her for it. she thought it was weird too until she was reading a kitten care book and maine coons were in there. then she researched the breed. for us it's normal.

Edited by author Thu Oct 18, '07 5:52pm PST

[notify]

Sky

time to play!

Purred: Sat Oct 20, '07 11:05am PST 
I have long toe hair as well. Are Maine Coons the only long-haired kitty that get that? I also have probs with the tooshie hair. My meowmies had to comb "stuff" out of it and I DID NOT like it shock. Is it just cause I'm still a kitten, or will It be a constant problem?confused
BTW *puffs chest* I'm may be a kitten, but I'm not small*air whooshes out*
[notify]

Milo

I'm cute, and I- know it.

Purred: Mon Oct 22, '07 11:07am PST 
Hi Sky
No, not just Main Coons have the long toe hair. I'm Manx and I have it too. As for "messy bottoms", that is just par for the course with us long haired kitties. Every once in a while I need to get something brushed out of my butt hair, or even, heaven forbid, little brown klingons! So sorry, I can't say that goes away with the kitten stage. It, for me atleast, has gotten worse with my bigger fluffier adult hair!
[notify]