GO!

Help with dirty ear mite ears for a kitten!!!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Unicorn

*purr*

Purred: Sun Aug 19, '07 6:24pm PST 
We recently got a little 6 week old kitten from a barn, and her ears anre filthy, but we cant use any ear mite medicine on her because she is too young. What can we do to clean her ears at this young age?shrug
[notify]

Tommy Rags

Ragstown, US of- A

Purred: Sun Aug 19, '07 6:41pm PST 
Years ago before we ever heard of medication to control ear mites, Mother treated our cats ears with a drop of mineral oil. It seemd to work and I don't think it would hurt the kitten.
[notify]

Radar

Don\'t you know- who I am?!

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '07 6:54pm PST 
Get some ear cleaner from your vet. It's really inexpensive and they will know what will be safe for the little guy. Trust me when I say I know about gooky ears--I got mine flushed today at the vets. If you don't keep them clean and the dirt and wax sit in his ears he can get an infection that could lead to hearing loss. You want CLEAN ears all the way down. Oh, and DON"T use q-tips. It only pushes the dirt further in even though you think your getting it out. Use the solution from the vet, fill the ear with it (warming it will help make it less irritating/shocking) and massage the base of the ear (all the while trying to keep kitty from shaking his head and getting stuff all over you) and then tear up cotton balls and gently place them in the ear to wipe up and absorb the excess fluid. The cleaner is specially designed with drying agents so even though you worry about all the fluid you dump in, what you dont get out with the cotton ball will just dry. Better yet, go to the vet and have them demo for you. Mommys done that a few times and I think today she really got the technique. Especially since she's paid to clean up all she's been missing over my short two years of life. Good luck!
Nibbles,
Radar
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '07 9:34am PST 
First you need to determine if it's mites or just dirty ears. Also, I would not recommend putting ANYTHING into the ears until a vet has examined them If there is a ruptured ear drum, liquids into the ear can cause severe damage. If it is mites, there is a great product that can be used in cats 4 weeks and older. Your vet will either have it or can order it. It really works well and usually only 1 treatment is necessary. It's called milbemite.
http://www.milbemite.novartis.us/
[notify]

Radar

Don\'t you know- who I am?!

Purred: Sat Sep 8, '07 6:59pm PST 
Hunters right! I should have said get the solution from your vet AND be sure he looks at your ears BEFORE you do anything. My bad red face. From what I've garnered, Hunter's advice is always sound (me thinks we heard his mommys a tech) so just do whatever Hunter says and you'll be good! smile Good luck
Radar
[notify]

♥Winn- ie - The Pooh

Hello- Furfriends, - Diva Kitty Here!

Purred: Sun Sep 23, '07 5:33pm PST 
Yep,,,,,I would also agree that you need to let the vet check your little ears to make sure that's what is going on......the vet can clean out the ears if it is ear mites & will send some more meds with you that you can use at home. I would just think that the vet would be able to determine/check things out to rule out other things such as infection. Good luck! Purrs
[notify]