GO!

Furminator

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Mooch

The Tiny 4- Parade!

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '07 11:15am PST 
We have a Furminator, too, but Mommy must feel worried to use it on us because she doesn't know how much pressure is all right. It's like the brush scares her laugh out loud . Right now she uses a rubber brush and my siblings and I all like it a lot.

Does anyone have any advice on how to use it - Mommy read slow strokes, up to 5 or 6 strokes per area, but is there any more info available? Is there a certain age from when to start using the brush?

As for the purple and blue brush differences, from what I understand, it has to do with the size.
[notify]

Wally♥Forever Loved

Sophie\\\'s- Forever Love

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '07 2:48pm PST 
Mom was scared to use the FURminator too. But she tried it on her arm and it really doesn't scratch at all.
Just gentle strokes no real pressure. Don't be scared.
Blue and purple are both small.
Good luck
Wally
[notify]

Minxzie

The new kit in- town!

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '07 7:06pm PST 
My September Catnip issue just rated the highest ranking of 5 paws for the FURminator! Boy meowmy has to pick up one of these fur me!!! They have a web site www.furminator.com or you can call at 888-283-1620. Gee I hope it is ok to list this on Catster??
[notify]

☆- Wookiee- ☆

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '07 12:55pm PST 
Well with any bristle brush you don't want to put any more pressure on your cat then you would your own arm. Cats have very sensitive and thin skin. Using a furminator is like what we would call a surgical blade. It is just like a #40 blade at a vets office or grooming shop. So if you are using this to get mats out be very careful. On the back isn't so bad, but I saw someone mention the under arm area. Be very very careful as you can rip the skin in that area very easily if you aren't careful. I am a groomer, not on cats but I watch cats get groomed all the time as the other groomer does do cats.
[notify]

Princess

Seriously...go- away!

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '07 8:33am PST 
Mommy bought the purple one last week and loves it! I am not too fond of it, but it does seem to make my fur look beautiful and I don't leave as much around. I won't let her do if for more than a couple of minutes at a time, but she still gets two handfulls of fur in that little timeshock ! Maybe one of these days, I will sit for longer...maybe NOT!!!
[notify]

Kiki

Purr Power

Purred: Wed Sep 5, '07 2:08pm PST 
Our Mommy bought us the Furminator and we have mixed reviews! The good news is that IT DOES work as advertised. It removes SO much hair, and it makes our coats shiny and soft. It does work exactly as it should. hail

However...we are not big fans of having it used on us. The first night it came home, Mommy tried it on Mouse and I. We both ran and hid after only a few strokes. Yesterday, Mommy used it on me and I purrrrrrred. But she could only do one side because I was lying down.

Today I was sleeping on my other side, so she tried to do the second side of me. I was purring, but I swatted Mommy and scratched her! laugh out loud

Mouse is getting better about it too, but he is not sure he likes it.

I guess it just takes some getting used to. It sure does work though!
[notify]

Mooch

The Tiny 4- Parade!

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '07 11:27pm PST 
My sisters, brother and I have the same thing - Mommy seems to love the Furminator because just a few strokes really gets out a bunch of stuff.......but we don't much like to sit still for it! We'll squiggle and curve our bodies to make it extra hard (if not impossible) for her to use it laugh out loud .

Personally, I like to turn my head around and bite at it and then race away MOL!

Mommy found that when we are sitting nice and calm (for those first few seconds) that holding the skin taut from the shoulder (not pulling it, but just holding the skin down there) then gently brushing from that point down seems to help the comb go down more easily.

But only for the few seconds we allow it. smile But it sure does work!

Edited by author Fri Sep 7, '07 11:28pm PST

[notify]

Maggie

Purring Girl

Purred: Sun Oct 14, '07 6:38am PST 
We have it too!
Momma had it long before Rudy & I came to live here. My big brothers love it. Momma used it on me a couple times, but thought maybe she should wait until I'm older. She has a kitten brush she uses on me, just so I get used to being brushed...'cause I'm gonna need it as I get older.
[notify]

Maliika

Oooooh!! Shiney!

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '07 10:32pm PST 
Mom bought it for the dog...but when she was done with the dog she eyed me, picked me up went outside and began to brush. I hate brushings, so I cried and screamed as loud as I could. But as soon as she was done there was a pile of hair that was all from me. My fur felt so nice and I was very nice to pet. But I know when mom uses it on Khimber, she has to do a little every week otherwise Khimmy gets really disgusting in her shedding.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2