GO!

I can't groom my cat! help!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Pippin

Purred: Fri Dec 1, '06 9:00am PST 
Pippin is wonderful in every way but one..he won't let me groom him EVER.

If I come towards him with the comb, he paws at it and bites it. I've tried petting him first, using different combs and brushes,playing with him to tire him out, giving him treats if he lets me groom him even just a little bit. Nothing works! he's a long haired him/persian cross and his fur is very long and thick. I can't afford to bring him to the groomers every few months so I would really love advice on how to groom him myself!

I appreciate and help and advice or comments
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Fri Dec 1, '06 9:42am PST 
I won't let mom come near me w/ a brush either.
I read in your diary that you let other people groom you. That is better than me. I do not tolerate any combing, brushing or bathing. I do that on my own thank you very much.
I know groming can get expensive, but it may be one of your only options to keep the matting to a minimum. Sorry I do not have any other advice, as this is a struggle in our house. Mom has been asking dad to try to so the brushing since he is the one I like to go and cuddle with. I just attack mom smile
[notify]

Diesel

PURRRRRRRRRR....

Purred: Fri Dec 1, '06 11:06am PST 
Try a Zoom Groom and some Greenies! It worked for me. When I came to live with mom she tried to brush me with three different kinds of brushes (I hated them all) before she heard about the Zoom Groom. Mom was not sure if it would work, it's soft rubber after all, but it collected way more hair than any other brush and it actually felt good! She had to continually feed me treats the first time that we used it (to keep me still) but now I beg to be brushed. It's really remarkable.Now I get brushed every day without complaint . Mom uses a slicker brush in the tangly spots about once a week and now I have even learned to tolerate that! It's worth a try smile
[notify]

Pippin

Purred: Fri Dec 1, '06 12:57pm PST 
zoom groom..that sounds okay! hehe..I just got back from the groomer and I am so depressed! (seriously...pippin is moping around. no meowing. no coming to me for pets. he must be mad..)
[notify]

♥Madd- y- McCatterson

Slappin- beagles.......it- 's what I do.

Purred: Fri Dec 1, '06 11:52pm PST 
Hey Diesel, I have one of those brushes and I love it. I purr the whole time mom brushes me with it and mom likes that it gets more hair. (I am a hairy lil booger.MOL)
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Sat Dec 2, '06 11:13pm PST 
I looooooooooooooooove my Zoom Groom! Even Kahlan and Isis like to be brushed with it and they don't like to be brushed with other brushes.

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Dec 3, '06 11:38am PST 
Hunter's mom here.
Shhh..Guess what Hunter is getting for Xmas smile
[notify]

Diesel

PURRRRRRRRRR....

Purred: Sun Dec 3, '06 12:27pm PST 
Yey for Hunter!!!
[notify]

Dakota

Kitties are born- to run and be- loved

Purred: Sun Dec 10, '06 12:29pm PST 
Wow, what coincidence-my mom grooms me, but today she was trying to cut the fur around my head and mouth since I get so much of it inside of me-I look like a fool now because she can't hold me long enough to cut a straight line around my chin! She doesn't like going to a stranger to groom me ( afraid they will hurt me) so she does it on her own. Now Sparky laughs at my uneven chin!
I love the grooming but just want to play with the scissors.
[notify]

Tory

*purrr*

Purred: Mon Dec 25, '06 3:03pm PST 
Mats get painful if they are allowed to grow too big and hard! I can get a little peeved at my human when she grooms me. I've found that the best way to do it is little by little. Try combing him a little while he's eating or very sleepy, then before he gets ticked off at you, quickly switch to petting him. He may come to associate the comb with getting attention.

Oh, and Pippin is not a seal point...he looks like something a lot rarer, a Lilac Point {himalayan}. ^_^
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3