GO!

Embarrassing

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 11:20am PST 
My feline true love is the most overweight of the others. He's not too fat, but fat enough...
The problem is... I don't think he can reach all the places on his body when he grooms himself. Particularly, the anus. Sometimes there is an unclean smell. I feel sorry for him. Is there anything I can do. Should I clean it for him? *embarrassed*
[notify]

Simone

I'm a cat- burgler,what's- your's is mine!

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 3:00pm PST 
Yes definately clean it for him, I would use baby diaper wipes on his bottom.
[notify]

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 3:18pm PST 
They also make Kitty Wipes. Mommy used to use them to get stray fur off me, and her too! You could probably find them at Petsmart. we might have gotten them from the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog, I'm not sure.
[notify]

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 3:58pm PST 
Thanks Simone and Squeakers! *relieved* I actually have Kitty Wipes but I thought they're just for giving your cat a dry bath.
If I do clean my cat in that way, would it be traumatic for him? I mean, would he feel like I'm crossing a boundary? I'm afraid he will never forgive me or trust me again.
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 4:37pm PST 
I doubt this will be tramatic for your kitty. We kitties tend to get over things pretty quickly. He will probably be happier with a clean bum. Kitties like to be clean and if he can't do it himself, you will just have to step in. Good Luck!
[notify]

Jake

The World: your- oyster, my- napping space

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 4:55pm PST 
Don't forget that we cats are so much more laid back than humans. They have a tendency to be uptight about certain parts of the body sometimes. Because we're so full of personality, they can forget occassionally that we aren't just like them, and that we have our own rules of etiquette that are completely outside what would be appropos for them.

The rear end is not a "personal" area to a cat. In fact, many humans get embarrassed (to our personal amusement) when we offer then our anal glands to sniff, riiiight in their faces! For cats it's a greeting. Smelling another kitty's bottom isn't a social faux pas, in fact there are situations when NOT doing so is the wrong thing for a cat.

If your little friend had some fellow felines that he was close to, it wouldn't be uncommon for them to help him out (i.e. clean his butt for him) since he's having difficulty. Chances are, your cat will be grateful that you are fulfilling the role of his personal caretaker, and making sure he's as clean as we cats all love to be (ahem, that is, when we aren't taking dust baths, purrrr).

Jake

The World: your- oyster, my- napping space

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 4:57pm PST 
Oops, almost forgot!

As an aside, he *might* be a bit uncomfy at first if you're using wipes that are room temperature-- they'll feel quite cool on his warm bottom!

You may want to make it more comfy for him, if he objects to wipes, by using a washcloth that's been dampened with warm water.