GO!

Dirty Chin

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sebastien- the Cat

loud- puuuuurrrrrer

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 7:58am PST 
My human has been asking me where I go play because I always come back with a dirty chin... I'm a house cat so I don't have access to the outdoors, but for some reasons, no matter how often my human cleans my chin, it gets dirty again. She says that the "dirt" melts with water - almost like soil. But I swear I don't go out of the house, so I don't know where this "soil" thing comes from... Does anyone has any insights? Could it be the food or my cat litter sand??
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 8:30am PST 
It could be feline acne. It looks like black specks under your chin. Combing the fur the wrong way will remove the specks. Sometimes plastic bowls will cause acne but mostly it is because we felines cannot groom under our chins so our chins tend to be dirty with bacteria.
[notify]

Dr. Morris- Excalibur- Jonathan

Fast & Furry

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 11:30pm PST 
Yeah,I had acne about a year ago and nobody knew about it.It faded away soon,though.
[notify]

BOO BOO-MAMA- MISSES- YOU10/2/06

ALWAYS IN MY- MAMA'S- HEART-6/7/93-10/- 2/06

Purred: Wed Apr 19, '06 2:08am PST 
Sebastian........these guys could be right about Kitty Acne! I have it and one of the reasons I do get it is from my Dry Food. As I eat it out of the bowl, my little chin touches food, that I can't see! All Dry Kitty Food has some types of oils in it! So I guess I'm a T-Zone Oil face Kitty!!! mol mol!!! Mama won't get NO MASK on this furry face though! hee hee!! She wipes my chin, sometimes she has to lightly pull at the black specks to get them out since it does get stuck in my chin furr often. When I have Acne real bad, I get the blackheads or acne close by my bottom lip. I try to clean it the best I can, but I mostly require Mama's help! Besides, she likes to pick at me, cleans my ears, wipes my eye boogies out of the corners of my eyes and I have to tell you.....that feels pretty good when she gets the real hard ones that I can't clean with my paws!

That's my analysis of your "dirty chin" issue. I hope I, and the other kitty's, were able to help you figure this out. I suppose this could also happen if you eat wet food as well. The only other thing I can think of is that whatever place you are at most of the day in your home, there must be something you rub against that leaves the dirt on your chin. It could be some type of a metal which often has residue on it, a pipe where plumbing is???? a piece of furniture?? Just thinking of things that Mama has told me about.

Good Luck!!
Wet Whisko Kisses!!
Love,
Boo Boo's
[notify]

Gizzie

Meowmy's girl

Purred: Wed Apr 19, '06 7:23am PST 
I have the same problem. It's chin acne, or kitty zits! The previous posts are correct as to cause. Mommy switched us to ceramic bowls and I'm improving in the chin area. There are also posts on this subject under "health".
[notify]

Sebastien- the Cat

loud- puuuuurrrrrer

Purred: Wed Apr 19, '06 10:44am PST 
Sounds like I do have kitty acne! I eat out from a ceramic bowl already so it must be the oil residue from the dry cat food. Thank you all for calming my human - she thought it was flea or lice droppings/eggs (!)... wheff! I'm already on monthly preventive parasite meds and flea oil... sigh... she can be so paranoid sometimes.

Many thanks again!
[notify]

Henry

I'm Henry - is it time to- eat?

Purred: Wed Apr 26, '06 2:16pm PST 
Wow, I'm gonna have to tell my Mom about this. I had those black specks when she first rescued me and she would comb and clean and even though she is the smartest human I know, she could never figure out what it was. But now it is all gone and has been for awhile. Now she just has my eye boogies to pick on. Why do they like that so much? She even does it to my gross dog sister, Lili. Ick. I'm glad I'm not a Mom. All I have to do is lick my beautiful fur.
Henry
[notify]

Loki

my Fluffernutter

Purred: Thu Apr 27, '06 10:51am PST 
If you already eat from ceramic bowls and still have kitty acne then switch once more to stainless steel - that is even better!!

Treatment can vary from soap and water to a pat down with benzyl peroxide.

Preventive maintenance includes washing dishes on a frequent and regular basis, and wiping off kitties face after mealtime.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Jun 13, '06 3:06pm PST 
Here is more info on Feline Acne for those of you that suffer from it.

http://www.fabcats.org/acneandstudtail.html
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue Jun 13, '06 3:46pm PST 
I had pretty bad feline acne when I was younger. It got better after our mom switched us from plastic to glass dishes.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2