GO!

Eye Crust

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Ben

Mitten kittens- are special too!

Purred: Sat Mar 25, '06 12:11pm PST 
Hey guys-I get eye boogers a lot and I was just wondering if other kitties get this too. They are usually brown and dried up. I can see just fine. Mom cleans them off with a damp cotten ball, but it usually happens daily. Just wondering if this is anything major, or just an annoyance! Thanks!
[notify]

Cleo

the princess

Purred: Sat Mar 25, '06 8:20pm PST 
Some cats just get these crusties. My first cat use to have them all the time. They aren't a problem, just kind of yucky to look at. If the kitty has a smushy face (like a Persian), eye drainage can be a big problem, since the reshaping of their face has impaired the way their tear ducts drain.

Just keep wiping them away with the damp cotton (using just water, of course)!
[notify]

Lexington

Lexi-love

Purred: Mon Mar 27, '06 12:34pm PST 
Here is a thread about Tear Staining and Eye stuff. Maybe some of the info there will be able to help you.

http://www.catster.com/forums/thread.php?t=6252
[notify]

BOO BOO-MAMA- MISSES- YOU10/2/06

ALWAYS IN MY- MAMA'S- HEART-6/7/93-10/- 2/06

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 1:04am PST 
I GET EYE BOOGIES ALL THE TIME! LIKE EVERYDAY, MAMA COMES TOWARDS ME, WITH HER FINGER POINTING AT MY FACE, READY FOR THE WIPE DOWN!!!! MOL MOL NO BIGGIE!!! IT ACTUALLY FEELS REALLY GOOD TO GET THAT HARD CRUSTY BOOGS OUT OF MY EYES!!! I OFTEN "LOOK" FORWARD TO IT!! HEE HEE!!!! IT HAS NEVER POSED A PROBLEM FOR ME.

WET WHISKER KISSES!!!
[notify]

Azurine- Ambrosia

I DID NOT DO IT

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 5:23am PST 
being a Persian, i have them lots of time.. mommsie use a nice warm wet cloth to clean my eyes. I just went to the vet a few days agon cause they were running more than usual,, vet said it was allergies so I have eye drops for a while... if they not swollen, or nasty goo coming out ,then it is ok.. Bluie
[notify]

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 7:23am PST 
Wow! I thought I was the only one who got those things! Mommy calls them "ooh-oohs" because once, when she was trying to clean them out I put my paw on her finger to guide it away and she said "Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, I just wanna get this stuff out of your eyes!" So now she she asks me if I have any ooh-oohs in my eyes!
She uses her finger to clear them, although it's clean, because she can't see very well.
I think they're just like human's sleep crust, don't think they're bad, just kind of annoying, and it's good to get them out.
[notify]

Katmandu II

Purrmeister

Purred: Wed Mar 29, '06 5:00pm PST 
Think you got it bad? My brother Leo & I are persians and as you can see from either of our pictures, we're white. The stuff shows up in no time.
[notify]

killer boots- man

killer boots,- man!

Purred: Wed Apr 12, '06 8:53pm PST 
my persian does this awful bad. when she got conjuctivitus for the fifth time a few months ago they gave herterramycin to clear it up. her face was also super clear but vets say i have to go back and pay $50 or up to get it refilled. this has been the only thing that helped her but i don't have that kind of money. Dove face cloths are cheap and also easy, and also softer than what you can get at pet stores. I also looked up an antibotic that they can ingest that is suppose to help yet i can't get it from a vet. this is a huge problem for my cat so i would love other suggestions
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 8:32am PST 
I always have yucky goo in the corners of my eyes when I wake up. It does not bother me at all. My Human wipes the goo off for me. Methinks it is just dried mucous.
[notify]

R.I.P. Mr.- Snuggles xx

Stop Brushing- Me!!!

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 11:02am PST 
I have em too!!! Mummy just cleans them daily with my own little cloth.
I actually love having my face and eyes cleaned. But DONT BRUSH ME!!!!

Purrrrrrrrs from Mr. Snuggles
[notify]