GO!

Dandruff

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

SiMoN

Magician- Extraordinaire

Purred: Sun Jul 3, '05 8:44pm PST 
I tend to get dandruff really badly, and since I am a black kitty, it shows! Is there anything my mommy can do to help me out? Sometimes it itches!
[notify]

Selket

Fiend #1.

Purred: Sun Jul 3, '05 8:59pm PST 
Oh -- dandruff! That happens to me in the winter, I guess because we are indoor cats, I have thick fur, and the heat is on more. I get brushed often and that helps. Other kitties' humans put oils in their food or use different kinds of food...I'm sure they will tell you about that when they see this post. Of course, as always, if you are really itchy and it doesn't go away with simple things, time for the vet check!
[notify]

SiMoN

Magician- Extraordinaire

Purred: Sun Jul 3, '05 9:02pm PST 
ooh, thank you! those sound like good ideas! especially the brush! I'm going to the vet soon for a checkup, so I'll remind mom to ask!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Jul 4, '05 9:51am PST 
Hey Simon, since I'm a black kitty like you, I had the same problem when I was little. Found out it was the type of food I was eating - too many by-products & corn. Mom thought I had dandruff but it was an allergic reaction to the food. I'm eating Newman's Organic kibble (I also have eaten Innova which is great) and my coat is "speckle-free", itch-free and so shiny you could see your face in it!!
[notify]

SiMoN

Magician- Extraordinaire

Purred: Mon Jul 4, '05 12:49pm PST 
Thanks Seamus! My mom never thought about the food. I will have her check out the ingredients on mine and maybe try some of that new food, sounds yummy! :-p
[notify]

Salem Fudge

Do I Smell- Chicken?

Purred: Tue Jul 5, '05 2:28pm PST 
Hi, My name is Salem and I have dandruff as well. I don't know if black cats get it more often or it is just that it is more noticable. Thanks guys for the tips, My mom as been wondering what to do about it.
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Wed Jul 6, '05 11:51pm PST 
OOH! I had dandruff, too, but when my human got me better quality food, it stopped. Remember -- dandruff is your skin's way of getting rid of impurities. If you eat wet food, your human can also add things called lecithin and wheat bran to your meal -- 1/8 teaspoon of each. That will help make your fur soft and shiny and healthy and free of dandruff.
[notify]