GO!

Clipping or Trimming Claws

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mr. Linux

CEO (Cat- Executive- Officer)

Purred: Thu Jun 23, '05 10:13am PST 
Mom needs a little help with clipping and trimming my claws. I think she just needs to learn how to hold me to do it. I am a little fussy and when they get close to my paws I think they are playing with me so I keep squirming around. Please give your suggestions it will be very much appreciated.
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Thu Jun 23, '05 5:44pm PST 
Ooh! I don't like getting my claws trimmed much, either. Sometimes my human just lightly holds my paws, but she doesn't try to cut the claws. I think she just wants to get me used to having my paws touched, and she says lots of nice things to me while she's holding them. Your human might want to try that, and build up to actually clipping the tips of the claws -- just the tips! And really, humans should be happy if we let them cut even only one claw at a sitting.
[notify]

Artemis

The skittish- goddess

Purred: Thu Jun 23, '05 10:27pm PST 
Aww, man! This just inspired my mom to try clipping my claws. Let me tell you, the two things I hate more than anything are being held or enclosed and having my feet touched. Mom got one claw, and she gave me some treats and pets and played with me, and she got away totally not bleeding! She mumbled something about trying to do this every day so I "get used to it." We'll see. I suppose it's better than going to the vet just for a manicure.
[notify]

Mr. Linux

CEO (Cat- Executive- Officer)

Purred: Fri Jun 24, '05 7:31am PST 
So this is what mom tried to do. She stood me up my back torwards her so she grabbed a paw and was able to trim a few. If there are other ways that she should hold or handle me I am all ears. It was not easy I tell you. But I think she just nipped the tips not even going close to the quick. I think it was a pratice run.
[notify]

Frankie

The Brother From- Another Planet

Purred: Fri Jun 24, '05 10:10am PST 
One of my humans is a groomer, and she has occasionally taken clippers to us all (like when the new sofa showed up). She wraps her left arm around me and holds each paw firmly in turn, and steadily but quickly nips away. I used to fight and squirm but she just held me closer, told me to pay attention and kept going...like she was the Boss of Me. She's been doing it since I was very young, so I've learned to tolerate it.
[notify]

Scotty

Does this collar- make me look- fat?

Purred: Fri Jun 24, '05 10:40am PST 
Frankie, that's what our mom does, hold me close. She sits on the couch with me held firmly against her (sometimes with pillows propped up and pressed around me). I eventually resign myself to it and it's not so bad, especially since she gives me a lot of soothings and then a treat when we're done.

However, my sister Mo will never give up the squirming fight and resign herself to clippings! So dad has to hold her while mom clips. Whew! And yet they still give her a treat too. Oh, well.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Jun 24, '05 10:25pm PST 
Our mommy holds us in her lap with our backs to her, in an upright sort of human-style sitting position with our legs sticking out when she trims our claws. When we were younger, she used to swaddle us in a blanket with only the paw she was working on uncovered, but as we got older we got used to it and stopped fussing too much (especially since we know that we'll get a treat as soon as she's done--usually catnip! : )), so she doesn't need to wrap us anymore.

Good luck with your trimming! It's not as bad as you probably think, so just relax and it'll be over before you know it.

Jacques

Fiend #2.

Purred: Sun Jun 26, '05 4:19am PST 
Yo, Frankie and Scotty! We think your cat mothers "got it."
Our cat mother has us on her lap with her left arm around us and lifts a paw, then goes at it with her right hand. (Well, different if you are left-handed...) All claws, one paw, then the next.
What she/we discovered is that it is good to pick a time when we are all relaxed -- like don't just grab us if we are prowling, playing or tail-twitching! Maybe one of us will be sitting on her lap, then she carries us over to where the lil nippers are kept (nearby), sits back down and tells us we are going to "do paws now." She never holds us tight -- just firmly. WE don't like to be held tightly, and don't think most cats do! She makes sure she is very relaxed so she is not sending panic signals, so WE relax. If we squirm, she says, "Don't be silly, you know this is good for cats." (Of course we don't know any such thing, but we stay calm as long as she stays calm!)
p.s. She always did Selket first because she is older, and I watched closely and when it was my turn, I knew it was okay.
Good luck! heh heh.
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Jun 26, '05 11:58am PST 
Jacques, I think you figured out the humans. Mine trimmed me up once when I was just about asleep, and to be honest, I was way too tired to resist. I think she got six or seven done that time.
[notify]

Gysmo,- (Always in- my heart)

Miranda, my love

Purred: Sun Jun 26, '05 5:51pm PST 
Well mom sits on the couch and puts me on her lap face up and my hind feet are at her knees. She sometimes 'holds' my shoulders with her elbows. We are all Persians, or Himmys, so we are pretty docile! My siblings and I didn't like it at 1st, but now we don't mind because she has never hurt us.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3