GO!

Help... Overgrooming

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mia

Princess Mia

Purred: Sun Oct 30, '05 1:43pm PST 
I need help!! Mia has always been a groomer, but ever since we have brought home our dog she has been over grooming and leaving bald spots on her stomach. We brought her to the vet and they say it is just like OCD in people and we could put her on a anti-depressant but that is about it. I am not sure i want to go that route so i got some apple bitter for cats and put that on her spot, she sniffs it, licks it, gives a wierd look and then keeps licking!!!! My sister told me to try Comfort Zone with the pheromones. Has anyone tried it for something like this??? or any other suggestions???
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Oct 30, '05 2:48pm PST 
Wow! What a stressful situation! I don't know about Comfort Zone, but something else you might want to try is Bach's Rescue Remedy, which is a homeopathic product and is designed to relieve stress and anxiety in animals and people.

It comes in a small bottle with a dropper, and you can find it in health food stores, Whole Foods or other similar places. You will need to dilute it in another dropper bottle, using spring water, and shake it. Add a few drops a day in her water dish. If she's not a water drinker (I'm not), you can also put it in her wet food. (you could also give it to her by dropper, but a lot of cats won't put up with that)

Another option is Bach's rescue remedy cream, which contains the same solution but is a skin cream. I tend to get itchy and my human puts it on me when I create sore spots on my skin. I've actually licked it up from time to time and have never had a bad reaction to it. It's very soothing.

Oh, and some extra TLC may also help, too. With the upset in the family balance, it can't hurt!
[notify]

Mia

Princess Mia

Purred: Sun Oct 30, '05 4:07pm PST 
Thank you much!! I will look into that. It does not hurt to try!!!
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Oct 30, '05 4:08pm PST 
Glad to help! (nice thing is that it's harmless, and if it doesn't work for kitty, it works for humans!)
[notify]

Selket

Fiend #1.

Purred: Sun Oct 30, '05 6:45pm PST 
Humans? Cat grandmas? he hee
[notify]

Pudgey

My Bonnie lies- over the ocean

Purred: Mon Oct 31, '05 7:51am PST 
Hi, I am also an over groomer. I have left bald patches on my tummy, my front leg and my back leg. Most of the patches have grown in again. The reason my mommy didnt give me the anti depressants is because when she was little her old cat had the same problem, and she was put on the pills. When her kitty was given a full pill, she became like a zombie, she would barely move and would actually drool. (not very becoming behaviour for a kitty) but when she cut it back to half a pill, it had no affect and the kitty would continue to lick her fur off.

So anyway, long story short, my mommy's old kitty stopped licking herself all the time and let the fur grow back, and so did I.

But my mommy is also going to look into that natural remedy.
[notify]

Mia

Princess Mia

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '05 5:31pm PST 
That is why i dont want to take pills either...Scarry...
[notify]

Simba

Purred: Fri Nov 18, '05 5:10am PST 
I have a compulsion for washing my self until I am sore, I also self mutilate,I would dig half my face away, bite my toes till they bled. Mom tried various things but what has worked for me was rescue remedy drops in my food. She started off putting 4 drops in my food every meal time and when she saw it was working she started cutting, now I only have some when Im stressed. I no longer dig at my face or bite my toes unless I am stressed. It worked wonders on me.
[notify]

emma

you're not the- boss of me

Purred: Fri Nov 18, '05 4:36pm PST 
Hi! i did the same thing to my belly - my stupid mom didn't realize it until the vet pointed it out - i was all stressed from the addition of my new sister...the vet recommended a product called content UM, it's a natural food supplement - pills or drops...it calms me (somewhat) and my hair is starting to grow back-we also have 3 feliway diffusers in the house. mommy also distracts me when i overgroom with toys, etc. Good luck! hope you feel better soon.
[notify]

Xavier

I am carnivore,- hear me meow

Purred: Sat Nov 19, '05 8:31am PST 
Poor Mia! My mom had great success in using the rescue remedy with one of the doggies that live here. He has real bad anxiety problems and mom didn't feel comfortable giving him doggie prozac. She used to just put a couple drops on her finger tips and would rub in on the inside of his ear flap. I don't know how well you would tolerate that though. A very important thing to remember is not to contaminate the remedy by touching the dropper to anything, even your own hands.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2