GO!

Greta is better, but maybe I am not

This is a special place for cats to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give a "get well purr" and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

Greta

Young at Heart

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 6:38pm PST 
My old lady cat got pretty sick earlier this year, mostly some pretty common problems for older kitties: hyperthyroidism and some decreased kidney function.

She had very serious dental disease, though, and ended up having most of her teeth removed. That was where things started to get scary. She seemed to be doing well after her surgery, but developed a rare but serious complication, and had to be hospitalized, followed by a long recovery at home.

She is doing really well now. Her blood tests have been good, she is eating well and gaining weight, she's happy and active, and things overall are great.

The problem is that she may have forgotten how sick she was a few weeks ago, but I can't. I never want to take my eyes off her, let alone leave her for any length of time. I'm too worried that something will happen to her now, after all we've been through, and things that I wouldn't worry too much about before have me on the phone with the vet now (they must think I'm nuts).

It can't be good for her to have her mom so worried about her all the time. Anyone have some advice for me?
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 8:32pm PST 
Thio is Delyte. Eight years ago when I was a frisky ten years old, I developed a giant growth in my intestines and they wanted to put me away immediately. My person talked them into taking it out and waiting, and after a very scary recovery process [force feeding!} I got better. Then I got outside for a week and hid in the woods! Since I came back, my person is ultra protective of me. I am now slowly going from the hyperthyroid and kidney failure route, and my person agonizes over whether to send me to the Bridge or let me stay another day. It could go either way every day. But she doesn't care what the vet thinks. Unfortunately the wonderful vet who saved me left their practice and those left are not nearly as attached to their clients as they could be. But they like taking my person's money and doing hideous unspeakable things to me like taking blood and clipping my weird claws.

So enjoy every day of your kitty's life and don't worry about what others think. On the other hand, you have been given a taste of what it will be without her, and that day will come. The saddest things about all furry pets is that they never live as long as humans and then you have that horrible separation. So you have to keep a balance. There are so many people who post on here about their 15 or 20 or even older pets going and they cannot deal with the pain because they never really considered it. We've had to deal with it. It won't be an unimaginable time, at least for us. Giant shaky purrs to you! cat on moon
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu Jul 18, '13 2:47pm PST 
You can only do what you can do. I get it, for sure I do - Tigger has heart disease, and honestly could last a long time... or not. He had a urinary blockage & I almost lost him. So yes, there are days that I end up unintentionally waking him up to make sure he is still breathing. I leave emergency # for my mom when we go camping. I look for him if I don't see him for a while. It is learning to balance this while enjoying each day you have with your kitty. Honestly none of us really know how long we will be here...but if you have alot of anxiety, your kitty will sense that. Just take a breath & take it a day at a time. They do say that petting a kitty reduces stress! wink
[notify]