GO!

Liver Failure

This is a special place for cats to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give a "get well purr" and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Duke ~*RIP*~

You will BOW- before me!

Purred: Sat Apr 5, '08 10:08pm PST 
You can read all the details about what's going on with Duke in his diary. I'll do a short summary here.

Duke has been poisoning himself by drinking from our toilet. We use an automatic toilet bowl cleaner (never again) and I guess he's been drinking from it for the past few months. Now his liver is failing.

I'm trying to figure out how I can get him to eat. Our vet said that if we could just get him eating again she thinks he'll pull through just fine since he doesn't have access to the toilet anymore. He has special prescription food but he won't touch it. The only thing he'll eat right now is gravy and I'm syringe feeding him yogurt 3 times a day.

I'm trying to find someone, anyone, that has gone through something like this. I'm all out of ideas and I'm really scared.

Thanks for listening.
[notify]

Boxie Brown- Forever

Boxie B.- with a- goatee!!

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 4:58am PST 
Cats absolutely HAVE to eat, I cannot stress this enough. If he will not eat on his own you will have to syringe feed him and need to be feeding him something with nutrients in it such as a canned food mixed with a little water, preferably A/D food, which you can get from your vet. He will need to be syringe fed small amounts several times a day.

You may also try NUTRI CAL PASTE you can get it locally at PetSmart.

Also you could try some baby foods however, you need to make sure there is no onion in the food as onions are toxic to cats.

I really hope Duke pulls through. We are purring for you!
[notify]

Duke ~*RIP*~

You will BOW- before me!

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 5:58am PST 
Thanks Boxie. I should have gone into more detail in my first post. I am doing everything that you've suggested except NutriCal and the baby food. These will be my next steps.

The NutriCal sounds wonderful. I'm going to head over to Petsmart and pick some up today. Thanks! I can't believe the vet never brought it up.

Last night I stayed up with Duke till 2am and finally got him to eat a little bit more than he usually does. He (as usual) licked all the gravy out of a can of Fancy Feast Turkey Feast in Gravy. After that I got him to eat some kitty treats. He loves those Pounce tarter control treats and I managed to get him to gobble down 13 of them. It's a great improvment and I'll take it.

He ate more gravy this morning on his own. I'll keep syringe feeding him throughout the day. It's just so difficult because he is so angry about this and now cowers and runs from me because he seems to think I'm torturing him when I syringe feed him. I hate being the bad guy but it has to be done and my husband just doesn't have the "stomach" for it.

In the midst of typing this post my husband went into the kitchen to find that Duke returned to the Fancy Feast and is now eating, chewing, and swallowing the meat pieces! cheer
[notify]

Boxie Brown- Forever

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 6:25am PST 
Hooray! Go Duke, go Duke! Seems like we live really close so I will send extra loud purrs and hopefully you will hear them loud and clear and eat and eat!

I know it stinks and you hate it, but your Mom is really doing the best thing for you!

Edited by author Sun Apr 6, '08 6:26am PST

[notify]

Loco

Livin la vida- Loco

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 8:02am PST 
We are so glad to hear of positive progress - keep up the good work kitty pal!!!
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 8:03am PST 
Good Boy - EAT EAT EAT!!!!

xoxoxo

Bedelia- (Angel- 10/20/11)

Happy Girl

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 11:40am PST 
I was a dedicated hunger-striker and had to be tube-fed. Of course I was a small kitty and you're a big kitty. Not fun but afterwards I felt a lot better.

Good luck and keep eating so you can get well! dancing

Meows,
Bedelia
[notify]

Tigger- McGrumpypant- s ('95-'10)

This is my house- - you will do as I- say.

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 12:41pm PST 
Hi Duke!

I hope you are eating more now, but we went through the same thing food issues with our kitty brother Bear (who is now at the Bridge from kidney failure).

Other kitties have made some good suggestions: Nutrical and baby food. Like they mentioned, no onion!

Here are some other options we have tried at various times:
1) Freshly cooked chicken (no flavoring)
2) Deli chicken/turkey/roast beef from the deli counter (again with no seasonings)
3) Adding cat gravy over food. Some pet stores sell this in a bottle.
4) Cat nip as an appetite stimulant. Can put it next to food, on food, anything.
5) Hill's AD prescription food.
6) MaxCal for syringe feedings, also a prescription but it has mega calories in one can. Would guess he could eat this out of the can as well. It is pretty liquidy.
7) Anything he wants to eat otherwise! Food and calories is the most important thing!

Don't give up! Lots of kitties have gone through similar things and have made it just fine. it takes patience and perserverence.

Keep us posted on how he is doing.
[notify]

Duke ~*RIP*~

You will BOW- before me!

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 3:09pm PST 
You all are so wonderful here! Thank you for taking the time to post and for caring so much.

Duke is still doing good. I picked up some NutriCal today and fed it to him. He HATED it but I still got him to eat it so I can deal with his little temper tantrums. He has officially decided that to get even with me he is now a permanent fixture on our dining room table. laugh out loud

He also ate some dry food on his own, about 40 pieces, yeah I stood there and counted I'm weird like that.

Tigger thanks for posting that little list.

1) I always keep fresh chicken around so this is now on my list to try.
2) I forgot that he loves sliced turkey. Listed!
3) I did purchase a bottle of this at petsmart and he hated it. Really surprising since he loves the gravy in the Fancy Feast cans.
4) I did not know that catnip was an appetite stimulant. Listed as well!
5) We just paid $40 for a bag of prescription ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet™ feline HYPOALLERGENIC HP 23™. He won't touch even a crumb of it.
6) I will quiz my vet about Eukanuba MaxCal. I could not find much info about it online. Thanks!
7) Absolutely! way to go

My vet also brought up two other things that we can do. She said we could give him a vitamin B shot, sometimes it can stimulate their appetite. She also heard from other vets that use valium and swear by it.

Also to help his liver she recommends doing IV Fluids. I think this is a good idea.

I think we are going to pass on the shot and valium for now since Duke already is improving. I thought I'd bring them up though to see if anyone else has tried them before.

Thanks for all the great help! I'll keep posting his progress.
[notify]

Boxie Brown- Forever

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '08 4:00pm PST 
Oh you know what else Duke, you don't have to get a vitamin B shot, you can get vitamin B liquid that you can give him daily with his wet food!
CLICK HERE I think the Twinlab is the best, non-herbal of course. Mom just got us some at Health Foods Unlimited in Dayton, but I am sure you can find it closer to you. It works a lot of times to stimulate the appetite and is water soluble so you don't have to worry about giving too much.

Also when my Bridge brother Winnie was not eating Mom could always get him to eat Chicken McNuggets. He loved those!

Fluids are never a bad idea and can help flush the system of toxins. So I say go for that. You can usually do them at home.

We've used Valium on kitties at our house with limited success, there is also an antihistamine that you can use too, we've also had limited success with that.

I am glad to hear you ate some dry food today! Keep it up!

Edited by author Sun Apr 6, '08 4:05pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2