GO!

Has anyone tried Felines pride or recommend food like it

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nicole

Purred: Thu Feb 8, '07 12:17pm PST 
I have been researching what food is best to feed my cat and I can honestly say I have never been more confused. I want a good healthy food for my 1 year old cat. I got her from the humane soceity and she was being fed science diet and has been eversense. But now after researching I have found science diet is not liked by the feline community. I have tried some others like whiskas and nutrience but I cant seem to get her off of science diet. My research has led me to felines pride as a good option but can anyone recommend a food that I can buy at a store that is like it, basically grain free, vegi free and lots of meat no by-products. She is going for her first check up tomorrow. She is playful and seems in good health. Her stool is not runny but is a little small. Her coat is a little oily and she scratches her neck and head alot. Shes been sneezing. I believe alot of this is due to not getting the proper nutrients. So felines pride anyone try it or something like it?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Feb 8, '07 12:47pm PST 
Here's a thread with links to good premium foods: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/352294

Yo u'll have to look at the ingredients on the comapny web sites and comapre them to find one that meets your requirements.

The only two grain-free dry foods are Innova EVO and Nature's Variety Raw Instinct. The ingredients of both are very good, though they both contain some fruits and vegetables. Many canned premium foods also contain some amount of fruits and vegetables.
[notify]

Nicole

Purred: Thu Feb 8, '07 1:06pm PST 
Thanks for the link. I will add those to the list of foods I will compare.
[notify]

♥Madd- y- McCatterson

Slappin- beagles.......it- 's what I do.

Purred: Fri Feb 9, '07 10:45pm PST 
I eat a food called Great Life and I have the softest fur and because there is no filler I can eat less of it. I like it a lot.
[notify]

Diana

MEOW

Purred: Sat Feb 10, '07 8:45am PST 
I wanted to add to Merlin's post - Wellness is another food that's canned that also is grain free in some varieties. I love it!
[notify]

Buddy

Mrow! I love- food!

Purred: Sat Feb 10, '07 1:23pm PST 
Felines pride from what I can gather is a pre-made raw food. Is this the one you're talking about?
If so, pre-made raw foods tend to be pretty localized. There are only a few that are sold widespread, becuase it's much more expensive to transport frozen product.

Look around in the shops near you (don't forget the independant ones!) to find what's available in your area.
[notify]

Buddy

Mrow! I love- food!

Purred: Sat Feb 10, '07 1:26pm PST 
OOOH! I just noticed you're in Mississauga! You can get the food we feed smile

www.tryhealthypaws.com

It has some veggie content, but it's low in the cat formulas. It's an EXCELLENT food!
[notify]

Aldo: by Laurel

Purred: Mon Feb 12, '07 7:42am PST 
Hi, Nicole.

Yes, Buddy is correct. Feline's Pride is a prepared raw food. My Mommy is switching my little sister Tess and myself over to raw and so she first eliminated all chow/kibble and changed our canned food to a premium canned called Wellness. Wellness has many grain-free varieties, but there are a few that do contain grains. Just fyi, kibble has so much grain--it's been likened to cereal for cats (and dogs)! Anyway, I love the Feline's Pride but Tess is taking a bit longer to accept it--Tess was a kibble-only eater and a very picky eater to begin with--so Mommy is mixing the Wellness with the Feline's Pride until Tess will eat Feline's Pride by itself. (This kind of lengthy acceptance period over to raw is perfectly normal, btw, for some cats.)

Feline's Pride is highly recommended as one of the very few premade raw foods that is extremely close to an actual homemade raw recipe. It tastes good, too. I could be wrong on this, but I believe Feline's Pride is the only premade raw that is actually recommended by long-term raw feeders. Mommy is using Feline's Pride only until she feels brave enough to make her own raw!

As far as premium canned, I only know Wellness. I liked Wellness and even Tess accepts it, which says a lot!

Good luck!!!!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Feb 16, '07 7:12am PST 
Meows, Nicole. I found a premium canned food that is vegetable and fruit-free and grain and by-product-free: http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/organiccannedcat.php It comes only in cans. There is a store locator function on the web site. you can probbaly buy the food online at PetFoodDirect.com or at OnlyNaturalPet.com, too.
[notify]

Dudley

Manly cats don't- lie around- indoors!

Purred: Tue May 12, '09 12:56pm PST 
I and my cat-dad, cat-mom, and cat-sibling have eaten a daily diet of about a 1/4 cup each Felines Pride and varying amounts of high-quality dry and canned for about three and a half years now. We each eat different things (some like certain canned foods, some won't eat any canned), but the constant among us is the Felines Pride. I had a vet mention that they don't recommend a raw diet because of salmonella dangers, but we have NEVER had a problem with Felines Pride causing illness, and we have no health issues whatsoever. The food comes frozen, in Rubbermaid food containers, packaged in a styrofoam cooler with an ice pack or two (and a WONDERFUL free catnip bag toy). We've had a problem with thawed food once (it sat somewhere over a weekend in warm weather), and the Felines Pride people replaced it. Because of the shipping and packaging costs, it can be expensive, but there is less waste and we are healthier, I think, for it. Our people-mom tried to serve us another brand of raw, frozen as a "chub" (can't remember the brand), but the we would not eat it...not even feral mom-cat.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2