GO!

Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Diana

MEOW

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 10:13am PST 
I was wondering if any cats on here eat this? I know that tuna on a regular basis isn't good for cats, but mom was wondering if this was okay for an occasional treat once every few weeks. I love greenies, but was recommended not to eat this due to the high carb content. I did try the dried meat jerky from the pet food store, but I wouldn't touch it.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 10:23am PST 
Trader Joe's tuna food is fine once in awhile. All fsh foods should only be given once in awhile. Fish are kind of high in phosphorus can can cause UTIs.

I love Feline Greenies, too, but I can't eat too many because of the carb content. Have you tried bonito flakes? They are dried tuna flakes and are very low in carbs. Humans use the flakes to make a Japanese soup called miso. Pet stores also sell the flakes, sometimes called Kitty Kaviar. I personally do not care for bonito flakes but there are many felines who do. For treats, I like the occasional Feline Greenie and cooked chicken.

Do you need treats that are low in carbs? Here is a list of treats you may like: http://www.felinediabetes.com/low-carb-cat-treats.htm
[notify]

Diana

MEOW

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 10:29am PST 
Thanks, Merlin! I'm trying to stay away from carbs and grains because of my weight. I'm a real chub. I'm not sure how much I weigh now b/c mom hasn't taken me to the vet in about 2 months for my weigh-in, but I weighed just over 18 lbs. in mid-November (I was over 20 back in August, so that's an improvement!).

I will keep my eye out for kitty caviar!
[notify]

Sindri

I'm a meerkat!

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 10:30am PST 
I just want to add that if you're looking for a scrumptious, healthy cat treat, you may want to try Halo Liv-a-Littles. They are freeze-dried yummy goodness!! They are mentioned on the site Merlin gave you and I just want to give you my purrsonal expurrience with them: I cannot live without them!! smile

Diana

MEOW

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 10:37am PST 
Thanks, Sindri! What is the texture/smell of the food? Mom thinks that I won't eat anything unless it has a nice meaty smell (she thinks it's stinky, but what does she know?).
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 10:55am PST 
The Trader Joes Tuna is a cat food. So it is safe enough to feed on a regular basis, unlike human tuna. But, as Merlin said,as a general rule, you want to watch how much fish we get. Fish ahs been linked to UTI's.
[notify]

Sindri

I'm a meerkat!

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 11:01am PST 
Diana, the Liv-a-Littles have no ingredients other than freeze-dried meat. There are chicken ones, beef, salmon, and one other type but I can't remember exactly which kind it is. I am a very picky eater when it comes to treats and these are the only ones I will eat (other than another brand of freeze-dried salmon called Wildside Salmon).

The best thing about the Liv-a-Littles is that they are so healthy they are even okayed by the USDA! So humans could even eat them, if they were so inclined. Actually, Mom just found out over the holidays that one of her cousins worked at the Halo plant for a few months and her job was putting the treats in the jars... if she got hungry she'd eat a few on break! And the other employees would do the same! Mom doesn't think she'd be able to do that, but it just goes to show how safe they are smile

All 5 of the cats in my family love these things. If you're going for smelliest, I'd say the salmon flavor would probably have the strongest odor but the chicken is my purrsonal favorite smile

Sindri

I'm a meerkat!

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 11:02am PST 
Oh and they are pricey at 10 dollars a jar but well worth it! They can last a really long time, as long as your Mom doesn't let you have as many as you want (I could eat a whole jar in one sitting but Mom won't let me wink

Edited by author Sun Jan 7, '07 11:04am PST

Tigger

The Tigster

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 11:25am PST 
I agree that it should only be given on a treat-type basis. In addition to Merlin's comment, it is the magnesium in fish that makes it more of an issue for UTI's and crystals. Feeding any meat-product with no calcium will cause an excess of phosphorus, but the amount of phosphorus the extra magnesium makes it even double the risk.

With that said, if you don't have a cat w/ urinary issues or that is susceptible to them (I know you can't really know), it is fine. I give Tigg some tuna every once-in-awhile...it's his weakness, lol smile I have tried Trader Joe's brand, but it is a bit pricey smile

Edited by author Sun Jan 7, '07 11:26am PST

[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Jan 7, '07 1:49pm PST 
Uh, my human would cut off my Liv A Little supply if she knew I was telling you this, but one time she snuck one of the chicken ones. She said it tasted like really, really tasty chicken. I guess all of the flavor gets concentrated during the freeze drying process.

So, they're not only cat-approved, but human approved as well!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2