GO!

Grain free dry food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Tex

Purred: Tue Feb 11, '14 9:10pm PST 
Hi. Tex is a Cornish Rex. He is 8 years and has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. He eats wet ZD. He has tried several dry brands and throws up. Any suggestions on Grain free dry with a few ingredients? Thank You.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Feb 12, '14 4:16am PST 
I'm not sure why you'd want to feed any dry. Check out catinfo.org for more info.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Feb 12, '14 9:09am PST 
Could you only feed canned food? thinking If food needs to be left out during the day, you can use a programmable timed feeder.

Z/D is for sensitive tummies thinking There are lots of commercially available limited ingredient brands of food that you could eat instead and it would cost much less than the prescription stuff. Nature's Variety Instinct has a Limited Ingredient line. Natural Balance (I think?) has a pea and duck allergy formula.

Maybe instead of regular dry food you can consider freeze dried raw food instead. Freeze dried raw food is a lot healthier than any dry food and most have a similar crunchy texture. Stella and Chewy's is one brand to try.

Freeze dried food should be rehydrated before serving but it could be fed dry. Just be sure to add water to the canned food to keep the cat well hydrated smile
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Feb 12, '14 2:30pm PST 
With HCM you must watch the salt. Tigger gets 98% wet food, and just a few kibble of Halo or a couple treats per day. IF you really cannot use only wet, then the lower on the list the salt or sodium is, the better for this disease. And lots of water to keep him flushed!
[notify]

Fluffy

Rest in Peace- Lady of the- Bones

Purred: Tue Feb 25, '14 7:13am PST 
Here are a few:

Halo
Wellness Core
Orijen

I suggest asking your vet about these.

I feed my kittens orijen(orange bag) I've recently weaned them off Science Diet. They enjoy it and it has a very nice high protein content. They will not currently eat wet food, but I plan on introducing Halo grain-free soon. The last time that they tried wet food the litter box was a runny mess--kittens have sensitive stomachs!

http://www.chewy.com/cat/orijen-cat-kitten-grain-free-d ry-cat/dp/29728

Edited by author Tue Feb 25, '14 7:25am PST

[notify]