GO!

Special needs allergy

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Sat Dec 14, '13 9:49am PST 
Hello! We've been on Catster for years but haven't been active in a very long time. I need some help though and was hoping that maybe the crew here could give me some pointers because I'm at my wits end!

Kenya is 14 and has been with me for 13 years. She's been getting sick lately and we were told that it's likely a food allergy to chicken. We switched to Natural Balance LID Duck and Green Pea and the majority of her issues disappeared (mostly vomiting and pooping and not being able to get to the litter box in time).

Here's the special needs part...
We got a kitten just before we discovered what Kenya's problem was. The kitten was 4 months old and is now 5 months old. I'm feeding her wet food morning and night and leaving dry food out the rest of the time. I had the baby, Lyra, on Wellness dry kitten food which is a chicken based food. Kenya has decided that the baby food is much better than her duck and so she's been munching on it more than Lyra has been. As you can imagine, Kenya has been sick a couple of times so I've been on a quest to find a food that is high in the nutrients that a kitten should have but that won't make Kenya sick.

Wellness Kitten food has 36% crude protein, 18% crude fat, 3% crude fiber.
Last night we bought Nature's Instinct Grain-free Turkey dry food that has 40% crude protein, 18% crude fat, and 3.5% crude fiber. After much research and looking at ingredients, this was the only non-kitten food that had the levels of protein that we're looking for while not having too much fiber (another possible culprit with Kenya as the Bistro Senior had a lot more fiber than her previous Merrick food).

Lyra scarfed down the new food last night with gusto. So did Kenya, after Lyra was done. Kenya got sick again in the middle of the night.

So my question is... what kitten appropriate food is there that is grain free AND chicken/turkey free? I've heard bad things about feeding fish on a regular basis too, and the only other non-chicken kitten food that I've found is whitefish.

With my work schedule and summer travels, a raw diet really isn't an option. They must be able to be on dry food.

We have one other cat, Cassie. She's 6 and has a bit of a sensitive stomach but has been fine. We've been grain free for at least 10 years now.

I should add that I decided to put the new food on top of the cat tree this morning in an effort to keep Kenya out of the food. She hasn't shown any interest in the tree since we got it a couple weeks ago, so maybe that will be our answer instead of finding another food. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by author Sat Dec 14, '13 9:53am PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Dec 15, '13 6:50am PST 
Try Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredidents food: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/limited-ingredient-food-dogs-and-cats There's a duck and a rabbit one in both dry and canned formulas.

The line is appropriate for all life stages, including kittens smile You really don't need to feed a kitten specific formula. In the wild, weaned kittens just eat whatever the adults do and they grow up healthy smile If you really wanted to, you can give a supplement on the side to the kitten. You can get supplements as treats or gels at the pet store.

You can make food more appealing to the older cat by sprinkling FortiFlora or crushed up treats onto the food. Nature's Variety has a supplement powder that you can use. Crushed up freeze dried meat treats or freeze dried raw food work great, too smile
[notify]

Kenya

Diva- Extraordanaire!

Purred: Wed Dec 25, '13 8:19am PST 
Thank you.

Kenya is having issues with the duck now too so we've moved to Nature's Instinct LID Rabbit to see how she does there. I also bought the Raw Boost in Lamb for the kitten to put in her food so they're eating the same thing. I didn't know about that product, so thank you so much! I know there are a couple different thoughts on kitten diet and some say that they can eat the same food as the adults but I want her to have every advantage. Her vet also recommends her to be on a kitten food until she's about a year.

Kenya's next step, if the LID diets don't work is a hydrolized diet. I hope we don't have to go there but I'll do what I have to to keep her healthy.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Fri Dec 27, '13 4:17pm PST 
I had to put Maizy on a hydrolyzed diet for a few months, and was then able to transition her to Nature's Variety. The prescription one seems to work, but be forewarned that at least for her, it made some stinky poots!
[notify]