GO!

How Much at one feeding?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  

Purred: Sat Dec 21, '13 4:54pm PST 
Hi -- I have a question that is off of the last few posts, but fits in with the forum title. How much (food) at one feeding?

I have 4 cats (3 girls, 1 boy) who previously were on Wellness Core turkey and duck dry food and free-fed. A couple of weeks ago, one of them (the boy) had a urethral obstruction. He's ok now, but obvi (and per vet recommendation) is now on all wet food. Since I have a large cat family, I can't imagine the stress involved in trying meal times, avoiding dry food for the one, etc. So they all are now on canned wet food. Fortunately, the transition period was relatively smooth. 2 took to cans like piggies, but the boy and another girl had a difficult time. But it only took about 2 weeks to get them all on wet. (The one girl still holds out sometimes, but after the others have eaten, I catch her eating it so I know she's ok and will adapt.)

All that background said, I'm having a difficult time navigating through all the nutrition details and how much to feed at meal times. According to AAFCO, they say 1 oz per pound of body weight. I'm feeding them twice a day but that's about 32 ozs per day! That can't be right, can it?

If I just had one cat, I'd probably feed 1/2 can per meal. So I would do 4 cans with these 4 in theory, right? But according to the guidelines, it should be more like 6+ cans?

I realize I'm just at the beginning of transitioning the cats and that I'll learn their habits and how much is enough. But my main concern is that I don't want to give them too much because they are all at healthy weights and I'm hoping to keep them that way.

I did read Dr. Pierson's site "cover-to-cover" [http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth], and the site did reassure me that going all wet food was not only ok but preferable. So I'm totally on board with wet. (Even if it is lookingto be 3x more expensive than my cats' very expensive dry food! The things we do for our babies.)

I'm also very interested in feline nutrition and have been keeping track of nutritional information in a spreadsheet on the various wet foods I've been trying. So I'm happy to share what I've collected so far and am definitely interested in learning what others feed their cats and why.

My current plan is Wellness 12-oz cans of chicken or turkey in the morning with Whiskas Purrfectly Chicken pouches at night. But I'm starting to see other posts and articles all over the interwebs that their diet should be varied so as to prevent finicky eaters. I'm so confused.

I go poultry because one of them has a suspected beef allergy. If possible, I also stay away from seafood and fish because I heard that can be bad in large quantities and over time. As well, a vet told me that it's best to feed cats what they naturally could've caught in the wild, such as poultry. She continued, cats have beef or fish allergies because it's not natural to their diet. However, I know cats will catch and eat fish, too (I've lost a couple of goldfish this way), so I personally think fish is ok but I'm willing to believe in the beef allergy because I'd love to see the cat that can take down a cow.)

Anyway, first-time poster, long-time dry food cat owner here looking for any advice, thoughts, experiences, ideas, etc, as I venture into the world of wet food.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Dec 22, '13 7:02pm PST 
For a 9lb cat I'd say half a small can a feeding? Another thing you might want to try...
I know it's probably not nutritionally correct...but it's worked for us some forty years with weaning kittens, sick cats and dogs, pregnant and nursing cats...tuna oatmeal.

For kittens and young cats I used human baby oatmeal, for big cats and dogs instant plain human oatmeal is fine. You make the oatmeal and as it cools stir in some warmed milk or cream. Then mix in a quarter to half small can of tuna. Thin it with warm water and let it cool to room temp. Then Bon Appetit

No critter we've ever had has turned their nose up at it and it made a difference in recovery for some of the ailing ones. It is high calorie so feed it only once a day.

We keep dry food down around the clock too. Cats usually don't over eat so it's okay to just have a bowl of dry and a bowl of water out.

Edited by author Sun Dec 22, '13 7:05pm PST

[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2