GO!

How Much at one feeding?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Fri Nov 29, '13 8:04pm PST 
I have my kitty DeeJay who is being picky with eating her canned food right now. I was wondering how much is too much to expect her to eat in one sitting? I am trying to get her to gain weight, I work full time outside the home so max I could probably do 3 feedings per day. So about how many oz would be reasonable to expect her to eat? Right now she weighs about 9.8#, she should probably weight 12#
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Nov 30, '13 4:06am PST 
Did you see my response in your other thread? http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/790401 thinking

1 - 2 oz per meal is a typical meal size but some cats may eat a little more or less than that.

You can use a programmable feeder to provide multiple small meals daily. Human uses the Petsafe 5 compartment feeder. Canned food is ok if left out in a feeder or bowl all day way to go It might get a little dry but most cats are ok with that. Some people add extra water to keep the food moist longer. Others freeze canned food into cubes (use silicone ice cube tray) and pop a cube into each feeder compartment. The frozen cubes will slowly defrost and stay fresher longer. Since it akes a frozen cube a little while to completely defrost, the first meal or two in the feeder should be room temperature food so the cat has something to eat right away.
[notify]

DeeJay

Purred: Sat Nov 30, '13 5:33am PST 
Yes I read your reply. She quit eating for 2 days so yesterday my hubby picked up some Fancy Feast (I know not the best but I had to get some nutrition in her). She refuses to eat the nutrical, if I mix it with her food she wont eat, she is not the easiest cat in the world to force things down so it's a no go on the nutrical. I have been feeding her one of the little 3oz cans per feeding right now and most of the time she finishes the whole thing. As far as the timed feeders I would have to completely separate her from my other kitties, and I don't think that would make her very happy as she's pretty social with them.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Nov 30, '13 4:36pm PST 
Well, Fancy Feast is better than NO food at all smile You do what you have to do to get food into the cat, even if you have to resort to the junkiest dry food available way to go Food is better than fatty liver disease. Have you tried gravy based foods? Lots of cats go nuts for gravy foods. But some cats will only lick up the gravy and not eat the food thinking

Definitely ask the vet for FortiFlora. No cat can resist the taste of that stuff way to go A little sprinkle on food is all you need. And ask about the high calorie Max Cal food.

Ask the vet about maybe supplementing with kitten milk replacer. That stuff is high in calories. Some brands come in liquid form so you can add it to canned food or jsut feed it as is. KMR is one brand.

Maybe you can separate the cat just for mealtimes? thinking I know that people with multiple cats that includes one or two with special dietary needs just buy a couple programmable timed feeders and place them all over the house. The cats can go to whichever feeder they want to eat.
[notify]

DeeJay

Purred: Sun Dec 1, '13 12:01am PST 
I don't think I could have the auto feeders as I have a boy Munchie who is very pushy at mealtimes and would eat everyone elses food. My hubby had the idea to put her in the office with my CH kitty Mini Dee (she pees on my couch if I don't) during the day. Mini Dee won't touch canned food, but that way I could leave some out for DeeJay to eat during the day. I have to figure out something she's lost 2oz this week.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Dec 1, '13 5:21am PST 
It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another vet smile Bring all the cat's medical records, including bloodwork and xrays, to the second vet for review. Losing weight is never good and there always seems to be a medical reason why esepcially for senior cats. Are the teeth ok? Sometimes painful teeth problems can cause a cat not to eat very much.

You can ask about using an appetite stimulant to help the cat eat more.

Edited by author Sun Dec 1, '13 5:21am PST

[notify]

DeeJay

Purred: Sun Dec 1, '13 10:32am PST 
I have talked to 2 different vets about her and had both of them review her bloodwork, both have the same conclusion, just a picky older cat. She has really good teeth, has never needed them cleaned (knocking on wood), her mouth doesn't seem painful (other than the fact she's never liked me looking in there) she has feline herpes so I think that she thinks I'm going to stuff pills when I look in it. She is only eating about 1/4 to 1/2 of a 3oz can per feeding right now.
[notify]

DeeJay

Purred: Sun Dec 1, '13 2:24pm PST 
We have some progress....on another forum it was suggested to try some raw (which isn't too hard for me as that's what I feed my dog just haven't been able to transition my kitties over), so this morning I gave her some chicken thigh, she ate about 4 dime sized pieces of it, this afternoon she ate about 5 dime sized pieces....progress.

Edited by author Sun Dec 1, '13 2:25pm PST

[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Dec 1, '13 4:42pm PST 
That's good that she ate the raw chicken applause Just remember that plain raw meat on its own is not a complete diet because it lacks all the important vitamins and minerals a cat needs. Try adding a little raw meat on top of canned food along with some FortiFlora.

What kind of raw food diet do you feed the dog? If it's a commerical brand you might be able to feed it to the cat as well. Check the label on the raw food package or the company web site to see if a cat formula is avaiable. Nature's Variety Instinct has a frozen raw food made for cats. It comes in little easy to eat nugget shapes, kind of like dry food. If the dog eats frankenprey, I think you can also feed it to the cat. You might want to check in with more experienced raw feeders over in the Raw Diet forum here on Catster just to check.
[notify]

DeeJay

Purred: Mon Dec 2, '13 2:31pm PST 
I feed my dog Prey Model Raw with balancing once a week. I do know that it's an incomplete diet, but right now I am just thrilled she is eating anything.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2