GO!

FREAKING OUT! Need Help!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Purred: Wed Nov 27, '13 6:56am PST 
I have 3 long haired cats, all are age 11. My most loving cat, Bonnie, I have noticed has been scooting her butt on my rugs, and he rear end is dark black. I immediately took her to the vet, where it was discovered that she has TAPEWORMS, and also her colon is compacted with poop. She was treated for the worms, and also the vet said to get her on some high fiber cat food. He also said that she needs to loose some weight because her fat is pushing on her colon? Anyway, my question is: what brand of food can I feed her that will help my poor baby????
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 27, '13 6:57am PST 
Oh and side note, she and her siblings have been fed Purina One dry food since I adopted them in the shelter.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Nov 27, '13 8:54am PST 
Did the vet prescribe any treatment for the constipation? thinking There are medicines that can help the poop move along in the colon. Unflavored Miralax, the same one sold in the pharmacy for Humans, can be used. It helps poop move along in the colon. The dose for cats is 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon once a day. Mix the powder in water first to dissolve it and then mix it into canned food (not dry food). Canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling, can also be used to provide fiber. I've never heard of obesity causing poop to move slowly through the colon thinking

A better diet will help your cats overall health way to go Purina One is full of grains and poor quality filler ingredients silenced It's no different from Human junk foods: greasy hamburger, potato chips, etc.

Water is needed to maintain proper bodily functions, including lubricating the poop so that it passes through the digestive tract and colon more easily.

A good place to start reading on proper diet is Catinfo.org smile A canned food only diet or raw food diet is best. But if you have to feed some dry, at least make it a grain-free high quality dry food and limit it to no more than 50% of the diet and add extra water to the canned food. Never add water to dry food because bacteria will grow and may case an upset tummy. Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Blue Buffalo are some good brands of dry food.

Edited by author Wed Nov 27, '13 8:55am PST

[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Fri Nov 29, '13 12:06pm PST 
If your cat will eat it, some like canned pumpkin or squash, which is high in fiber and helps moves things along. Not meant to be fed as the sole diet -- but this was recommended to me when my old cat had constipation and it worked great mixed with canned.

Look into a raw diet. :O) Toby has been fed raw since I adopted him at 6 weeks.
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Fri Nov 29, '13 7:55pm PST 
Try Vetasyl. I have a little in my wet food once per day. It does not alter the taste of my food and is a natural fiber powder that is easier to administer than pastes and the like. Just pull open a capsule and sprinkle some into the food and mix it in well. It is probably sold by your vet else you can get it online at Fosters and Smith or Amazon. My owner also cuts some catnip from the garden a couple of times per week and either adds a bit to my food or lets me eat it directly from his hand.

Someone else mentioned the importance of water. My owner adds a bit of water to my wet food. Not enough to make it soggy but just enough so I get a little extra hydration. Our food is always grain-free Wellness, Natural Balance, Pride, Halo, Blue Buffalo and a few others.
[notify]

JC

Wanna play?

Purred: Sun Dec 1, '13 6:53am PST 
Getting off Purina will help. Water does help, I purchased a water fountain for my cats and they love it. They drink a lot more water now and I notice the difference. They also get a small amount of canned food in the morning and evening as a treat and moisture in their diet.

I have heard that if your cat is backed up, giving them a little olive oil will help, it also helps with hairballs.

Someone mentioned pumpkin, that is a great source of fiber if you can get them to eat it.

Good luck
[notify]

Purred: Fri Dec 6, '13 8:20am PST 
Thanks so much for all the help & suggestions. She refuses to eat pumpkin :-(
I switched over to Blue Buffalo....the dry food with the most fiber though looks to be Science Diet, although I haven't heard great things about them. I feed my dogs Blue Buffalo and so I decided to go with them. My cats teeth are really in great shape. I am nervous to get them on a wet food diet, isnt that bad for their teeth?

Also, my cats are refusing the BB. I figure if they get hungry enough they will eat it...any suggestions?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Dec 6, '13 9:11am PST 
Only regular dental care will prevent teeth problems way to go There's no difference at all between canned food and dry food and how they affect the teeth. If food particles are left on the teeth and gums, bacteria will happily form and may cause dental issues. No food, not even the dry dental formulas, will keep teeth clean and healthy. It's like crunching on hard pretzels every day to try clean your own teeth shrug

Gnawing on raw meaty bones and organs might help some (after all, wild cats have pretty healthy teeth and they eat nothing but raw meats) but many people don't want to feed those to their cat for whatever reason.

Regular brushing with pet toothpaste will help as well as a professional dental cleaning once a year or so. You can ask for more info on how to do that in the Health forum smile

Try mixing the Blue Buffalo in with the old food so the cats get used to it. Give the cats a week or so to get used to the BLue Buffalo. If they still won't eat it, even when mixed with the old food, try a different brand shrug

Not all cats like pumpkin shrug The Miralax will work better since it's flavorless and easy to hide in canned food.
[notify]

Rio

Purred: Fri Dec 6, '13 5:25pm PST 
I concur on mixing the BB with the old food and converting them over time. We don't prefer Science Diet - our owners don't like to give us foods with rice as fillers. The Vetasyl is tasteless and mixes very well with wetfood.
[notify]