|Purred: Sun Nov 24, '13 1:39pm PST |
|Hello! This is my first post so bear with me...
I am looking after a cat for someone at the moment as the owner can't look after it. The cat is as small as my own 3kg cat height wise, but weighs 5.3kg which shocked even the vet who I'm sure has seen his fair share of fat cats. Obviously she has been on a diet since I got her, and she is very active, running around with my cat loads. She's clearly been obese for a long time (the owner thought she was slim).
When I first got her she was eating huge amounts of Purina dry cat food, as the three different people who have looked after the cat in the last half year have just given her everything she will eat. As she has received virtually no human contact in all this time and had no stimulation, it's hardly surprising that all she did was eat.
anyway since I've had her, I weaned her onto wet food with a high meat content as the dry food is virtually all grains and I don't feel that is good for a cat (dry food makes my other cat sick), but she was regularly vomiting mostly water, and I noticed that she had a habit of gulping up huge amounts of water getting through a whole bowl a day (my own cat rarely drinks water as she gets enough from the food). The vet suggested putting her onto dry food and to monitor the situation. For about two weeks she only vomited a couple of times on the dry food, but has today vomited a dark brown liquid that has the consistency of a chocolate sauce (sorry!) but also had what looked like some sort of thicker faecal matter in it. It didn't particularly smell, surprisingly and I have no idea what it was. She hasn't eaten since this morning and it's now 10 at night. She can't have eaten anything else throughout the day, but as usual she has drank a huge amount of water. She is fed separately from my own cat so she has only had her exact allocated mornings food...
Anyway I am of course taking her to the vet as soon as they open tomorrow morning, but I wanted to know:
- how can I wean her onto wet food without it making her sick all the time?
- is there anything else I should be looking out for in her behaviour to alert the vet of tomorrow?
- is there anything I can do tonight when feeding her that might prevent her from being sick again? I don't think she eats particularly fast (which is my other cats problem with dry food).
Sorry for the long first post! I'm just so worried about the cat, and I'd hate for her to be suffering at all.
|my posts|| [notify]|