GO!

excited to start wet food!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Tillie

A little cat- with a lot to- learn

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 12:12pm PST 
from what I've been reading, wet food is usually a better option for cats. currently Tillie is eating a dry Purina pro plan that we got free when we adopted her. she likes it but I also don't want her developing diabetes from eating too many carbs, etc. she already feels heavier than when we got her 3 weeks ago even though she isn't free fed. so the research I've been doing online has led me to ordering a variety pack of tiki cat to try out. we will introduce it very slowly to try avoid stomach issues. I should get it Monday! can't wait!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 4:44pm PST 
That's great way to go Canned food is a lot healthier for cats smile

Tiki Cat is mostly seafood based so I wouldn't feed that brand exclusively. There are a few non-seafood varieties. I know the cans look pretty and colorful to appeal to consumers but it's the ingredients that matter the most smile Look into other brands to feed, too smile Weruva, the rregular line and the Cats In The Kitchen line, is similar and lots of chicken/beef/etc varieties as well as seafood varieties. Pate/loaf style brands are good, too.
[notify]

Tillie

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 5:04pm PST 
Thanks for the recommendations! I am definitely ok with trying many different brands to have in a rotation! I have also tossed around the idea that if wet food goes well I may transition to raw food eventually, since in the long run it sounds like it's cheaper than buying a high quality canned food. I'm going to have to do this is baby steps though, because my husband is already going to think I'm crazy when he sees me feeding canned! naughty
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 4:45am PST 
Dry food is like crack to kitties - they get addicted! So don't be discouraged if they don't take to it right away. There are some helpful hint and products that can make the switch easier - just let us know!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 6:05am PST 
Some people just don't understand (or maybe even care why) a canned food diet is better than dry food shrug They just go by whatever a big name pet food company tells them about the food (all companies say good things about their products just to make a profit, even if it's junk) and maybe even what's easiest and convienient for them to feed and store in the house (ie dry food).

Dry food = Human junk food like potato chips. greasy fast food, candy, etc. You can survive on such a diet but you'll most likely have heath issues throughout life, like obesitiy and diabetes and (for cats) urinary issues.

Definitely take baby steps to make the transition to canned food way to go Some cats are picky and wont' eat a certain brand for some reason shrug Just try another brand. A good tip is to buy one can each of a couple different brands and give a small sample of each (not all at the same time) to the cat to see what his or her preference is. That way you're not buy a case of food only to find out the cat won't eat any of it.

Here are other good brands of food: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/774137 smile

There are current coupons for Nature's Variety's new Pride by Instinct line of food further down the board way to go http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/783700 Nature's Variety is a good brand way to go Human hasn't tried the new Pride varieties yet but they look exactly the same as the regular Instinct, just in minced and flaked textures with gravy. Be careful with gravy foods - some brands are almost all gravy/sauce with very little actual foodshock So you're paying like over $1 just for the gravy/sauce/water confused Pouched foods in gravy/sauce tend to be worse than cans.
[notify]

Tillie

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 12:26pm PST 
Thanks Merlin! I will definitely check out your recommendations! Is anyone familiar with Wysong?
[notify]

Tillie

Purred: Mon Sep 9, '13 5:54pm PST 
Excited to say that our first attempt at canned food tonight was a complete hit!!! I gave Tillie only about 1/8 of a 3 oz can of Tiki Cat (shredded chicken and egg variety) next to her dry food, and she ate like I've never seen her eat before! She didn't leave the bowl until it was gone, and when she did, the dry food I had right next to it sat untouched. I am still going to take the transition slowly, probably over a week until she is on full blown canned, but I am feeling optimistic to say the least! I've got to admit though, I am so tempted to just go cold turkey since she seems to love it so much! But I want to avoid any stomach issues if possible and keep a close eye on her while we make the switch. I also took your advice and took advantage of a $10 off your first order at onlynaturalpets.com and ordered a variety of single cans including Weruva, Wellness, and a few others. Hoping the rest of the week continues just as well and I will have a convert! smile
[notify]

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 10:37am PST 
We are excited for you too! Sounds like your kitty is liking the Tiki. I also started with canned by getting one can of each of several types, including Weruva, BFF, Tiki, NVI, NVI Pride, and Addiction. I went a little too fast and my babies got diarrhea, but once I slowed down, it cleared up and they now LOVE canned food!
[notify]

Twinkle

I Must Have- Attention & My- Way

Purred: Wed Nov 6, '13 11:24am PST 
I like Best Feline Friend, Fussie Cat & Earthborn wet food.
[notify]