GO!

This has to do with food!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:34am PST 
50/50 wet and dry isn't really ideal. Please check out catinfo.org if you haven't already.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 9:11am PST 
100% canned food is ideal and best way to go

But if you have to feed some dry, do no more than 50% dry. Less dry and more canned would be even better. And make sure the dry food is a grain-free one. Blue Buffale Wilderness and Freedom are the grain-free lines if you prefer to stick with the BB brand.

You can feed adult food to a 4 month old kitten smile

Edited by author Wed Jul 17, '13 9:12am PST

[notify]

Spider- (formerly- known as- Gunt

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 2:37pm PST 
A lot of websites and stuff have mentioned that because he is still a growing kitten I should leave dry out for him to eat in between his wet meals. Which I think makes absolute perfect sense. That's why I'm doing the 50/50.

When he gets to be an adult kitty I'll probably switch him over to all wet, but for now this is what I have found is best for us. The dry food is a high quality grain free dry food though. smile

Thanks so much everyone!

Oh, and it's great to know I can get any formula, not just kitten! So much variety for us to choose from now! Yay! smile
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Thu Jul 18, '13 2:31pm PST 
My 4 get all wet food, and at night around 9pm (Smitty can tell time!) they each get a tiny & I mean tiny bit of dry for their snack. They are happy, healthy & have such soft shiny fur. I noticed a huge difference when I finally got Maizy over to 95% wet. She has much more energy & bounce. She won't let go of that last little bit at night, so of course everyone has to crunch.
[notify]

Spider- (formerly- known as- Gunt

Purred: Sun Jul 21, '13 11:31am PST 
I wanted to thank everyone who offered answers and advice. I just gave him his first can of wet food, and he gobbled it up with no problems. It was the Blue Wilderness Kitten. I'm excited for him to try other flavors! Thanks again everyone! smile
[notify]

Purred: Thu Jul 25, '13 2:16am PST 
Bubbles wrote on: Tue Jul 16, '13 5hi56pm PST

[QUOTE]My brother's cat had severe food allergies and seemed dehydrated 24/7 until we switched her to 4Health canned food. Now she's 95% better and her hair is growing back!
I recommend:
Evangers [/QUOTE]

I had never heard of 4Health before you mentioned it. I can't seem to find their company website. My cat has allergies to some foods and I'm pretty sure chicken is one of them. She would lick her hair on her hind legs and scratch her face until there were bald spots! Since I started feeding her Nature's Variety Instinct Canned Rabbit several years ago, the bald spots have disappeared, but there's still the occasional hot spot.

I'm just wondering why you recommend Evanger's, considering the problems they've had with FDA warnings, and some adverse recommendations on popular pet blogs.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jul 25, '13 6:05am PST 
4Health looks like a brand sold only at Tractor Supply stores thinking http://www.tractorsupply.com/content_landing-page_4health.html

Nature's Variety has a Limited Ingredients line in both canned and dry: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/limited-ingredient-food-dogs-and-cats It might be helpful for cats with allergies and such.
[notify]

All you need is- love

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 1:00am PST 
The only food I will touch is the food I came home with.....Purina pro plan...salmon flavor! I'm SUCH a diva! Any suggestions for mommy may improve her mood. She has been trying and TRYING to get me to eat moist of all kinds. I won't even eat TUNA! I'm sooooo fab-ulously difficult laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Jul 31, '13 1:03am PST

[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2