GO!

I Opened A Can of Worms-HELP!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Amira

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 1:38pm PST 
Okay, I have 2 cats, Jarod is fat & healthy, Amira has cancer & is down to 4 pounds. I began feeding them canned wet food to try & get Amira to gain weight. IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE to keep this up.

I've been buying Fancy Feast & it's not enough..to satisfy both of them, I would need to get a minimum of 4 cans a day! (2 for each). NOW I can't get them to touch dry food!

I bought Purina One Smart Blend....it looked like a better quality dry food with more protein & I can get it at the regular store with my groceries. I don't drive & it's difficult to get to a specialty store --BUT-- if I were to get a good quality food at a specialty store, 1) would they be satisfied with less than the Fancy Feast..since it theoretically would be better quality? 2) What should I do about them having opposite needs????

Now, I DID look around & saw this to be used as a supplement for Jarod that would help him lose weight: Fruitables Pumpkin Formula Weight Loss which can be found here: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Fruitables-Pumpkin-Formula-We ight-Loss/420017.aspx

I wondered if feeding him the 5 teaspoons of this along with a dry food would satisfy him and he wouldn't mind Amira getting more wet food than he gets.

I've just got a dilemma..should I keep trying to feed Amira wet food? (I have no idea how long she has..she's still active & eating.)

What's the best thing for me to do? And please don't recommend a Raw Food diet..I barely cook for myself..plus that's even more expensive. Thanks for any advice. cat on moon
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:31am PST 
Don't put them on dry food - in my opinion you're just asking for more health issues. Fancy Feast is not really a cost effective food. I would try the Friskies pate flavors - they're similar to FF at half the price. Is it the highest quality food out there? No, but it is low carb, gluten-free and will help with weight loss while keeping them hydrated.
[notify]

Cali

The Most- Beautiful Girl- In The World

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 10:27am PST 
I completely agree with BK. It took a long time to get my kibble addict to eat canned food, it is so much better for her.
Indeed, get the Friskies pate, it is quite a bit cheaper than Fancy Feast, you get almost twice the amount and it's easy to find in just about any store. And it really isn't ALL that bad for a canned food if you read the ingredients.

IMHO even the lousiest wet food is preferable to an all dry diet.

Also seeing that your dear Amira is ill I would certainly let her eat whatever makes her happy. Let her enjoy what time she has. She is a beautiful calico girl.

cat on moon

Edited by author Wed Jul 10, '13 10:30am PST

[notify]

Amira

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 1:35pm PST 
Thank you so much for your responses. When I first thought about getting some canned food to try to help Amira to gain weight, my brain just automatically thought of Fancy Feast & that it would easily be gotten with my groceries..Friskies Pate IS so much cheaper & let's hope healthier than FF. Thanks! cat on moon
[notify]

Phaedra

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:22pm PST 
My cats love Friskies and it comes in a lot of flavors. It can be found as cheap at .46 at WalMart and when on sale, .44 a can. It not much different than Fancy Feast. smile

Edited by author Tue Jul 16, '13 12:23pm PST

[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Fri Jul 26, '13 1:01pm PST 
Mine eat some Friskies too. Nine Lives can be even a little cheaper. Target has a 12 pack of pate flavors for $4.94 which is about 42 cents per can. Perhaps you can find some cheaper prices online - there are places that deliver monthly. But truly wet is better if you can stick with it - I have had issues with mine, and mostly have resolved with them eating mostly wet.
[notify]