GO!

Whiskas Dry Kitten Food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Luna

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 12:41pm PST 
so, i am just wondering now if the dry kitten food, 'Whiskas' is something good to feed your kittens? I keep hearing now how most dry foods are very bad for cats and that canned food is the way to go. I have always thought canned food was more so like a treat for them, more than a meal? :S I am so confused as what to feed my kittens now! I want them to be healthy. Since I have brought them home and been feeding them this dry food, they have been very gassy and runny poops. I'm not sure if it's due to the food they are eating, or the diet change. (they were barn kittens, eating chimpmunks, mice, and God knows what else.) I have them of a food schedule right now. They are very much so active little girls, and seem to not see any problem with them besides their very gassy and the runny poops!
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 4:01pm PST 
Whiskas. Oh no! It is just not a good choice because of all the corn. How about trying just the some yummy pate style canned for while and see if the poop gets firm and they are less gassy too.

Are you in a rural area? You might find Diamond Natural Active cat or Taste of the Wild at the feed store. No corn in either if you need a to get a kibble. Yes, if you can afford to give them only canned Friskies it would be better than any kibble.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 5:08pm PST 
Whiskas and other brands of dry food that are found at the supermarket and big box stores are not good to feed shock These brands are cheap to buy but they also have cheap quality ingredients: corns, other grains, by products, fillers, etc confused They are the equivalent of Human junk foods: candy, cake, ice cream, big greasy hamburgers with extra large fries, etc shrug

These are the ingredients in the Whiskas kitten: POULTRY BY-PRODUCT MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, SOYBEAN MEAL, BREWERS RICE, GROUND YELLOW CORN, GROUND WHEAT, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA AND CITRIC ACID), NATURAL CHICKEN AND TURKEY FLAVOR,.... Yuck! No wonder the kittens are gassy and have runny poops.

Read http://www.catinfo.org to learn what proper nutrition for cats is smile

Most canned foods are complete diets and can be fed as the main source of food way to go Fancy Feast (the cans, not those Appetizer tray things) and Friskies are good inexpensive choices that are found in many types of stores.

Do you have any chain pet stores like Petco or Petsmart? You can find much beter quality food there, both dry and canned smile Look for a brand that is grain-free. Cats can't process grains.

To start the kittens on a healthy life, the way to go is 100% canned food way to go Or, since the kittens used to live outside and ate rodents and stuff, you can feed a raw food diet smile You can buy commerical raw pet food or make your own raw food using a recipie (important so that your kittens get the right amount of nutrients for a healthy body) or doing the frankenprey model.

Edited by author Fri Jun 28, '13 5:10pm PST

[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 10:33am PST 
The big chain pet store by Luna is Paulmac's. I'm so jealous! They carry Pronature Holistic. The Duck a l'Orange is so good according to my girls. Sadly, PLB International stopped shipping here to the US except for Vermont. (It was not profitable with the old distributor.) The PH kitten kibble is chicken and sweet potato.
[notify]

Luna

Purred: Wed Jul 17, '13 10:41am PST 
I have switched their food to LifeTime dry cat food! At first they weren't sure of it, but now they gobble it right up! I'm glad they like it considering i ended up buying a huge bag of it! Their poop has now become normal with switching foods, and they have become less gassy! they seem happier with this dry food now as well, which makes me happy! Life Time is a corn and wheat free dry cat food. i had went to a local pet store and asked for something more natural for my kitties, and had explained my issues with whiskas with my kitties. the lady had suggested 3 kinds of dry cat food to me which was natural. i guess i picked the right kind for my kitties! (:
[notify]

Clio

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 6:58pm PST 
For dry food, my owner sticks with a few grain-free varieties (I think some of these are Canadian): Acana, Orijen, Go, Now and Blue Buffalo (indoor). He'll mix two of them where usually the Blue Buffalo is used consistently but the mix is one of the other brands - he thinks this provides me with some variety. Since I'm used to him switching the brands, I eat all of them.
[notify]