GO!

What food is best?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 4:59pm PST 
A can of tuna in water (NOT oil) is ok as a treat smile Bumblee Bee brand and Chicken of the Sea brand each have a couple different tuna in water products. I don't kmow about those cracker thingsthinking If the tuna is in water and has no flavorings/seasonings, it should be ok.

Merrick Before Grain makes a tuna cat food that you can try: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/consumer/products/product.jsp?id=96&page=2&view=list&sort=category_3&order=asc&name=Tuna_&categories=Cat-Before-Grain-Wet&age=All_Life_Stages
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:56pm PST 
I make sure when I give him tuna, it is in a bit of water, and no flavor/seasonings are added, I am positive that I NEVER EVER put any of those things ineek Merrick before Grain is what KIKI and Winter eat, since Chicken soup doesn't agree with Winter's stomach. (If your wondering, KIKI and Winter are my friends, and I am friends with their mum) I checked out the website, the ingredients are good, I definitely will try that!!!
big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
Thanks everycat that helped me with this situation, a special thanks to Merlin and Amber, they helped me the most. Other thanks to, Cali and Bubbles, you guys helped a lot too. I am literally jealous of you all, you know so much!!! hailhailhail MOL!!
[notify]

Pussy

pussy

Purred: Thu Jul 18, '13 9:06pm PST 
We're back pussy and I, we also need a some help on what food is best for us. Well our wonderful caring mom was having us try that evo "eww" made me threw up and my brother wouldn't even eat it. So we're all back to square one. On finding the best food us. So it would be very wonderful if some one can type out me a list of a few good healthy affordable and quality canned food and dry foods. Thank you!
[notify]

Pussy

pussy

Purred: Thu Jul 18, '13 9:06pm PST 
We're back pussy and I, we also need a some help on what food is best for us. Well our wonderful caring mom was having us try that evo "eww" made me threw up and my brother wouldn't even eat it. So we're all back to square one. On finding the best food us. So it would be very wonderful if some one can type out me a list of a few good healthy affordable and quality canned food and dry foods. Thank you!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jul 19, '13 4:15am PST 
There's a list of good grain-free brands here: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/774137 way to go

Fancy Feast and Friskies have a few varieties each that are grain-free. It's not on the label, though shrug You have to read the teeny tiny ingredient list to check. You can check this chart to see what foods are grain-free and such. It's a few years out of date.

The "best" food is the one that you like to eat and that your Human can afford and can find in the stores way to go

Edited by author Fri Jul 19, '13 4:16am PST

[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Fri Jul 19, '13 5:48am PST 
Hi hi,
I'm of the "raw is best" school of thought, but outside of this, high quality canned. The only dry food I'd recommend is Wellness CORE and that's only if you happen to have a cat who is a die-hard kibble addict who will not eat anything else...

Grain-free and named meat sources is more important to me than whether or not it contains "by-products". Cats eat "by-products" all the time; these things considered the "offals" like feet, tails, fur, heads, etc.
It's fine but meaty-meat should comprise the majority of the diet.
[notify]

Cali

The Most- Beautiful Girl- In The World

Purred: Fri Jul 19, '13 4:35pm PST 
Merlin has an excellent post. The "best" food in the world means little if your kitty won't eat it. My girl loves the Wellness with gravy, I know the gravy isn't the absolute best but it's what she wants and it makes her happy.

My senior adopted boy Happy cat would only eat Fancy Feast, it was what he had eaten all of his life apparently and he loves the varieties in sauce - WHEN I could get him to eat. A 3 oz can a day was an accomplishment (he came to us as a hospice cat, we just didnt know at the time) I had tried all the premium brands when we first got him but at 17 years old he was set in his ways.

I'm glad I let him eat what he liked with the little time he had left.
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Sat Jul 20, '13 12:26pm PST 
Listen to them, they know whats best for sure! big grin
[notify]

Dexter

Are you going to- eat all that?

Purred: Sat Jul 20, '13 12:45pm PST 
We are midway to transitioning to full raw - now feeding 50/50 canned/raw.

I want to put in a good word for Weruva/Cats in the Kitchen canned food. One of the reasons I like this brand is that their website (www.weruva.com) has all kinds of nutritional data regarding their foods - more than I have ever seen on a company website. Many companies don't like giving out info beyond the Guaranteed Analysis. Further, this is the brand that my kibble addict took to - after trying many others.

The only issue I have with this brand is that it is high in water. If you, like me, have a "gravy licker" that really likes gravy laden foods - its a plus. My cat simply would not touch another brand with lower water. You are just paying a bit more to ship that water around. But when I look at the vet bills I have paid as a result of illness brought about by that CRAP dry food that the vet recommended (you know what brand I mean) ..its money well spent.

Edited by author Sat Jul 20, '13 12:47pm PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jul 21, '13 1:54pm PST 
This is a good point Dexter. Weruva is a good food, especially for gravy kitties and cats that need extra water in their diet. The only issue I've ever had with it is that it's not as filling as some other canned foods because of all the water but as you point out, if you have to feed a little more that's a small price to pay.
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3