GO!

What food is best?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 10:07am PST 
Merlin- Thanks for the info, i'll start maybe making my own food.
The reason I only give him 1/3 wet food every evening, is because if I give him anymore, then he will puke....EWW!! I will have to check out "frankenprey", it sounds interesting. I have checked out the website, and it has purrfect info for me. I add a bit of water to his dry food in the morning, to make it moist. Then when he gets his wet food, I usually put it on top of his dry, if not in a separate bowl smile

Amber- Again, thanks for the info, I will definitely check out your post and stuff. Anyway, would it be o.k for me to put like beef and chicken, or should I just use one for now? I have a decent amount on money, but I am not to sure about Wellness cat food.....I sign up for things online about cats and I get things in my e-mail saying recalls on cat food, dog food etc. And on the recall chart, almost every time, Wellness is there....So I am not to sure what to do, other than the other foods y'all suggested to me. Anyways, I will be sure to come to all of you guys if I have any more questions for sure smile
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 9:07pm PST 
I try not to feed multiple proteins in the same meal, but when I make a batch of cat food (6lbs of meat) I now mix up the supplements in a large measuring cup and mix 1/3 of the supplement mix with two lbs of one kind of meat, portion it, rinse the bowl, put another 1/3 in with a different kind of meat, mix and portion, and do the same for the last bit, that way Amber isn't eating the same thing every day. For example, this month it is chicken, turkey, and goat. Next month I will be splitting the supplement mix between beef, rabbit, and duck.

As far as commercial cat food, there are only two brands I allow in the house for emergency situations: Tiki Cat (Koolina Luau and Puka Puka Luau only because all the others are fish based) and Hound & Gatos (Chicken, beef, lamb, rabbit). I personally don't feed wellness because the quality seems to be hit or miss, and I don't like giving her food that contains carrageenan, or really anything that has more than just meat, water, and vitamins/minerals in it, even occasionally.

Neither brand has any byproducts, fillers/grains or nasty chemicals in it, and both use USDA inspected meat. I believe Tiki to be superior because it is produced in a facility actually along side human foods and is held to the same standards (and it looks and smells like shredded chicken in a can that one buys for chicken salad - no mystery meat). Tiki is, however, VERY expensive. If you can swing it on a daily basis, though, you will be happy to know that Tiki is adding more non-fish varieties in the fall.

Edited by author Fri Jun 28, '13 9:32pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 5:41am PST 
Mikko, never add water to dry food shock It encourages harmful baceria to grow shock I wouldn't mix canned food into dry food either unless the cat will eat it up right away and you don't let the empty bowl sit out for the cat to lick at later and ingest bacteria.

Frankenprey is 80% raw meat, 10% bone, and 10% raw organs. This closely mimicks what a wild cat eats. Buying large quantities of raw meat and bones and organs may be difficult for people who live in rural areas shrug Hare-Today.com is one place where some people buy their raw meats and bones and organs but shipping can be costly.

Before you start a raw food diet, read these web sites for more info:
http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood
http://www.catnutrition.org/
http://feline-nutrition.org/index.php

The first two web sites above have good recipies you can use way to go

Another way to do raw food is adding a pre-mix to raw meats. TC Feline, Better In The Raw, and Alnutrin are some pre-mixes you can use. These are only sold online.

Better In the Raw also has a pre-mix to use with cooked meats http://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/cat_food_u-stew The web site has more info on how this is done.

Of course there are commerical raw pet foods you can buy at the pet store smile Compared to homemade raw or frankenprey, commerical raw costs more per serving shrug But some people find it the easiest way for them to give their pet a raw food diet. Nature's Variety Instinct frozen raw is what Human feeds. There are many other brands but make sure to read the label to make sure that the food is 100% complete for cats. Some are not shrug

Human keeps cans of Nature's Variety Instinct, Weruva, and pouches of Weruva's Cats In The Kitchen on hand just in case. And she has a bag of Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw food.

IMO, there is no best commerical cat food out there shrug Every food has some ingredient that cats don't need, like grains or fruits/veggies. The best food for your cat is the one that she will eat (most important), that you can afford, and that you can find in the local stores smile This can be inexpensive Fancy Feast and Friskies or expensive $2 cans of Ziwi Peak. Expensive brands are not any better than an inexpensive brand, IMO. Head down to the local pet stores, both the chains and the independents, to see what brands of food are offered. Independent pet stores sometimes have pet food company reps come to answer questions about their products and give out free samples and coupons.

Edited by author Sat Jun 29, '13 5:42am PST

[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 1:44pm PST 
Amber- Ok, good to know. I think I will try beef first, then move on to chicken, liver etc for making my own food. Do you know the exact price for Tiki, if not I will just look it up on the internet, no biggie. Does Tiki cat come in treats? Cause right now I feed him Greenies treats everyday at treat time, and I usually give him 2 or 3. It has a 4.6 rating, so its a good treat brand for now. If I run out of Greenies, I usually use beef treats.....I ran out of "just in case" treats......So I don't know what they are called at the moment. Now my "just in case treats" are Blue Buffalo Kitty Yums, Tasty chicken. Chicken is the first ingredient. They are soft moist treats, and thats what I like for my cat. The ingredients to Blue Buffalo are: Deboned Chicken, Whole ground brown rice, Oatmeal, Maple Syrup, Vegetable Glycerin, Whole ground potato, Gelatin, Natural Flavor, Salt, Fish oil, Brewers Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Sorbic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Taurine, Citric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitaman E), Rosemary. I know Blue Buffalo is a good brand, but not if its the BEST...You know?

Merlin- I make sure if he doesn't eat it all up, I put it in the garbage. And, I wash the bowl anyways, after wet meals. And I will definitely stop adding water to his dry in the mornings.....I didn't know it was bad. way to go
Mikko is my king, and what he wants, I give him. He loves Blue Buffalo wet food, which is pretty good, but for dry, Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul is good.....But I just don't feel its right, and I don't know why. Also, I am torn. Ok, say chicken soup is in the middle. Wellness (Dry and wet)is on the left side.And then on the right side, there is Tiki cat(Dry and wet). And......Chicken soup shares a spot with Blue buffalo wet.......And I don't know......Blue buffalo wet, and chicken dry, OR, Wellness steady diet dry and wet, OR OR, Tiki cat steady diet wet and dry. Anyway, your post is really really long, so thats all I can say MOL!!!!!

(PS, if I go with Wellness steady diet, or Tiki steady diet, or Chicken and Blue, I should keep it that way, correct?) snoopy

Edited by author Sat Jun 29, '13 1:45pm PST

[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 4:48pm PST 
Tiki Cat is only canned food. And no, there are no Tiki Cat treats. Here is the web site: http://www.petropics.com/

100% meat treats are good way to go These are typically freeze dried. Some good brands to try are Halo Liv A Littles, Real Food Toppers, Wildside Salmon, and Salmon Paws smile Wellness makes good treats, too.

The occasional "junky" treat like Greenies or Blue Buffalo is ok, IMO way to go It's nice to have something "junky" once in awhile as long as the main diet is good smile

I suggest sticking with one brand of dry food (if you have to feed that) and maybe rotate between one or two brands of canned food. Since Tiki Cat is mostly all seafood, maybe feed mainly Wellness and add in some Tiki Cat once in awhile.
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 12:14am PST 
Tiki Cat is about 3.00 per 6oz can for the chicken flavors on petfooddirect.com. The fish flavors are cheaper but really shouldn't be fed.

Hound & Gatos is between $1.30(chicken) and 1.72(rabbit) per 5.5oz can at petfooddirect.com.

These prices don't include shipping, but I always order food when they have one of their free shipping promotions going on so I never pay for shipping. Pet360.com also has good prices.

They don't make treats at the moment.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 5:34am PST 
OnlyNaturalPet.com has the 2.8 oz cans of Tiki Cat for $0.89 each. You can also buy a case of 12 cans.

Are you in the US or Canada? thinking

IMO, a healthier alternative to dry food is freeze dried raw food smile These are crunchy but not as a hard as dry food. They can be fed dry but really should be rehydrated in water before serving. http://www.stellaandchewys.com/cat-products.php">Stella and Chewy's is one good brand way to go It's about $20 for a 12 oz bag of nuggets. Other brands out there are ZiwiPeak, Primal Pet, Feline Natural, and Vital Essentials but these particular brans are very exensive for a little bag shrug

Nature's Variety Instinct freeze dried raw is not a complete diet so don't feed that. Other brands are not comlete diets so you must read the label before buying.
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 10:24am PST 
Merlin- Ok, thanks. Everyday I feed him some treats, only 2 or 3 though. I usually feed him the "just in case treats", cause I looked up Greenies and its more of a 'once and a while' treat. Anyways, Blue Buffalo is a pretty good treat, I always read the ingredients before I buy treats, to make sure its ok. Thats to bad that Tiki cat is only canned and there is no treats. I might switch over to Tiki cat, because its food is 4.7 rating. And, I might~~~~might try Wellness cat food and treats sometime.........Its just that in my e-mail, I get things about cat food recalls........And most of the time Wellness is on the chart. But, sometime I may try it........I am curious if Mikko will like it thinking Anyway, 100% meat treats......I don't think I have ever tried those, I will for sure try though! Halo Liv sounds interesting, I will have to look that up big grin I will try to stick to Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, because Mikko likes it, and its a 4.5 rating, and thats good to me.

Amber- Good, because Mikko doesn't really enjoy fish anyways, except for Tuna. I checked out the Tiki cat website, and I clicked Chicken, because Mikko enjoys Chicken flavor, and the prices are pretty good, so I think i'll try Tiki cat for his wet food. smile

Merlin again- I am in Canada.
I checked out StellaandChewys website, and at the bottom of the page I clicked Chick, Chick, Chicken, and I think I might try that. Is there wet food from StellaandChewys? If there is, would it be ok to make that a steady diet? If its not then I will stick to a bit of blue buffalo wet, a bit of tiki wet, a tiny bit of wellness wet and chicken soup dry. And, a bit of Greenies treats, a bit of Wellness treats. Does StellaandChewys make treats? If they do, was it on the website.........If it was I missed it.

AND, would it be ok to put his food in the addition instead of in the kitchen? I have an addition on my house and he has access to it, but I keep the doors shut.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 5:21pm PST 
Sella and Chewy's doesn't have canned food. What they do have are the 3oz pouches of freeze dried food that you add water to so that it turns into kind of like canned food.

It is fine to have Stella and Chewy's as the main food way to go The food is 100% complete way to go

Stella and Chewy's does make freeze dried treats. They are meant for dogs but they are ok for cats to eat smile It is called Carnivore Kisses. The product page on Stella and Chewy's web site doesn't seem to be working but you can see the info here: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Stella-Chewys-Carnivore-Kisses/300047.aspx
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 11:27am PST 
Purrfect! Made for dog? Hmm.......Well, I guess I should listen to a food expert.......(YOU!!) so I will feed my kitty some Carnivore Kisses Chicken. 100% is how I roll, so maybe I should try Stella and Chewy's. I think Mikko would enjoy all the Chicken, and his once a week Tuna...........Is it ok that I give him some Tuna once every week? You know those little packs of crackers with Tuna with it? I buy those sometimes and I give him a scoop or to of just the regular Tuna, not any other flavor.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3