GO!

New kitten...not sure what to feed

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Kiva

Purred: Tue Jun 18, '13 7:26pm PST 
Hello big grin Yesterday I got a new 3 month old kitten and realized I know nothing about kitty nutrition naughty .....now dogs, that's another story. I work at a vet clinic so I just grabbed a little bit of royal Canin kitten food until I figure out what to feed her red face

My dogs were on Acana and Orijen....but are now on TOTW for a few months. Anyone of any suggestions? Thank you big grin
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Jun 19, '13 5:22am PST 
My recommendation is to do some research. In my opinion you should feed only canned (or raw) for optimum health. Check out catinfo.org for some really valuable information.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jun 19, '13 9:13am PST 
Canned and/or raw food way to go Catinfo.org goes into detail about proper nutrition for cats and why dry foods are so bad. Dry food as an occasional treat is ok, it's just feeding nothing but dry food for years and years that leads so many easily avoidable health problems.

The Royal Canin food is ok for now.

Ideally a grain-free brand of canned food should be fed. Cats can't process grains. There are good brands you can buy at the pet store or supermarket: Fancy Feast, Friskies, Wellness, Merrick, etc. Some high end brands are found only at non chain independent pet stores. There are some good brands listed here http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/774137
[notify]

Kiva

Purred: Wed Jun 19, '13 5:10pm PST 
Thanks guys! I've heard kibble could be bad for cats, but wasn't sure...Is Ziwi peak any good for cats? I picked up a sample today, or would it be in the same category as kibble? Also, is kibble bad for dogs too? Or just cats? So many questions! Sorry! red face
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jun 19, '13 5:44pm PST 
Ziwi Peak is good but awfully expensive, both the dry (which is really air dried raw food so not the same as regular dry kibble) and canned. http://www.ziwipeak.com/ A 14 oz bag (the only size) is around $15 shock A can costs around $3 shock

I guess dogs are ok with dry food thinking They can process grains and other stuff better than cats can. I think dogs drink plenty of water on their own so dehydration from eating dry food isn't as much of a concern.
[notify]

Kiva

Purred: Thu Jun 20, '13 8:16pm PST 
Thanks for all the info Merlin! It was a lot of help. I've decided to return her dry food, and continue feeding her Wellness kitten, canned for a while. Then I'll switch to Weruva
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jun 21, '13 9:19am PST 
Weruva is good way to go They have the regular cans, the Cats In The Kitchen pouches, and the Cats In The Kitchen cans. http://www.weruva.com

The same company also makes Soulistic (sold only at Petco) and Best Feline Friend.

IMO, the cans and pouches tends to be more water (gravy/sauce) than actual food shrug Why pay all that money for water? shrug You can add water at home.

The BFF brand is mostly all seafood so you don't want to feed that exclusively. Seafood tends to be low in protein, high in phosphorus, and many cats get addicted to eating it shrug

Wellness is a good brand so you don't need to change smile You can rotate in Weruva (or other brand) once in awhile to give your kitten somld only at Petco) and Best Feline Friend.

IMO, the cans and pouches tends to be more water (gravy/sauce) than actual food shrug Why pay all that money for water? shrug You can add water at home.

The BFF brand is mostly all seafood so you don't want to feed that exclusively. Seafood tends to be low in protein, high in phosphorus, and many cats get addicted to eating it shrug

Wellness is a good brand so you don't need to change smile You can rotate in Weruva (or other brand) once in awhile to give your kitten some vanly at Petco) and Best Feline Friend.

Wellness is a good brand so you don't need to change smile You can rotate in Weruva (or other brand) once in awhile to give your kitten some varietat Petco) and Best Feline Friend.

Wellness is a good brand so you don't need to change smile You can rotate in Weruva (or other brand) once in awhile to give your kitten some variety inetco) and Best Feline Friend.

Wellness is a good brand so you don't need to change smile You can rotate in Weruva (or other brand) once in awhile to give your kitten some variety in the) and Best Feline Friend.

Wellness is a good brand so you don't need to change smile You can rotate in Weruva (or other brand) once in awhile to give your kitten some variety in the died Best Feline Friend.

Wellness is a good brand so you don't need to change smile You can rotate in Weruva (or other brand) once in awhile to give your kitten some variety in the diet.
[notify]

Mikko

Psycho kitty

Purred: Fri Jun 21, '13 7:01pm PST 
Well, I know for treats it should be Greenies, their a good brand. I don't know what store they sell in though...I forget a lot of things. shrug
Anyways, Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul is good, I think it sells in local pet stores, Pet smart and other places. I know Mikko absolutely LOVES that food and Greenies, and I made sure Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul was five or four star rating before I bought it for my Mikko. So good luck to ya, hope your kitty loves the food and treats!! smile
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jun 22, '13 5:07am PST 
Catster fleas messed with my post above shocknaughtynaughty It looked fine right after I posted it shrug

Greenie treats are ok shrug The ingredients aren't great (would you want to eat inedible/indigestible wood pulp? That's what cellulose fiber is). Many big name brands of treats contain icky ingredients and fillers. But a few of these treats once in awhile won't hurt you at all. Many chain pet stores (petco, Petsmart, etc), even supermarkets and Wal Mart/Target, sell Greenies and other brands like Whicker Lickens and Friskies. Oh, and so-called dental treats do not do anything for the teeth really shrug Cats just crunch once and swallow the pieces whole. Dental treats (and dry food) are like telling a Human to eat a hard crunchy pretzel twice a day to keep the teeth clean shrug Only toothbrushing will remove food particles and bacteria from teeth, for Humans and cats and dogs.

Personally I prefer to feed 100% meat or fish treats smile These are typically freeze dried meats or fish, such as Weruva's brand of treats and Real Food Topprs and Halo Liv A Littles. Wellness makes treats, too, called Pure Delights. They contain a few other ingredients but they are still good treats, better than Greenies IMO.

Plain cooked (ie, in water or steamed or baked with no seasonings or spices or even salt) and even raw chicken or turkey is also good for treats smile Human sometimes gently poaches chicken in water and gives the meat and some of the water ("broth") to Leroy and Emma as treats. Extra chicken and broth go in the freezer for later treats. Leroy loves raw chicken for treats, too.

Chicken Soup is a ok food, I guess thinking It does contain grains which a cat really does not need in the diet shrug

Ultimately the brand and type of food to feed is your decision smile Many people say canned or raw food only, there are still people who say dry food is great, others do a mix of canned and dry (oftentimes more dry than canned). Read Catinfo.org to understand what proper nutrition is and get the opinions of others. Check the local pet stores, both chains and non chainst, to see what brands are offered and how much they cost per can and per case. Try a few different brands to see what your cat likes and then just go from there smile

Freeze dried raw food is sort of a compromise between raw and dry food. It's raw food in kibble-like shapes or medallions. It's a lot healthier than any dry food, IMO. It can be fed dry but really should be rehydrated in water to prevent a dehydrated cat. Maybe you can feed it rehydrated a put a few dry pieces on top for crunch. Stella and Chewy's is one good brand that is 100% complete way to go Many other brands are ony supplement only.

I hope this helps wave

Edited by author Sat Jun 22, '13 5:19am PST

[notify]