GO!

Research: what food do you feed and why?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Thu May 9, '13 10:03pm PST 
Please help me with some research by telling me what store bought food you feed and why you feed it (cost, vet recommended, ect)

the purpose of this thread is to get an idea of what foods people are feeding. please do not debate which one is better or criticize anyone's choices.

i also am interested in any brand of food you do not like and why.

again, please dont say anything negative about anyone else. This information is for a personal project of mine and not for any company. thanks guys.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri May 10, '13 4:32am PST 
I feed 3x/day. First meal is grain free canned and the other 2 are usually prey model raw.

Canned foods that I am willing to buy to feed my beasts are NV Instinct, EVO, Dave's Naturally Healthy Grain Free Canned Chicken Formula and Turkey Formula, Dave's 95% Premium Meat, Ziwi Peak, Weruva Nine Liver, and By Nature 95% Varieties.

Ingredients that I avoid are: grain, fish (usually), menadione sodium bisulfate, meat by-products, brewer's dried yeast, artificial color/flavor, animal digest, preservatives and I'm sure that there are others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Edited by author Fri May 10, '13 4:35am PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri May 10, '13 9:12am PST 
Human feeds Nature's Variety Instinct frozen raw food and will never feed any dry food again. She learned the hard (and expensive) way about diet with me: I ate nothing but a big name "good" brand of dry food for 8 years and then ended up with diabetesshrug Human quickly found out about proper diet from from Catinfo.org which she never heard about until she found FelineDiabetes.com

I had to eat low carb canned food to keep my diabetes in control with insulin. I didn't like raw food shrug

After I went to the Bridge, Human knew that she would never ever feed dry food again and would try to feed exclusively raw food. When Human got Leroy, he was already eating NV raw food. Then Human got Emma and slowly got her to eat raw food as well. Human does feed Emma a little canned food before bed, only grain-free brands like Nature's Variety Instinct and Weruva. Leroy strangely doesn't care much for canned food shrug Human is willing to pay more for good quality species appropriate food to avoid many common health issues that are associated with poor diet.

Any brand that contains grains, excessive amounts of fruits and veggies, and poor quality forms of meat (ie meal or by product) should be avoided.
[notify]

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Fri May 10, '13 12:16pm PST 
I feed Blue Basics Duck and Potato dry--free feed. My cats get 2 cans of canned food nearly every day (equals about 1/2 can per cat), and lots of treats, especially now that we've started clicker training. Canned chicken and ham are particular favorites of theirs for such endeavors.

Fiyero also gets (because he's special, also spoiled) a jar of ham or beef baby food a couple of times a week. He feels as though it's his birthright and because he's my NOT problem child, I indulge him.

I can't feed anything with chicken or grain because of various gastrointestinal maladies. I would love to feed all canned food, but I can't afford it right now (especially with 4 cats) and frankly, every cat my family has ever owned has lived well past 15 eating dry food, so I'm still not quite on board with the raw diet craze...but that's just me.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Fri May 10, '13 12:52pm PST 
thanks for the honest answers!

i have fed everything to my cats from cat chow to evo, to canned friskies and homemade in my journey to find what was right for them. please do keep posting.
[notify]

Romeo

Purred: Mon May 13, '13 1:29pm PST 
I feed my cats wet food twice a day and leave out dry food for snacking between meals or else they think they're starving.

Wet food choices: Dave's, Evangers, Wellness, CORE, Merrick Before Grain and 96%, Nature's Variety Instinct, Soulistic, and ocasionally Natural Balance Delectable Delights. My cats love them all.

Dry food choices: Merrick's BG, Wellness CORE, Taste of the Wild, Acana, Fromm. My cats love Merrick's the best. They're not big fans of Wellness CORE.

I also feed them raw chicken with supplements on occasion.

Foods I won't feed and why:

Fancy Feast Classics: They love it but it takes way too much of it to fill them up so it's not really a good bargain for us.

Hounds and Gatos wet food: My cat and my puppy both threw up every bit they ate. My other cat ate it with no problems except terrible gas.

Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost kibbles: They love it and I love how long a bag lasts them but their poo smells horrible after they eat it!

Blue Wilderness wet and dry: All 4 cats refused the dry food. Only 1 cat would eat the canned wet and she was violently ill afterwards. frown

Edited by author Mon May 13, '13 1:30pm PST

[notify]

Sprinkles

NO I will NOT- shut up

Purred: Tue May 14, '13 2:52pm PST 
Friskies pate canned food. It's in high protein and moisture, only about 4-5% carb(depends on the flavor) and all the protein is animal based. way to go

I would never touch their dry though, that stuff is a whole nother animal.

And I supplement with raw meat scraps as well.
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 11:27pm PST 
I keep some canned food on hand for emergencies. I feed Hound & Gatos (non-fish varieties) and Tiki Cat (non-fish varieties).

I do not like ANY other current brands because of the companies who own other foods, recall history, non-species appropriate or low-quality ingredients (anything that is not human-grade meat), and/or dangerous chemicals like BHT, BHA, ethoxyquin, menadione, etc.
[notify]

Zelda

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 11:30am PST 
When she was a kitten, I would feed Zelda 1 3oz can of Wellness split into a morning and night feeding, with about a 1/3 cup of Wellness dry for grazing. She naturally outgrew the dry food for whatever reason and now only eats it when I'm going away overnight, just in case she gets hungry.

At age 2, she now eats a 3oz can of Wellness in the morning and at night. Over the past few weeks, she's started getting picky, so I've mixed in a scoop(about 1oz) from a 3oz can of Fancy Feast. She loves that!

Edited by author Mon Jul 1, '13 11:31am PST

[notify]

Bastian

Oh, you don't- play? Too bad!

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 3:48pm PST 
Currently I feed Bubbles & Bastian 3x daily.

They get canned food w/added water for their morning breakfast.

Around lunchtime, 3:00 pmish, they get Nature's Variety medallions. Bubbles will either eat it or reject it. If she snubs the medallions, she gets a spoonful of canned mixed in it. Then she'll eat it.

Dinnertime, 8:00, they get canned. They also get chicken hearts and gizzards as a dietary treat every now and again.

Canned foods I feed:
Merrick's
Felidae
Wellness
Blue Buffalo
Halo
Natural Balance
Nitto

I rotate my canned foods. smile
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2