GO!

Food On A Budget

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sun May 5, '13 8:04pm PST 
Righty, I'm wondering if you either work for a vet or for a big pet store, because if I had a dime for every time I hear the "dry food is better for the teeth", I think I'll scream. If this were so, as my vet pointed out last time, then why do so many cats who are SOLELY on dry food have awful tarter on their teeth? My 10 year old cat has been on canned food only for about 5 years now, and her teeth were not bad at all for a cat her age. My vet was very happy to see that, as it confirmed his belief that dry food is not best for the teeth. I do love it, every time I go to to buy food and I hear some 19 year old telling a customer how dry food is better for the teeth....actually, I cringe. My vet told me that I should gently lead people to the catfoodinfo website for an education on this. Personally, I would rather have to get my cats teeth cleaned than to have it die young of kidney failure from eating an all dry diet it's entire life.

Not trying to pick on you Righty, I just hope that you will read up on how wet food is much better for a cats overall health. All of us on here love cats, and just want what's best for them after all.
[notify]

Romeo

Purred: Mon May 6, '13 2:48pm PST 
I adopted 2 cats from a rescue organization that were in great health when I got them. Their age was unknown but they were estimated to be about 1-2 years old. I fed them Natural Balance Ultra for about 5 years with a bit of wet food once in a while as a treat. Fast forward a few years later- I started feeding them the cheapest food I could find due to financial problems. Their health declined in a slow but steady pace. One of the cats lost a lot of weight and the other became obese. Things started looking better financially and I started looking for better food. I discovered that my cats didn't need dry food at all and started feeding them food such as Merrick's and Wellness. They settled into healthy weights soon after but their teeth....what they had left were horribly decayed and they had severe gum disease. Even though I tried to make it right by taking them to the vet for treatment it was really too late. They deteriorated over the next couple years until I felt the only humane thing to do was to put them to sleep. frown I blame myself for not knowing better. I should have researched and taken better care of them. I will always have to live with this. The lesson is...better nutrition leads to a better and longer life. You can buy better food on a budget. Just cut coupons. Join clubs like Petco Pals. Shop around for the best deals.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Tue May 7, '13 7:55am PST 
I have spent years researching "the best" cat food and came to this conclusion: all dry food is basically the same, and its all junk. At this point many will stop reading but i ask for you to look into it for yourself. But, set aside anything that is funded by a petfood company, and try not to get lost into the fads. I have an entire bookcase on cats, including vet textbooks. I also studyed feline nutrition with a vet, and read many books on the subject in the college library. i worked as a vet assistant, and have done rescue for over 6 years. Trust me, i have looked into this matter extensively.I hope to encourage people to do that same. I use to believe in dry food because vets said i should. I think differently now. My cats are both 8 years old and are in super health.

I almost lost my cat to diet dry food. It made her stool hard, twisted up her colon, and i spent the next year trying to save her life. It cost me 3 grand and much heartache. This was the final push to convince me to switch to canned and then from there i moved on to making my own all meat food. How, do you ask, did diet dry cause all this? by putting wood fiber in the food to cut back on calories. Cats cannot digest this well. It isnt food, after all!

I know that all meat homemade food can be super expensive, so i would encourage you to buy Friskies pate style. do not get chunks, slices, special diet, ect. JUST pate. Turkey and giblets pate, ocean fish pate, chicken pate, ect. This food is cheep, and is one of the only catfoods that have mostly meat in it. Some do have small amounts of rice, which in my option, is the best grain if you have to do grain. Avoid potatoes and other starches. those are NOT good for cats.

Feel free to compare labels on every style, brand and type of canned catfood. you will see that not all the expensive ones are better.
[notify]

Sammy

The Wizard Cat

Purred: Tue May 7, '13 9:47am PST 
Sammy eats Earthborn Holistic, both dry and wet. It is by far her most favorite food. We have tried many other brands (TOTW, Wellness, Nature's Variety, etc) but this is THE brand for her. I pay $28 for a 15 pound bag and $.99 for a 3 oz can. 5 oz. cans are $1.49. EH sends a $3 off coupon by email every month. I highly recommend this brand.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2