GO!

Converting a kibble addict

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:36am PST 
Yay! It is a huge victory that he ate some of at all!! I can't tell you the hell I went through when I tried to convert my kibble addict. My cat did not even take a bite of canned food for the first week. What I did was just offer a small amount, like 1/4 cup of dry food in the morning, and then put a small amount of canned food out. I just put small amounts out at first, since I figured it would most likely go to waste. So I made sure there was access to canned food all day, I periodicaly would change it out, but left just small amounts. After almost the whole week of this food standoff...lol, Beep finally broke down and took a few bites of the canned. By the next week, she was eating some of the canned food. We did this same thing, fed the small amount of dry and left the canned food out, for at least a month or maybe even longer, I can't remember the exact length of time, but she did start eating more canned. The funny thing is, now, 4 years later, I still give Beep about 10 tiny little kibbles of food at bedtime. It is more of a treat than a meal, but she looks forward to it so much, so I still do it. But she eats two meals of canned now, morning and evening, canned food with some warm water mixed in it, and then the 10 little kibbles at bedtime. She lost 5 pounds in a year after being off the kibble! Went from 14 to 9 pounds. She learned, and WE learned, that they don't need 24/7 access to kibble, but rather set mealtimes are better for their health.

Also, I don't think it's so much the brand of food right now....although I think only die hard piggies who will eat anything will eat EVO, it has never been a favorite for my cats. When I was trying to convert Beep, I actually used (I know....this sounds shocking!) fancy feast classics, because that stuff is like crack to cats, LOL!!! I actually do not like ff, but for purposes of conversion, it might actually be an easier food to get them to eat than most. You might have luck with Weruva, the chicken ones, too. I feed my outside feral cat ff...the only thing she will eat, and on occasion when we have run out of Beep's Wellness, we give her a small amount of ff and she goes crazy now over it! This was the cat who would not touch canned food. She was very reluctant and over all ticked off for many, many months about eating canned food, you could see it in her face.....in fact, she would not touch the food if I was looking, only when I was not around to see her consume the food. Stick with it! THe important thing is DO NOT give in and start giving more kibble, other than two times a day, the small amounts, and that is just to make sure they do not starve. Once they start eating the canned food, for sure, even if it is only half the amount and you KNOW they are eating something....you start cutting back on the kibble. Then it's just a few little pieces in the bowl in the morning. It will happen, if you are persistent and you don't give in and start giving more kibble. Hang in there!!! I have been where you are, it is stressful, but it is SOOOO worth it in the long run!!!
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 9:41pm PST 
Beep, that's EXACTLY why we went with Fancy Feast after trying some of the higher end stuff. I have every intention of upgrading once he's consistently eating wet food!

When I was a vet tech, we would use warmed Fancy Feast to tempt sick kitties who didn't feel like eating into taking a nibble. That was actually one of my favorite parts of the job, sitting after my "official" shift had ended and tempting the reluctant eaters one little lick at a time. I'm VERY good at getting sick kitties eating, but Kyubey is just stubborn!

Brownie, he DOES eat much better if I sit with him and pet him, it's MY habits that need to change to make that happen more often! I tend to sleep late and flee out the door in the morning, I need to get up a few minutes earlier to sit with him while he dines. I do generally sit with him for his evening meal, we both love it.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 4:24am PST 
It's good that you know what you need to do, having been the one to get the sick kitties to eat the fancy feast. I think it will happen. My cat Beep was the most stubborn cat ever to get to eat canned food. Honestly, I had tried many times before and just gave up when she wouldn't eat it right away. I think once you have seen them eat, even just a few bites of the canned food, it's safe to say that they will most likely eat more of it once they get hungry. I will never forget the angry look on Beeps face at first when she knew that the kibble was a thing of the past and that I meant for her to eat this other stuff every day....she was ticked! But she is so much better off now, I feel. Good luck to you. It is harder, more inconvenient to have to take the time to feed canned food, but when you love your babies, you want to do what is best for them. You are a good cat mama!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2