GO!

what kind of can cat is best

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 9:53am PST 
baby wants her diet changed to can cat food she was raised on cans I gave her friskes dry food for a while ive only had her for anout 8 months she seems to like fancy feast ive been giving her a halve three times a day I think I should give a hole she is really getting demamanding for the past couple of days with the dry food she was throwing up like every couple of days and she was losing weight she wouild only eat like every other day with the canned food she cant wait to get it she jumps on top of counter while im trying to dish it out it is like she didn't eat in days so im trying to find other canned food that are good for her she is thirteen yrs old
[notify]

Shannara

Biscuit Maker

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 1:38pm PST 
If she's jumping on the counter and can't wait to get it, she's HUNGRY! The Fancy Feast cans are small so I suggest you feed her the whole can, three times a day. And if you see she is still hungry, give her another can as a bedtime snack. Stay with the Fancy Feast "Classic", not the gravy or grilled. Don't feed too much fish; maybe one can a week as a special treat, although some cats don't like fish or only certain types of canned fish cat food.

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 3:19pm PST 
She needs something with more protein which is what a cat should be eating anyways. Something like Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, Nature's Variety, etc. grain free, wet food and because she's small she needs more of it. She needs to put muscle on and she needs a good high protein food to do that.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 4:51pm PST 
Half a 3 oz can three times a day isn't enough food shrug It might be ok if you are also feeding dry food but if you are feeding only canned food, it's not enough.

Those little 3 oz cans add up in cost over time. It's better to buy a brand that is available in larger size cans, 5 oz or even 13 oz. Grain-free is ideal. There are good brands you can find at the chain pet store (Petco, Petsmart, etc): Wellness, Nature's Variety, Blue Buffalo, etc. Non-chain independent pet stores usually carry the high end brands like Innova EVO, Weruva, Go Natural, Hounds and Gato, etc.

The general rule of thumb is to feed 20 to 25 calories per ideal body weight. Pet food cans don't contain much info about calories so use these charts:
http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf
Hobo's food list
Pet Food Nutritional Values

An average 1o pound cat may need 200 to 250 calories per day. Since many canned foods are under 100 calories, you may need to feed more than one can per day.

I suggest feeding taking one 5 oz can and splitting that into several mini meals throughout the day. You can addjust the amount as needed. You can use a programmable timed feeder to space out the mini meals. The Petsafe 5 compartment feeder works well.

Has your cat been checked by a vet lately? 13 years old is senior age. Losing weight and always being hungry can indicate diabetes. The vet can run bloodwork to check for diabetes and other common health issues that occur in senior cats.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 8:12pm PST 
I can tell you that when I feed my cat Wellness, which is more expensive, they are not going around all day crying for food. They are satisfied. Their coats are gorgeous, and they feel like velvet. And I don't have to feed as much of it. I divide one 5 ounce can between 3 cats...one gets slightly more than the other two, he is littler, and he gets a third bed time snack of maybe another third of one of those size cans. At one point, my husband bought Nutro cans, and I tried it, and the cats loved it, but they had the worst smelling poop....I thought I was going to have to move, it was that bad, and they were not satisfied like when I fed them the Wellness. So for me, it's better to feed a better quality food like Wellness, and then I can feed them less since it has less fillers in it.
[notify]

Purred: Fri Mar 22, '13 6:04pm PST 
I started giving her a hole can this morning on Tuesday and Fridays im gone all day so my mom doesn't have to feed her she doesn't eat it all at once she goes back and forth to it she seems to like primavera fancy feast the best I only can fimnd that at one store which is walmart were do I get well ness from do they come in canned food she seems to like the gravy ones then the others
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Mar 23, '13 5:54am PST 
Wellnes canned food? That's a good brand smile http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/recipes.aspx?pet=cat&ft=2 Wellness has cube, sliced, and minced varietes that are in gravy besides the regular pate food.

Are you in the US? You can find Wellness at chain pet stores like Petco and PetSupplies Plus and also at non-chain independent pet stores. But it's not sold at Petsmart. Here's the store locator on the Wellness web site that you can use to find a local store: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/store-locator.aspx

Walmart usually has a good selection of the big name inexpensive brands like Fancy Feast and Friskies. But you won't find any premium cat food brand at Walmart, Target, or other similar stores.

Ordering food online is another option at places like PetFoodDirect.com and OnlyNaturalPet.com but shipping can be costly.

Human likes the canned and/or pouched brands Nature's Variety (the Instinct line), Weruva, Innova EVO, and Go Natural smile The Weruva company also makes the similar but lesser expensive Soulistic which is sold at Petco and the mostly seafood based Best Feline Food (BFF).

If you want more suggestions for brands of canned food, just ask way to go I think most people fed grain-free brands now but some brands are pretty pricey. Catster friends can suggest affordable brands of food for you smile

Try a variety of brands and textures and flavors to see what your cat likes and doesn't like smile Once you know what your cat likes, maybe rotate through two brands or so for variety. Don't feed too much seafood, though. It's low in protein, can be high in phosphorus which is not good for a senior cat's kidneys, and some cats get addicted to eating it and will refuse to eat anything else.

Please know that some brands of canned foods are not complete diets shock They are only supplements meant to be fed alongside dry food or as a treat. Fancy Feast Appetiziers is one such brand. Thre's a teeny tiny statement on the label that says that the fodo is a supplement. Perosnally, I think the statement must be much larger and easier to read but you know pet food companies. They just want to make $$$$ and as long as a statement is put on the label somewhere, even in teeny hard to read print, it's not their problem if a Huamn doesn't read the label and feeds the food to the cat as the only food and the cat ends up with serious health problems resulting from a nutrient deficient diet shrug naughty

Edited by author Sat Mar 23, '13 5:58am PST

[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sat Mar 23, '13 7:42am PST 
I agree, all of those are great brands, I have tried many of them. My feral cat LOVES the primevera brand of fancy feast, and the appetizer ones, but actually, those ff cans can add up, because you usually feed 2 a day, which is about $1.20-$1.70 for two cans, which one can of Wellness is roughly $1.60 a can...cheaper some places, cheaper online, but I have never bought online. So you can actually feed a better quality food for roughly the same as ff, if you feed two cans a day. I agree that fish should just be occasional and a treat. I will be looking into Soulistic, I did see that at Petco recently, will look into it again. I once bought a freeze dried cat food called Stella and Chewy's, you mix it with warm water, they loved it. It was expensive, but I just bought a few pouches of it (the small ones) and used it as a treat. In my opinion, just about any canned food is better than dry, even the higher quality dry ones. Avoid meow mix, nine lives, the really low quality stuff, it has animal digest....as most of those super yummy treats have, which is awful. Read up on animal digest, yo uwill be horrified.
[notify]

Mietzi- Katze&hearts- ;

I'm a wild thing

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 4:17am PST 
Merlin, my local PetSmart has Wellness. Not a great selection but they have some Wellness. big grin
Thank you for the links to the nutritional values. Those are pawsome. way to go

Edited by author Mon Mar 25, '13 4:23am PST

[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Mar 25, '13 8:59am PST 
Oh laugh out loud I guess Petsmart does sell Wellness now smile

At many non-chain independent pet stores you can special order food that the store doesn't carry or maybe they don't have the particular variety you want smile Big chains like Petco and Petsmart won't do this shrug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2