GO!

Kitten not eating dry food like she used too.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Sun Mar 3, '13 4:46pm PST 
I usually give her half a cup in the mornings and another at night when its empty. But now when I give her half a cup some of it is still there at night. I think she may be holding back for her wet food which I usually give to her as a treat. That would be fine if the wet food wasn't Fancy Feast. That's why I only give it to her as a treat. The dry food brand I use (iVet) is very good for her. How do I get it through her head she won't be eating wet food everyday? I've tried before and I don't wanna feel like I'm starving her. :/
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Mon Mar 4, '13 4:28am PST 
Kitty knows what is best for her. In my opinion, and many cat people will tell you the same, even a lower quality wet food, like fancy feast, is better for her than even a higher quality dry food. Dry food has too much sodium and not enough moisture for cats, whereas canned food is like 78% water. Dry food...and I speak from experience with many cats, cats of my own, and family and friends who have fed an exclusively canned food diet, leads to UTI's and kidney problems. My male cat almost died from a urinary blockage twice when I was feeding him EVO, a pretty expensive dry, high quality food. Then a holistic begged me to not feed my cat dry food ever again, and explained how bad it was for them, and so I switched them to canned food, and they have not had any UTI's since, and that has been 4 years. Most of the foods the vets sell, especially the science diet and royal canin, they are expensive and the vets will lead you to believe they are superior foods, but they are far from it! Most of them are full of corn and by-products and contain very little meat. I0 years ago, my first cat Beep, I had her on science diet and she ate constantly and was overweight, and her coat was awful, and she shed her coat so badly, when I had heard how bad the stuff was. As soon as I changed her to a food that had meat as the first ingredient, she instantly was satisfied and no longer wanted to eat all the time, because she was getting meat finally. I would encourage you to read up about dry food, I dont want to sound like I'm preaching, and I didn't know otherwise when I first became a cat owner, but you can read about it and how much better canned food is. And if your cat is an adult and not very active, they really don't need that much! My adults eat 1/3 of a can (tuna size can) in the morning and another 1/3 of a can for dinner and they are fine. Since yours is a kitten, she will need more than that, probably a can and a half. Fancy feast is not as bad as some people think, my feral outdoor cat eats it and I have friends that feed it. It's not as cheap as if you bought a little better quality canned food, like natural balance or even nutro, you can get that relatively cheap, they sell it at petsmart. Newman's Own Organics makes a decent canned food and they sell it at my local grocery store. Kitten knows what she wants, she knows what is best for her, and I think even if you gave her mostly canned, and even gave her a little dry in the middle of the day to hold her over until dinner, that would be better than a mostly dry diet.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Mon Mar 4, '13 5:50am PST 
*** correction, I meant feeding an exclusively DRY diet can lead to or make worse UTI's. I accidently put that an exclusively canned diet, because it was early, and I'm a bit of an airhead! big grin
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Mon Mar 4, '13 1:12pm PST 
I have been working on getting my crew to eat more and more wet food. Wet food is more than a treat. If it is the price there are sales. If it is ingredients, try this one:

Chicken, salmon, chicken liver, turkey, duck, chicken broth, whole grain brown rice, white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, barley, egg product, guar gum, flaxseed meal, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, taurine, dried chicory root, carrageenan gum, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, copper sulfate, calcium iodate and sodium selenite.

No by products, corn, wheat, soy or yeast in the Chicken Soup for the Soul kitten and you can get 24 5.5 oz cans for $21.00.

I looked at the kitten iVet dry:

Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavor, Corn Gluten Meal, Flaxseed, Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish Meal (source of natural DHA), Dried Cheese, Dried Egg Product, Dried Brewers Yeast, Taurine, Minerals (Salt, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Manganous Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite) Yucca Schidigera, Rosemary Extract, Beta-Carotene, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement)

WOW!!! That is a lot of corn!!!

My crew grazes on dry* food and I try to feed them wet food three times a day.
* No corn, wheat or soy.
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Mon Mar 4, '13 1:38pm PST 
WOW! I just read the ingredients in the Adult iVet dry food. Powdered cellulose aka wood pulp, saw dust. I'm not big on wood in cat food.

I forgot to say, well said Beep! Brownie was begging me for canned food and I posted before saying Bravo.

I'm sure others on the forum will say feed cheapest wet food is better than the most expensive dry food. Try the Fancy Feast classics!! (If it is money, three words - Black Friday sale)
[notify]

Xena

They call me- Last Cat, now- why is that?

Purred: Tue Mar 5, '13 10:24am PST 
I feed Instinct Raw rabbit to my cat. It took awhile to get her off dry kibble but now she loves it. It is rather pricey but lasts a long time.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Mar 5, '13 7:51pm PST 
I failed to mention that the Fancy Feast I feed her is what I started her out with when I first got her however, the vet said she hadn't gained any weight and gave me the iVet so she could eat anytime to gain some weight and for her teeth. This was when she was 2 months old. I figured since she was a kitten and the dry food had all these vitamins in it that it was good for her. I have noticed her fur is very soft but then again I am a first time owner so I don't have too much experience.

I'm going to go ahead and try the wet food in the morning, dry around noon, and some wet for dinner. Could I possibly mix a little of the dry into her wet food? shrug
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Mar 6, '13 6:59am PST 
Never mix dry and wet food - the dry is full of bacteria that gets "activated" and grows when wet (my very non-scientific explanation!). In addition, it's a myth that dry food cleans teeth. It would be like you eating potato chips to keep your teeth clean. You would be better off feeding her as much wet as she'll eat if she still needs to gain weight. Stick to high protein/low carb wet food and you'll keep her full and healthy! If money is an issue you can feed the Friskies pate flavors. They're very reasonable and have no wheat gluten.
[notify]

Pandora

Purred: Wed Mar 6, '13 8:17am PST 
Oh, I didn't know that! Money isn't too much of an issue since she's the only cat I have. I may think about switching her to a higher quality wet food if I intend to keep her on it. I know you said Fancy Feast is fine but I'd feel better if i at least gave other brand a try.

She's not having any issue gaining weight anymore, thankfully. That was resolved after a month and we've been to the vet maybe 3 times since then and they hadn't said anything so I'm assume she's fine.

(Also this is the OP I just now figured out how to add her on this site)
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Mar 6, '13 2:18pm PST 
Welcome Pandora! Since you don't need to worry as much about cost, try to go with a quality grain-free canned. Wellness grain-free flavors, Natural Balance LID, Instinct, Evo - things like that, with as much meat and as few other ingredients as possible.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2