GO!

Cats stopped liking flaked foods

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '13 10:26pm PST 
I have worked so hard to get the cats to get any canned food. We started off with the ones with gravy because that was what Brownie liked. About June, I started to add the pate ones. This fall, we stopped heating up the left over half of the can in the microwave. We started to add a little water from out instant hot water dispenser. With the right amount of water it's like gravy, which Brownie loves. So now I have some cans of Soulistic Good Karma which up to the fall I had to cup up & added some water. But none of them will eat it because it is flaked & no matter how much I cut it it still was not small enough. I did not what to do with the Good Karma cans & stop feed the in Oct. Then final I had a light bulb moment. I got out the KitchenAid stick blender. I pureed the entire can. It's a runny pate with gravy. Brownie loves it now. Even Cookie liked it. But Candie is slowly eating canned food again.

On a good day, they will eat up to 7.5 oz plus the extra water we add to make more gravy. On a normal day, they eat 4.5 oz plus a little water. I'm happy to report Brownie is liking more poultry canned foods at the moment. I bought 1 can of BG5 quail. Brownie ate the entire can almost all by himself in 2 days. Man, that stuff is a silky puree. About a month ago, everyone starting the duck kibbles again & there sits the fish one. I was 2 lbs from finishing a bag of the fish kibble.

The point of this post, if you find a chunky type of canned food you can make it into a puree.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Fri Jan 18, '13 11:09am PST 
I have done that too. My mom has a tiny (& I mean 2 cups tiny) food processor, that is perfect for kitty food. I had to use that on the Soulistic pouches, they won't eat shreds at all.
[notify]