GO!

Hi, new to this group. Question/seek recommendations re: food for urinary tract

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sol

That's Miss Boss- to you!

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '13 4:07pm PST 
Hi,
Currently eating wet and dry food that is by vet prescription/vet sold only food. It has become very expensive and wondering if there are any recommendations for comparable brands that we can try out. For dry food, we prefer the bigger kibbles, so that 1) we don't eat too fast, and 2) it cleans our teeth.

Also, are there any gravies that are recommended for putting in wet or dry food to add some variety?

In the past, we've also tried "Prescription Diet". Please mail me privately or comment here. Thanks!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:51pm PST 
Dry food does not clean a cat's teeth shrug It's a big myth. Only regular teeth brushing and/or dentals will keep your teeth healthy. Some people even give their cats raw poultry neck bones and gizzards to gnaw on for dental health.

Catinfo.org has all the info you need about proper cat nutrition way to go There's a section there on urinary issues and why dry foods contribute to it.

The best diet is canned/pouched and/or raw food smile Any commerical brand will do. Some people even make their own homemade raw food using a recipie.

Canned food doesn't really need extra gravy or anything put into it. Gravy canned or pouched food already has gravy in it laugh out loud Adding some water to pate canned food makes a sort of "gravy" and is a lot healthier than a commerical brand of cat food gravy that may contain by products and artificial colors and stuff shrug

Don't add water or any liquid to dry food. Harmful bacteria will grow, especailly since most people just leave a big bowl of dry food sitting out all day long (or longer shock)
[notify]

Sol

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '13 10:06am PST 
Excellent advice. Thanks so much!
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '13 3:48pm PST 
Great advice, and I agree 100 %. My male cat used to have chronic UTI's and I had him on expensive crap from the vet for it, when a trip to the holistic vet with my dog, ironically, and the vet asked me if I had cats. And then she lectured me for a half hour on how I should NEVER, NOT EVER, feed dry food to my cats, especially male cats. And she said no fish canned food for the males, especially, but that she did not like the canned foods even with fish. And she said to add water to the food, like the previous poster said, just buy the classic or pate style and add some warm water to it. My male cat (knocking on wood right now) has not suffered a UTI since I took her advice. My cats are so much healthier. I try to tell people (gently) about how bad dry food is, without being pushy or bossy, but it is so true, and rarely the people I do tell listen, but it is true. I always say, go and read about it on the internet.
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:52pm PST 
Often these crystals build into stones and the reason they prescribe the food is simply to change the pH of the urine.kitty
[notify]

Sol

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:53pm PST 
Thank you also, Beep! Great advice there. It makes sense not to give them too much dry food; what are some of the healthiest cat treats you've tried? Should we stick to the chewy kind/non-dry, then for those too?

THANKS SO MUCH!
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:59pm PST 
p.s. I was talking about urinary tract crystals. Commercial foods can change the pH of the urine. The difference is that the prescription food works fasterkitty
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '13 6:06pm PST 
One more thing: if she is struggling with it, she will squat right in front of you to show you that she feels like she has to go but she can't.kitty
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Fri Jan 18, '13 4:16am PST 
I would like to know myself which cat treats are the best ones to give. My cats love treats, but I only give them 1 or 2 little treats. The last ones I bought for them where made by Natural Balance and they were tiny little chewy treats, and they love them....but they would love anything, they are piglets! My sister in law gave me some Temptations, and I reluctantly gave them some of those, because it said they were made in Canada, but I think they may not be the best quality treats....but I don't think they are the worst ones either.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jan 18, '13 9:08am PST 
Freeze dried meat treats are great way to go They are 100% meat or fish and healthy big grin There are lots of brands: Halo Liv A Littles, Real Food Toppers, PureBites, Whole Life, Wildside Salmon, etc.

Bonito/tuna flakes are good smile Pet stores sell them but in tiny containers for a big price. You can buy a big bag from an Asian grocery store for only a few dollars way to go

Freeze dried raw food is good, too smile Stella and Chewy's is one good brand.

The occasional "junky" treat is ok. Big names brands like Whisker Lickens, Feline Greenies, Pounce, etc.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2