GO!

Help! Having trouble putting weight on our rescue!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tom

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 6:03am PST 
Hi
We rescued Tom in July. He was very thin, skeletal!! He has been checked by the vet and all is fine. He is wormed regularly etc etc. he has quality dried food down 24/7 with his water, and a small tin of whiskas every morning. He does have a tiny frame and has put some weight on but is still quite skinny!! Any ideas?

Thank you all smile
[notify]

Tom

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 6:05am PST 
Oh and he does eat all his wet food and his big bowl of dry everyday!
[notify]

Calvin Mc- Catster- D.I.T#46b

Named for a- Legend, I become- one!

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:18am PST 
hiw is his stool? How old is he?
Our little black house panther Midnight-a failed foster-is very thin. We were told to get his stool retested for possible giardia, as this can cause thinness. Older cats, also, sometimes have trouble gaining weight-Smokieboo has losst weight as he's gotten older and will need a 'senior panel' soon. There are so many reasons taht can cause cats not to gain weight...our cats get canned and dry-the dry is Nataural Balance Salmon and Rabbit as our vet suggested 'novel' proteins for him-and thus, for all my cats who eat dry. Middy eats anything, and we are also having a problem with him putting on weight. However, he is just a year old, plays, and appears otherwise healthy.

We are probably going to have to have him checked again soon.

all the best to you!
[notify]

Tom

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:05am PST 
His stools are fine, not too runny, he goes regularly enough. The rescue centre said he was 2 but the vet thinks three. He is eating as I'm typing this! Hmmm might get him back to the vets then, thank you smile
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:36am PST 
Is he actually underweight, and if so, by how much?

If the vets think he is healthy, I would give him canned kitten food. That stuff is loaded with calories for growing kittens. He should put weight on with that, if he doesn't then I would be concerned. It took Merida a bit to gain with kitten food, about a week and a half i think. Her mother though is very long and lean.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:24am PST 
Maybe Tom is just naturally skinny shrug I wouldn't worry about the skinniness as long as Tom is otherwise healthy smile Being overweight is unhealthy, just like it is for people.
[notify]

Tom

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:08am PST 
The vet thinks he is a little under weight, he is only 4-5 pounds. He is naturally petite. Do you think he will be ok on kitten food even though he is nearly 3 years old?

Thank you all smile
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:55am PST 
Kitten food is an excellent way to put on the weight needed I think. Its going to have higher protein and fat content. Once Tom has gained the weight he needs, you can switch back to something for adults.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 2:38pm PST 
I think canned kitten food is a great idea. I get some *very* thin fosters sometimes and one thing I find that helps them gain weight is to feed them as many meals a day as I can and as they'll eat. Try a minimum of four times a day with as much as he'll eat in each sitting. Also on a side note, you may want to do some research on the problems associated with dry food. It will cause cats to gain weight but not in a good way - it has a lot of carbs which are not good for them.
[notify]

Romeo

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '13 6:17am PST 
Switching to a food with no grains, higher protein content, and no by-products will help Tom gain some much needed pounds. I had the same problem with my 2 elderly cats. One was obese and the other was way too thin. I changed their diets and now they are both at healthy weights. I feed them canned food like Wellness, Merrick's Before Grain 96%, and Nature's Variety Instinct. There are many more good choices but my cats like these the best.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2