GO!

Orijen?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Noodle

Doesn't afraid- of anything

Purred: Sat Dec 15, '12 8:46pm PST 
I've always thought this food to be fantastic for cats and I love its sister product Acana for my dogs. I was recently informed that this food is no longer considered good though? Ingredients from China and cats are getting sick from irradiated ingredients?

I just recently recommended it to a friend who just got a new kitten and she was told in the pet store that it's no longer considered as good as it was.

Thoughts?
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:30am PST 
I always thought this was a great kibble for cats as well. Never heard of any issues from it. Actually when I give kibble to Hunter, this is what he eats. I am planning on buying a bag this week too. He doesn't eat it as a staple food. He gets a 95% wet food diet. He has never gotten sick from it.

I'm going to look into it before I buy a bag though. Don't want my boy getting sick.

Thanks for the info!
[notify]

Elliot

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 12:11am PST 
Hmmm.. is there anyway to confirm this information? I mix orijen in with Royal canine and halo... I just couldn't decide which one to feed my cat, hence the mix.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sat Feb 2, '13 8:09pm PST 
According to their website, they are back in full operation. It says their ovens were broken temporarily and they were behind in production, but they are now back in operation and it says that they never outsourced their food to another company. I have never fed Orijen to my cats, but my doberman used to eat it and it was wonderful stuff. I cannot imagine that they would ever get food from China and that they are still a very high quality product. If you go to their website you can read all about this.
[notify]

Samantha

Warning: Do not- anger cat.

Purred: Sun Feb 3, '13 1:07pm PST 
The irradiated ingredients thing was something that happened a LONG time ago, and it wasn't the company's fault, either. I don't remember exactly, but I think Australia requires imported animal food to be irradiated before it comes into the country and that was the cause of that problem.

I've never heard anything about Chinese ingredients and that goes so much against the company's policies that I really doubt it's true. Of course, it would be good to research that...

I really think that the petstore employees were misinformed. In my opinion it is still the best dry cat food available.
[notify]

Noodle

Doesn't afraid- of anything

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 12:59pm PST 
Thank you, Samantha. That's what I figured but wanted to confirm here.
[notify]