GO!

Need Advice on the right cat food for elderly cat

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Munch

Miracle Kitty

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 4:45am PST 
I have 8 rescues, and Munch,one of the oldest (14 yrs) has lost a lot of weight recently. He is part Maine Coon and was always very large (16 lbs) but now he's probably only 12 lbs.

He's been to the vet who drew blood, did a physical exam, and fecal exam. Nothing was found to indicate what is going on with him.

Another worry I have is that he vomits A LOT.

I feed all my cats Taste of the Wild dry food, but he seems to not like it. I fed them Blue Buffalo dry for a couple years, but it really didn't agree with Munch. He had horrible diarrhea, and since switching to the TOTW, his diarrhea has gotten much better. But I don't think he likes the taste.

He's constantly trying to get into the container of dry Friskies I feed my feral colony. But I don't want him to eat that. When he does, he pukes up red dye puke. I know that stuff is not good for him.

Any suggestions on what I could feed Munch instead of TOTW?

My biggest issue is that he REFUSES to eat wet food. I have been trying to get him to try it for years...all different kinds/brands. He has no interest. He doesn't even like cat treats...only dry cat food.

I am at a loss for what to give him to fatten him up. Making home-made food isn't the answer either b/c I've gone that route and it was a no-go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 8:26am PST 
Did your vet do a test for hyperthyroidism? That can cause severe weight loss. Also it sounds like he could have IBD and that's got to be treated, he can't just keep wasting away and vomiting so much. Here is my website: IBD Kitties. Please find another vet if this one doesn't want to help you. This is a lot of weight to lose so quickly and especially for a Maine Coon. Try something like Evo, Merrick Before Grain, Nature's Variety, etc. But either way, he needs treatment and a proper diagnosis. Cats don't vomit like this and lose weight for no reason.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 7:48pm PST 
I agree that IBD or Hypothyroidism could very well cause the weight loss and vomiting. Further testing may help you determine his issues. As for diet, any of the premium, all natural kibbles will be okay until you can find out what his real issues are. I use Nutro Natural Choice and my 15 year old gobbles it right up. I'd stay away from the Senior formulas for now. Sounds like he can use all the carbs and calories and protein he can get right now. Best of luck to you and please give an update if you have any news.
[notify]

Munch

Miracle Kitty

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:35am PST 
My vet has tested Munches thyroid (several times over the past year, btw), which was always normal. I don't know much about IBS in cats, so I'll have to look that up.

My worry is that I have spent so much money on switching him to different kinds of cat foods, and he doesn't like any of them (except that horrible Friskies!) I can't afford to keep buying these expensive brands, and hoping he'll like them (when most of the time he doesn't).

I was hoping someone knew of a healthy dry food that is not too outrageous in price. Or are there semi-dry/wet cat foods out there??? Something softer so it would be easier to chew for him? Like I said, he refuses to eat canned wet food to my dismay!

My vet really is a good vet. I've been going to him for over a decade and he has saved the lives of many of my rescues and given me discount after discount because I rescue and he knows I'm poor. I can't really afford to find another vet (nor do I want to). I have taken Munch in so many times over the past 2 yrs to find out why he has diarrhea and vomiting, and all of the tests show nothing. My vet thinks Munch may have issues because he has herpes (all of my cats have the herpes virus).

I will try him on a new food to see if I can find one that agrees with him...but I was hoping I could get it narrowed down to the best dry food for a cat his age and in his condition so I don't go out and buy a ton of different brands that he won't eat.

Has anyone else had issues with Taste of the Wild? My other cats seem to like it, but for some reason Munch does not. I thought it would be a good food cuz it's grain-free. I really liked feeding them the Blue Buffalo, but there are so many strange ingredients (all the berries, etc) and I think it was too hard on Munches stomach (and some of my other cats as well). I need to find a cat food that is similar in price to TOTW & Blue Buffalo, b/c I am feeding 8 so it can get VERY expensive (and I'm pretty poor!) Most people in my financial situation give their cats the cheapest food they can buy, but I sacrifice to feed my cats decent food. But it's hard. I know some of the food a couple of you mentioned are out of my price range.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
[notify]

Munch

Miracle Kitty

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:38am PST 
Sorry...just noticed you guys were talking about IBD, not IBS. I'll look that up and see what I find! Thanks!
[notify]

Romeo

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:38pm PST 
Like you, I'm not one of the richest people but I do what I can to feed my cats the best food I can afford. I use coupons and if I try a food that my cats don't like I take it back to Petco and they will exchange it no question s asked. I felt really bad the first time I did this but they assured me that they donate the food to rescue organizations so it doesn't go to waste.

My 2 elderly girls were previously on a cheap dry food for years. They vomited nearly every day. One gained a lot of weight and the other lost a lot. I researched cat nutrition and since I started them on a grain-free diet they're both at healthy weights again. Canned food is very important but if Munch won't eat it then maybe another dry food will help. My cats love Merrick's Before Grain the best. It's pretty affordable- comparable to Taste Of The Wild. Another one my cats love is Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Pea and Chicken formula. The limited ingredients are easy on the tummy. I don't feed it to them anymore due to the high-carb content but since Munch is underweight it may help him gain weight. Good luck with him. smile
[notify]