GO!

Cat kibble help!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Mattie

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 10:33am PST 
Hi I am new to forum. Mattie and I are looking for a grain free, potato free, pea (flour), and chicken free cat kibble.... Mattie has an alergies to all of the above. Does anyone know of any kibble that uses a starch free binder and doesn't have chicken in it?
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 1:28pm PST 
All kibble has a carb as a binder. Is chick pea also out? Would you be able to try one that was not grain free?? Barley, oatmeal, millet, or rice?

One to be looked at is not really a kibble but can be eaten as a kibble, Stella & Chewy freeze dried food. Pumpkin seeds is the binder. Tapioca is another carb but I could not see one without pea protein or pea fiber. Ziwipeak is another one. But my cats would not touch the tiny sample nor would my sister three. It was like a tiny piece of expensive jerky.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 1:32pm PST 
I can't recommend a dry food, especially to a cat that has allergies (I have them really bad too). But if she'll eat canned Evo is a good food and the novel protein ones are 95% protein - I don't think they have any binders or added ingredients except vitamins. I was able to clear up most of BK's allergy symptoms by putting him on a raw diet. You may want to do a little research on why a kibble diet isn't great for any cat, never mind one with allergies. I know this doesn't really answer your question, I'm sorry.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 5:01pm PST 
As Brownie said, all dry food contains some kind of starch as a binder to hold the food in their shape shrug A lof of dry foods also contain chicken, even seafood dry foods may contain some form of chicken shrug

Maybe you can try Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw food? http://www.stellaandchewys.com/cat-products.php It's 100% complete. It is highly recommended to rehydrate the food before feeding but you could feed it dry. There is a duck and a turkey formula as well as some seafood ones.

There is also The Honest Kitchen's Grace formula: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/grace/ It is turkey based. It's a powdered dehydrated raw food that must be rehydrated in water before feeding. Dry powder isn't very tasty or easy to eat, not to mention messy shrug

Is canned or raw food not an option? A raw food diet can help cats with food allergies. If you make the food yourself using a recipie, you can control what ingredients are used.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 11:02pm PST 
The one with chick peas is Feline Caviar Buffalo.
[notify]