GO!

Need some advice

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Purred: Thu Oct 11, '12 10:51pm PST 
Hi! I'm a new kitty on the block and I was hoping someone has some advice smile

My baby Saber has had some problems with anal glands and crystals over the years. I've had to take him in twice to have his glands expressed, and then just this week he had to spend the night at the kitty doctor because he has a crystalline blockage in his urinary tract. Doc cleared the blockage and gave antibiotics, Saber has to go for the last shot of those today.

Doc asked what kind of food I have him on. He had previously recommended something with higher fiber to help keep the anal glands in good shape. I have been feeding Saber, and his little step-brother Sox, Special Kitty indoor because of the fiber content, since I switched them to this, no anal gland problems in either kitty. Doc informed me that the majority of cats he's seen recently for crystalline blockages and other urinary problems were on Special Kitty food. He recommends finding a new food for my boys, but here's the problem... They're both picky eaters. They both prefer dry food, but there are many brands they won't touch. And I want to stay with the higher fiber to prevent anal gland issues in the future. My biggest problem is that I am on a very tight budget, the Special Kitty was only costing me about $8 for a 7 pound bag, and that lasts anywhere from 2-3 weeks. Can anyone recommend some good dry food that won't cost an arm and a leg? I've been trying to find some but I'm getting sticker shock here.. Please help shrug
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Fri Oct 12, '12 11:00am PST 
Honestly the best thing for unrinary blocks, is wet food. Tig has had it, and even with wet food, he can still have issues. The vets usually recommend the prescription food - but the dry is full of corn - not so great. The wet has pork by products in it. Tigger will eat a little of that. I think if you can do it, try wet food - they have grain free in the lower cost variety. The water in there is what will help your kitty - they just do not drink enough when on dry food. If nothing else, maybe try mostly wet with a bit of dry. My one cat eats Nature's Variety Instinct. It is not rel cheap, but last a long time & they do not have to eat as much because it is a higher protein. Something else you could try is Cosequin for Cats. It is a sprinkle capsule that helps keep any inflammation from the bladder. I get it online through Amazon. It is safe & vets recommend it too. You can mix the powder with food. For fiber, you could add a bit of plain canned pumpkin with the wet food. Just some thoughts.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Oct 12, '12 12:54pm PST 
Tigger's right - the best thing you can do is switch to wet food. It may put a strain on your budget, but not as much as vet visits do! The wet food should eliminate the crystal problems and if there's not enough fiber in it, it's much easier to add fiber to canned food. You can add unsweetened pumpkin or psyllium powder if necessary.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat Oct 13, '12 8:10pm PST 
Hi welcome A wet diet would be the ideal situation for Tigger. I don't know where you are located or what brands you have available. You can check out the Nutro Max Cat line here http://www.nutro.com/natural-pet-food/natural-cat-food.aspx There are 2 lines of food, Max Cat or Nutro Natural Choice. Max Cat is the more economical of the 2 lines. There are quite a few supermarket brands that are good too but the important thing is keeping Tigger hydrated in order to avoid these issues in the future. Wet food is just the ticket for it. It might be hard to transition him from kibble to wet but it is not an impossible task. Keep at it and best of luck to you!
[notify]

Arthur

Purred: Mon Oct 15, '12 1:22pm PST 
Whatever food you feed, please make sure it does not contain spinach. Spinach contributes to the formation of oxalate crystals, and you have already seen where crystals can lead.
[notify]