GO!

Best food for UTI prone cat

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Junior

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '12 4:35pm PST 
We just had to have Junior to the vet again for a UTI. He had some crystals and what they called sludge. The vet recommended a prescription food (Royal Canin Urinary SO) because he gets them frequently.

We got some for now but I was wondering if anybody had any success with any other brand, or with a prescription diet. Possibly something with a little more variety because he can be a picky eater.

I read that you should avoid fish flavors but other than that I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:00pm PST 
They key is WATER way to go Any commerical brand of canned food will work, not just the prescription stuff. Here some info: http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth You can add extra water to the canned food to ensure good water intake. How much water to add is the cat's preference. Some like soupy food, others do not.

Dry food doesn't add any essential water to the cat's body which leads to dehydration and concentrated urine which can lead to the formation of urinary crystals and stuff. So feed canned food if you can. I suppose a partial canned food/dry food diet would be ok as long as you add extra water to the canned food to make up for the lack of water in the dry thinking

There are some commerical urinary tract canned food formulas out there but you don't need those.

Feed whatever brand you like. A grain-free brand is ideal. Seafood can be fed but should be limited to once in awhile meals or treats.

If you have urinary stones then it's probably best to temporarily feed the prescription diet shrug The food will help dissolve the stones. Once the stones are gone, you don't need to continue with the prescription stuff IMO silenced

Raw food can be fed as well. You can buy a commerical brand if you don't want to make it yourself. There are lots of brands out there. Frozen raw is typical. There are freeze dried raw as well but many are not 100% complete diets so read the label. You can rehdyrate the freeze dried raw in water before feeding. Stella and Chewy's is one brand of 100% complete freeze dried raw you could try. The Honest Kitchen makes dehydrated raw food that must be rehydrated in water before feeding (it's a box of powder and not very yummy or easy to eat dry shock)
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Thu Sep 20, '12 8:50pm PST 
I agree with everything Merlin has said. I would never outguess my vet but hydration is the key to it all and a wet diet will be a huge help in getting through the UTI but also it will help in avoiding a future outbreak of it.
[notify]

Abby

I squeak- therefore I am

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 11:04pm PST 
I can confirm what has been said above. I had a run of urinary tract infections when I was first adopted. An all wet diet (w. a bit of additional water mixed in to the canned food, and using mostly grain free brands) put an end to it.

I should say that in my case a diet of mixed dry and wet foods didn't work. Until I went to all wet foods I had problems, but I also am one of those cats that just won't drink plain water...
[notify]

Junior

Purred: Sat Sep 22, '12 6:34am PST 
Thanks for the responses. We are trying a variety of food to see what he takes to but so far it looks like Fancy Feast and Friskies are his favorites and the only kind he doesn't take one look at and walk away from. He is on a different antibiotic this time and we are adding glucosamine on another rec from the vet.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sun Sep 23, '12 8:40am PST 
Keep us posted on your progress. You might want to check out Nutro Max Cat if it is in your area. It's a premium food that will not break the bank but it's more expensive than FF or Friskies. It's chunky with gravy and all of us love it here. Especially the duck and venison big grin
[notify]

Coconut

My mom works for- MARS Petcare

Purred: Thu Sep 27, '12 6:24am PST 
It really does depend on the type of Urinary Tract Problem the cat has. If it is constant UTI's or a specific type of crystal. Increased water in the diet does help BUT not all canned diets will control urinary tract problems. The increased hydration in them will help flush the urinary tract and reduce crystal formation but they wont necessarily prevent them. The Waltham Centre has done a lot of research on urinary tract problems and you can find some valuable information on them on their website:
http://www.waltham.com/document/nutrition/cat/cat-urinary- tract-health/276/
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Sep 27, '12 4:55pm PST 
It seems that Wellness canned food may cause urinary issues shrug There's no hard evidence about this, just some cases of cats who were eating Wellness (don't know if dry or canned or both) and developed urinary crystals and other things. There are some Catster posts on this topic.

Dr. Lisa of Catinfo.org posted her two cents about Wellness and urinary issues here.

I would avoid Wellness canned food for a urinary issue prone cat just to be on the safe side.

Edited by author Thu Sep 27, '12 4:56pm PST

[notify]

Purred: Fri Feb 28, '14 8:06am PST 
We have been to the vet several time for Gracie and once for Lisa with UtI issues.The vet prescribed Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry because they ALL REFUSE the RC wet.I have been giving them Friskies special diet and merrick chicken with adding some BERRY BALANCE daily. I am almost afraid to say it has been working. I periodically try other cans of food just for fun and variety. But pleasing 7 is almost impossible. I wanted to ask if anyone has been using EVO chicken and turkey canned and if any UTI's were aggravated.As usual, 4 out 7 like the food.I also have water bowls in many different places to keep them drinking.Mostly, 3 of them want MY CUP of WATER.
[notify]

Elizabeth

The Queen Bee!

Purred: Sat Mar 1, '14 11:50pm PST 
Lots of my text books say that it can come down to how often you feed as well, as in leaving food accessible all day can cause problems.

A friend of mine has a UTI prone cat and is also a feline dietician and uses the Royal Canin urinary health though so I would say that's a great start!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2