GO!

Mom is against switching our cats to an all canned food diet :|

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥Kobe- and- Aidan&hearts- ;

♥♥♥ 2- Sweet & Awesome- Cats ♥♥♥

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 12:41pm PST 
I am looking for some websites, experiences, and "proof" that canned cat food is better for my cats than hard kibble. My mom is the main one stopping me from switching our cats to an all canned food diet. I just want the best for our kitties, and so does my mom, but she just doesn't understand how much better canned food is over dry. I have been feeding our 3 cats 1 can of Friskies or Fancy Feast per day in the morning (and then they eat dry Solid Gold Indigo Moon or Merrick's Before Grain the rest of the day). I know being on so many foods isn't helping, which is why I am trying to convince my mom to switch the cats to an all canned food diet.

My mom is kind of against canned cat food because from the time she was a kid, until my grandparents both died, they fed all their cats canned cat food, and they turned finicky and wouldn't eat anything but wet food. She hates the smell, but I don't mind it. Also, she thinks it's bad on their teeth, and is very expensive. Our new kitten does have a gas problem, but I think it's because we recently switched to Solid Gold hard food and it's too rich for him, or it could be due to having him on too many different foods?

Our cat, Greenlee, that recently passed away from Fatty Liver Syndrome at 3 years old, had urinary crystals and a bladder infection at one time. I know canned food helps with flushing out the urinary tract. But Greenlee was fed an all dry food diet because of, once again, my mom's issues with canned food.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or advice on what to say and how to convince my mom an all canned food diet is better than a dry food diet. Websites, personal experiences, ect, are GREATLY appreciated!

Also, I would love to hear some canned food options that your cats liked. I am in a search for an all life stages canned food within my budget price range.

Thank You!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 2:44pm PST 
I think the site is catinfo.org lots of food info. Also go to IBDkitties.org. There are stories about kitties with fatty liver & IBD among other things, with lists of food. Wet food really is the best. Mine 4 eat mostly all wet, especially with history of urinary blockage & crystals. I never knew alot of this info, but knowledge is power...
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 2:46pm PST 
God I hear this from so many people and it just burns me. Not you sweetie, you are trying to help your babies. If you go onto catinfo.org there is a link on that site that talks about the process of making dry food and how bad it is. She's a vet so she knows exactly what she's talking about. And it's a myth that dry food cleans the teeth. Here's a really good article and good site from another vet! Does dry food clean teeth?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 2:47pm PST 
Tigger honey my site is not .org it's ibdkitties.net. MOL. dancing
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 2:57pm PST 
whoops! I usually have it correct when I recommend it...*blush* we love your momma Alex..*blows a kitty kiss*
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 5:29pm PST 
This is Delyte. We just switched to all canned, primarily Friskies and Fancy Feast chicken, turkey and beef. Stella was allergic to the canned fish kinds, and she threw up a lot on dry food even the very best kinds. We were on canned food and BG before this, but someone usually was throwing up every day. [With 4 cats you are never sure which one!] Since we switched to canned, the only one throwing up is me, and that is hairballs. When I lick my hairball meds I don't throw up.

We are a little gassy, and our pan droppings are kind of smelly, but otherwise we are all happy and eating well. I have to say that none of us are very finicky unless we are ill. I have hyperthyroid so I will eat anything, and the others copy me--because I am the king top cat! big grin

It is hard on your teeth and you will have to keep an eye on them and get them cleaned more often.

Not a scientific view but a furball level view! Hope it helps! wave
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 11:58pm PST 
First, if I could get my cats on an all wet diet I would. I'm working so hard to get them eat more wet.

I can only help you see the money part of your question. The Friskies pate types comes in the 13 oz cans will be cheaper options. Look for them at a Walmart or other stores to get the 13 oz cans. Look for a sale on them under $1.06. Petsmart is close to you get the 5.5 oz cans on sale for $0.45 from time to time. Start saving for the Petsmart Black Friday sale on Friskies. Last year the Friskies 5.5 oz cans were $0.40.

You might have to feed them for a few days of wet food only to get an idea of how many cans you would use in a month. How much kibble are they going through a month: 4 lbs, 6 lbs, 8 lbs or more? Do you have a food scale? Are the kibbles like $22 for a 6 lb bag? The only way to know if it is more expensive is to do the ALL the math. Then you can show your Mom.

Oh, Solid Gold Indigo Moon is not a good food for your senior cats. The amount of phosphorus in Indigo Moon is at the top of the chart!!! 2.19, ouch!! Poor kidneys. A dry food like Wellness Indoor Health is 0.78 of phoshorus. I'd rather give them some grain, barley, rice & oats, over hurting the kidneys. My cats like these grains over the grain free.
[notify]

Coconut

My mom works for- MARS Petcare

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 6:59am PST 
Hi. I am a pet nutritionist with MARS Petcare. Wet foods are a great option for cats. They are complete and balanced just like dry foods so you will still be getting the same nutrition your cats need. You are right that the much higher moisture levels do help to flush the urinary tract. Some cats will not drink enough water on their own to do this so wet foods help to increase hydration.

The higher moisture also means lower calorie density so your cat can eat a higher volume for the sameamount of calories. This can help with satiation for cats that have a hard time controlling hunger and intake.

There is also research showing that, given the choice, cats select foods based on Protein:Fat:Carb energy ratios which are similar to what you find in wet foods. So wet can satisfy this intrinsic need in cats as well.

Cats do also like variety so as long as your cats do well with it, a variety of wet foods is fine. As long as they are complete & balanced for the right lifestage.

The one thing I would think about is dental health. Wet foods do have calcium and several other nutrients which support teeth and jaw health but I would include either dental treats or toothbrushing will help with cleaning teeth. because of this. many times I recommend mixed feeding to people to get the best of both worlds.
[notify]

Percy

always has time- to lick your- face

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 8:02pm PST 
I work in a vet office and urinary tract infections are the number 1 reason people bring their cats in. It's summer, cats are dehydrated and we've seen so many blocked cats. Canned food does alleviate alot of these problems. My cats eat canned.
[notify]

Jack

Not spoiled,- just well taken- care of.

Purred: Tue Sep 4, '12 10:06pm PST 
You might also want to consider getting your kitties a Pet Fountain. The motion and sound of the water will get them to drink more water. (Drinkwell is an excellent brand).

We had to take Jack to the vet when he was 3 years old because he had developed crystals. The vet encouraged us to get a pet fountain to entice Jack to drink more water. Jack is also on prescription food to prevent urinary crystals. He will be 7 years old at the end of this month and he has not had any urinary problems.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2