GO!

Need advice on feeding skinny kitten.

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cinder

Purred: Thu Jul 12, '12 6:14pm PST 
I recently became the mommy of a 6-week-old baby kitten. She and her brother were abandoned -starved and covered on fleas- in a box about the weeks ago. Luckily the woman who found nursed them and got rid of the fleas. her very said they both appeared to be in good health. But they were still a little on the skinny side.
Currently, I'm feeding her Wellness Core Formula (canned)3 times a day, as much as she wants at each serving. I also have Blue Buffalo Kitten kibble out for her when I'm gone. I can't leave it put all the time because my dogs would just east it all.
Basically, I want to know if I should be doing anything differently. It's been a long time since I've had a kitten and I want to make up for her rough start. Any advice would be great.
PS: I'm sorry if I missed a bunch poof typos. I'm doing this on my phone and it's a major pain.
[notify]

Nevah

Anniversary Gift-

Purred: Fri Jul 13, '12 8:12am PST 
I too recently became a Mama to a young kitten, whom came from very poor conditions. Her bones are visible so I have her on a wet food diet as well. But I also give her vitamin supplements for extra energy and nutrition. I mix that in her wet food.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jul 13, '12 12:36pm PST 
Cinder, you're doing everything right. The only thing I would say is that she might put on weight a little faster if you can increase the number of wet food feedings. I know it's hard when you work but even if you can just get the number up to four feedings a day I think you'll see a difference. Also, try to cut back the kibble. If she's filling herself up with carbs she may not eat as much protein. She may gain weight, but it you could run into health issues later on. Good luck!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jul 13, '12 4:54pm PST 
You can use a programmable timed feeder so your kitten can eat when you are not home smile Canned food is ok if left in a timed feeder all day. If you are worried, you can freezed the food into chunks (like use an ice cube tray) and put the frozen chunks into the feeder to slowly thaw out. If you use a multi-compartment feeder, you can have the first meal or two as canned food straight from the can and the later meals the frozen cubes. A frozen cube might take a few hours to defrost and a hungry kitten might get upset trying to eat a frozen cube or think it's a toy and play with it.

Petsafe 5 compartment feeder is a good one smile Petsmart and other pet stores sell it.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Fri Jul 13, '12 9:45pm PST 
I'm going to ditto what Merlin said. The timed kibble feeders are a great tool to increase the number of feedings for your cat. An all wet diet is better IMO but if you're feeding some kibble, the timed feeders are excellent.
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 1:34am PST 
She isn't a big fan of her kibble. She only eats it if we have to give her her canned food later than usual. Are there any recommendations for other canned kitten foods?
Civet served to have gained quite a bit if weight side we got her a week ago. She's also become much more active, though she does enjoy many long naps. I'm hoping all of our hard work is paying off.kitty
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 1:37am PST 
She isn't a big fan of her kibble. She only eats it if we have to give her her canned food later than usual. Are there any recommendations for other canned kitten foods?
Civet served to have gained quite a bit if weight side we got her a week ago. She's also become much more active, though she does enjoy many long naps. I'm hoping all of our hard work is paying off.kitty
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 5:31am PST 
Ideally a grain-free canned food is best. You don't necessarily need to feed a kitten-speciific food. This list lists many brands of foods and if they contain grains or not, among other ingredients.

If your ktitten doesn't like dry food, then don't feed it smile Dry food can cause all sorts of health problems later in life, like obesity and diabetes and urinary problems. Catinfo.org has more info why.
[notify]

Coconut

My mom works for- MARS Petcare

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 2:43am PST 
Hi. I am the main nutritionist for MARS Petcare US.

Wet kitten foods are the best to get nutrition and energy into a small kitten. The loaf products (vs chunks in gravy) are more concentrated energy. For dry or wet, the important thing is to get something that is complete and balanced for growth. Both diet formats are good for kittens.

I would recommend against any supplemental of vitamins and minerals on top of complete and balanced foods. That can throw off vitamin and mineral balances which can affect their development.

Hope this helps
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 3:35am PST 
Thank you, Coconut. Does anyone know any specifics as far as how much protein, carbs, etc. I should be looking for in the canned food?
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2