GO!

All Wet Food Diet - Overweight Cat

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Sat Jun 16, '12 6:34pm PST 
Our favorite brand is Wellness. We get turkey or chicken. Alex is still a big kitty but not twenty pounds. I feed him twice a day. He gets half a can in the morning and half at night. I do add water but not much and not every time. Check with your vet as to the amount and do it slowly please.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Jun 18, '12 11:09am PST 
I'm lucky I guess. My Hunter is the type that stays at his ideal weight no matter what I feed him. Although he gets 95% wet food. He gets 3oz of classic Fancy Feast for breakfast at 6:00am and then for dinner at 8:00pm he gets half a can of the higher quality foods (Natures Variety, addiction foods, Merrick BG). Sometimes during the afternoon i'll give him 1/4 cup of kibble. However for Loki I do not recommend that. Wet food only!! Don't want to make his condition worse.

Lots of exercise. I play with Hunter daily. I have to, he is very high energy and if I don't... well he isn't called the "Master of disaster" for nothing! lol Good luck Loki!!!
[notify]

Loki

I am the boss of- you!

Purred: Wed Jun 27, '12 3:14am PST 
I just wanted to update on Loki's progress! We switched him over to all wet food. Finding it's expensive but we were able to find the larger cans of Before Grain so that helps. They don't upset his tummy and keep his #2's normal so we're good to go.

I cannot believe the change in him! His energy level is WAY up...before he would just lay around and barely play when I engage him, now he's playing by himself with his toys, and generally just frolicking all over the house! And his coat too, just in this short period of time his constant dander has almost disappeared and his coat is so shiny. Wow!

So either the bladder thing has been bothering him for a year or so, which is when I noticed his activity level going down, or this wet food really makes a difference! Haven't seen a weight loss yet but I know that'll be slow. Can't wait until he gets back to a healthy weight! party

Edited by author Wed Jun 27, '12 3:17am PST

[notify]

Coconut

My mom works for- MARS Petcare

Purred: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:45am PST 
I am so glad to hear Loki is doing better! Could be a combination of the urinary problem and the diet change.

Just make sure you watch him for the urinary tract problem. Wet foods are good for flushing the urinary tract but they are not necessarily formulated to manage a cat with chronic issues. The Vet diets for that have balanced mineral levels to reduce the risk of crystals formed in the urine. Very complicated formulation and testing required for those diets.

snoopysnoopy
[notify]

Tiny Tot

the tinister- kitty

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '12 12:16pm PST 
Oh this is great news I just read all the post and there is lots of good information here. I need to do something similar for my Tiny MOL he is not so tiny at 18.5 lbs. Just like you he never eats much and he loves to play but his size limits is ability to jump climb and run.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Thu Jun 28, '12 10:12pm PST 
So glad to hear Loki is doing better hi5 Yes, the weight loss will be gradual but it will happen. So glad to see your update!
[notify]

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '12 6:31pm PST 
These are really helpful responses. One thing I wanted to add and I apologize if it seems a bit off topic...I just recently found a service targeted specifically for pet owners that feed their cat or dog wet foods called Pawalla. It is a monthly service where you get to try different brands of wet foods (all natural, high quality) plus other stuff like treats, supplements, and toys. As other folks mentioned, wet foods can get expensive and this service seems to be a great value. Might be a fun thing to try and get your cat into the new diet.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2