GO!

All Wet Food Diet - Overweight Cat

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Loki

I am the boss of- you!

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 3:12pm PST 
Hi all!

Well after a 2 a.m. run to the emergency room last night with my buddy Loki here, I decided to seek some advice.

What happened is he peed on our bed, at first I was like heyyyy no!! But then I saw blood. I rushed him in and they said he wasn't blocked which was good, but he was straining and diagnosed him with Cystitis and gave him an anti-inflammatory & antibiotic and sent us home with Dasuquin.

After reading up and speaking with the vet, she said that it occurs more often in males, and more often in cats that are overweight. Loki has a large frame, but he's 20.7 lbs and pretty chubby. We already started a diet on Memorial day after his last check up, feeding him a portioned amount of dry food. We used to leave the food out all the time so they could eat whenever (we have 3 cats), but now we have scheduled portioned feeding times.

We feed Wellness Core dry, and about a tablespoon of wet at some point during the day (Before Grain brand). His problem is that he gets horrible diarrhea if he eats anything with fish or rice in it, so it has been very difficult to find foods that have neither and agree with his tummy.

But it has become clear to me that he shouldn't be on dry food at all with his condition. My question is, is this the best thing for him, is it a balanced nutrition? More importantly, what portion should I feed him to get him to start losing weight, and what are the best brands of wet food?

Any help would be appreciated! hail
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 4:08pm PST 
I know all about this, happened to me, late on a Sat night, I did not know what was happening, luckily one of my show friends was over, and knew the signs. She said he is blocked, and we have to get him to a vet right now. Like you, it was a horrible experience, and this is what I have learned, and no more issues. For future reference, you have 12 hrs to get them to a vet, or, its too late, if they are blocked, so very glad you took him in.

You "have" to feed wet only, have to, and it has to be mixed with water, so its real soupy, twice a day. No dry, at all, at all.

You have to give them purified drinking water, no tap water, it has too many minerals in it, no distilled water, no spring water, has to be purified drinking water. I get the store gal jug, its $1.00, some also use Brita, some use PURR.

I tried to save money, gave him wet once a day, dry at night, in he went. My vet said you have, to give him wet only, and it has to be mixed with the water, no more issues after that.

They pee outside the box, because they associate the pain with the box.

I feed Blue Wilderness chicken and turkey, its grain free. He is a little guy, only 9 lbs, so he gets 1/2 small can in the morn and 1/2 can at night, and he maintains his weight. Treaties are the Pure Bits freeze dried chicken or turkey.

He was 2 when it first happened, he is now 7, and other than when his mommy tried to save money, he has not had any more issues.

Feeding Loki wet only, and keeping him flushed out, is the key.

Once you find a food that he will eat, take that can, and Loki, to the vet. He/she will look at the calorie count, and decide how much he should be fed, per day, I split it into 2 feedings. You have to loose the weight very very very slowly, or you risk liver disease, been there too, that was 3 months and $800 of tests and med changes, she ate the bread, and, the plastic.

Blue Wilderness also makes a Weight Management, but don't know what the ingredients are, never had to feed it. Look at the Blue Buffalo site, stay away from Longevity and Blue Spa, they have grains in them. Look at the Blue Wilderness and the Freedom. Best of luck, I know what you went thru and how terrifiying it was. (((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))))
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 5:08pm PST 
Read this http://catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity way to go

There lots of info there about how to help a cat to safely lose weight.

Canned or raw food will help. Not dry food because those are too high in calories for a cat.

The general rule of thumb is to feed about 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight. A 10 pound cat only needs about 200 to 250 calories per day. If you need to lose a lot of weight, say you are 20 pounds and need to lose 10, you don't want to drastically reduce the calorie intake because that may cause a serious health condition called fatty liver. Make mini weight goals: aim for a 1 pound loss and when you achieve that and maintain it, aim for another 1 pound loss, and repeat.

Brand of food doesn't matter. Most canned foods are under 100 calories per can. Of course, do take into consideration price, availabily of the brand in your local stores, quality of food if that is a concern, etc.

Instead of two meals a day, split the food up into small meals. That way you can keep yout tummy happy all day instead of going hungry hours after one meal and gobbling up food at the next meatl and wanting more. A programmable timed feeder is useful way to go Some brands have multiple compartments.

I don't think a can of food has any useful calorie info thinking Use these charts:
http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html (There's also a dry food chart on that site so you can see how high in calories dry food is)
Pet Food Nutritional Values Comparision
Hobo's Guide to Nutritional Values (this one is constantly being updated so check often for new additions)
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 5:22pm PST 
I just want to add one thing. Although it's true brand doesn't matter, I find some of the cheaper brands that use a lower quality protein don't seem as filling. Don't get me wrong - my fosters get Friskies and it's fine for most of them. Especially the pate flavors which are high protein/low carb. They're great for losing weight. But sometimes a higher quality protein seems to keep a cat fuller. So that may be helpful for a dieting cat who might already feel like you're starving him!
[notify]

Loki

I am the boss of- you!

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 6:10pm PST 
Thanks so much for the advice! He seems to love to eat anything so I don't think the conversion will be rough, might get pricey but he's so worth it smile

From what I calculated he'll need a 26% deficit in calories to be an ideal weight. When we found him he was pretty fit and muscular around 14 lbs so we'll shoot for that.

I'll ease him down slowly into his recommended calories. According to Before Grain's site, his cans are 89 calories each at 3.2 ounces, so that means I'll have to feed him almost 2.5 cans a day? Seems like a lot of food. I tried about 1/4 can now and he didn't eat it all, I'm wondering if he's even eating near the calorie amount recommended for a 14 lb cat.

I really do think he has a glandular problem with the way he can't digest fish or rice, I'm wondering if that contributes to the obesity at all, cause I don't think he really eats that much just from observing how much he's eating from the portioned dry food we were giving him. We give him the calorie amount of dry that's recommended for a 14 lb cat and he never finishes it all, it's puzzling.

Tomorrow he switches to all wet and we shall see what happens, thanks again everybody!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 6:23pm PST 
Before Grain comes in larger 5 oz can sizes, too. One can per day should be enough but feed more or less depending on your cat's needs smile
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 6:40pm PST 
Which Before Grain are you feeding? I looked at the site, there are like a zillion wet choices, I checked a few, they are all 5.0 cans and the kcal is well over 100.

Each cat is different, they have different metablisims. I have 2 brothers, same litter. One has a higher metablisim, its a struggle to keep weight on him, the other one, I don't want any more weight on him. The one brother gets twice as much, as the other.

You really need to take him to the vet, he/she will tell you what his ideal weight should be, and help you plan a loss weight schedule, do you really know, how much, is a safe amount to lose? Do you know, what kcal means? ((((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))))
[notify]

Loki

I am the boss of- you!

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 8:12pm PST 
Oops sorry, this one:
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/merrick-before-grain-cans.php

Sometimes the Quail & Chicken, sometimes Turkey, they're all around 80 calories.
I'll be discussing this with my vet, but I've been doing a lot of research online too and every site seems to have the same calculation as I'm coming up with. Thanks!

Edited by author Fri Jun 15, '12 8:14pm PST

[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 9:28pm PST 
Great info from everyone, though that may get a bit expensive, can you try the larger cans? maybe the Wellness grain free,and also add in some Weruva?
The Wellness is a bit cheaper, the bigger cans are a better deal. Also when you buy a case you ususally get a discount too. My Shadow had the same problem many years ago, before I learned more about feline nutrition. She was almost 20lbs and had Struvite Crystals in her urine really bad. So I switched her to an all wet grain free food and she hasnt had the Crystals since, and she has gotten down to 13 lbs. I used Dr, Lisa Pearson of catinfo.org formula for loosing weight. weight of cat x 13.6 and add 70 this is how many calories I gave in a day to start, then gave a bit less after that, full description is on her page the one Merlin linked to you. Hope all goes well for Loki smile
[notify]

Coconut

My mom works for- MARS Petcare

Purred: Sat Jun 16, '12 10:30am PST 
I am a nutritionist for Mars Petcare and have done some work in this area. Wet foods can be very good at managing weight control. Mostly because of the higher moisture content and lower calorie density. The volume helps to fill the stomach and cause satiation. The high moisture can help flush the urinary tract too which is helpful for cats. The chunk in gravy varieties have even higher moisture because of the gravy so have even lower calories per serving.

Grocery canned foods have very highly digestible protein so you shouldn't have any problem there and the protein will help satiate too.

One thing to keep in mind is that if your cat needs to lose a lot of weight, you should do it with a veterinary diet that is designed for weight loss and have it monitored by your vet Those diets are balanced with higher nutrients to ensure cats get essential nutrients in a smaller amount of calories during weight loss.

Also, don't forget about exercise. The more activity you can get your cat to do, the happier they are and they can burn some calories!

Good luck with the weight loss!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2