GO!

Merrick Before Grain Canned Food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Wed May 30, '12 8:09pm PST 
Hey all. Premium canned cat food is ridiculously expensive over here in Canada and rarely ever sold in cases, so since I go to the States once a month to visit relatives, I've decided to start buying their food there. I am switching my three to an all canned diet soon. Is Merrick Before Grain a top notch food? It seems great to me, as one of the concerns I've had with the past foods I've bought them is they're too veggie heavy, but Merrick boasts that their before grain line foods are 96% meat. Are there any concerns I should have about this food, or is it as great as I think it is? And if it is, which source of protein is best for my cats? They have chicken, turkey, salmon and beef, so I'm not sure which one to pick. I just really want to find a food for my cats that I can feel great about feeding them and stick to, because I'm kind of getting tired of constantly being on the hunt for a healthier food for them. laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed May 30, '12 8:10pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu May 31, '12 3:44am PST 
Merrick's Before Grain is good smile You don't need to stick with one protein source. Many cats like to have variety in the diet. Just limit the fish to once in awhile meals.
[notify]

KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Thu May 31, '12 7:07pm PST 
Thanks for your response smile Also, is there a big quality difference between Soulistic and Before Grain? Those are really the only foods I've been considering because the recent recalls worry me.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Jun 1, '12 9:28am PST 
The only difference is that Soulistic is chunks/slices of food wheras Before Grain is just pate/loaf. And I think Soulistic is made in a Human-grade food facility.

Soulistic

The company that makes Soulistic also makes Weruva that is sold only at specialty pet stores.

You can rotate between Before Grain and Soulistic smile Some cats like to have a variety of textures and meats.
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Fri Jun 1, '12 2:00pm PST 
Come soon to the US!! Soulistic is on SALE at Petco. All unopened cases of 8 or 12 are $5 off until 6/16. Check out my post on how much you can SAVE:

http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/746 234
http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/745778

If you are coming for the super sale on 6/9-10/12, woofwoofmama blog has the link for the Petco $5 off $25 coupon. Have you tried Nature's Variety canned food?

Edited by author Fri Jun 1, '12 2:12pm PST

[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Jun 1, '12 9:49pm PST 
All I can say is be watchful of the cans, make sure they had a proper seal, and use your nose to smell to make sure it does not smell off. We no longer feed this food. Merricks has now purchased Castor and Pollux company.
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Fri Jun 1, '12 10:11pm PST 
For a bit we ate this food. We liked all the flavors really well and Mom liked that it came in small cans but Mom stopped feeding it to us and she can't remember why exactly. She had been trying a few brands and stopped this one. I know that is no help though.

Brownie had asked if you tried the Natures Variety food and we really like their Natures Variety Instinct canned Chicken.

Edited by author Fri Jun 1, '12 10:16pm PST

[notify]

KitKat

Canned Food- Connoisseur

Purred: Fri Jun 1, '12 10:49pm PST 
Nature's Variety is something I have always wanted to try the cats on, but even at Petco in the States, it's about $23 for 12 5.5 oz cans, which unfortunately is way out of my price range. as that is about $1.92 per can, whereas Merrick's BG would have been %1.48 a can when purchased in a case. However, Shadow's post has made me nervous about Before Grain, so I think I'm going to try them on Soulistic instead.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '12 5:50am PST 
$23 for the 12 oz cans? Are you buying the dog food ones? The Instinct dog canned food can be fed to cats. Same formula, just different can size smile

Shop around at different pet stores for the best prices. Nature's Variety is sold at Petco now and you can still find the brand at small independent non-chain pet stores and specialty pet stores. The smaller stores tend to give customers discounts on large purchases of food and sales.

Nature's variety has coupons sometimes, too. You have to sign up to receive them on their web site or call their customer service number.

Shadow, did you contact Merrick and let them know that the cans had a bad seal? Most companies will give you a refund or at least coupons for free food.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '12 11:15am PST 
For Natures Variety small cans we would have to pay 2.79 plus tax for a 6 oz can. For the 12 oz dog food cans (same formula as cat food) is 3.79$
Yes I live in Canada too, but on an Island. Wish we could feed it as part of rotation but its just too expensive.
As per the Merricks, I have taken cans back before, this last time, I just had enough. Also im not the only one, lots of complaints over at itchmoforums.
(with picture) yikes!
We are still trying to add raw into rotation.
I dont want anyone to feel nervous, just aware, no pet food is perfect unfortunately.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2