GO!

A change in food = a bad idea

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 4:06am PST 
So my budget is getting rather tight. I noticed that even the cost of fancy feast has gone up. I want Hunter on somewhat decent wet food. He gets fancy feast and then the higher quality foods for dinner. I also supplement him with kibble. (Yea I know kibble is bad.)

Well I noticed that where I go to get his canned food, they had the 3oz cans of Weruva for .89 cents. Normally I think its $1.19. I was thinking to myself "SCORE!" So I grabbed like 9 cans I think. Then I also noticed that they stopped selling his Addiction foods. So I got him more of Natures Variety, especially the Venison because he liked the Venison Addiction formula.

Well Tuesday I figured I'd switch it up a bit and instead of Fancy Feast for Breakfast I gave him a 3oz can of Weruvas Paw Lickin Chicken. He ate the whole thing. I thought to myself, great! Better than Fancy Feast. Then that night I gave him half of Natures Variety Venison. Tuesday night, no issues. Yesterday he got Fancy Feast for breakfast. I came home and he looked hungry so I gave him a can of Weruvas Nine Liver. Just licked it, ate a tiny bit. (Normally I don't give him food in the middle of the day) Last night, I gave him the other half of the Venison. He ate all of it. However...

All night he had really bad poops. He still had them this morning. To the point where it was staining his white floofy pants. Has Weruva or Natures Variety Venison's forumla changed? Okay he hasn't had that flavor and Weruva in months! Did I jump into it too fast for him?? This happened when he was a kitten. Now over 2 years later its happening again. He was running in and out of the litter box all morning. Poor guy. He is peeing fine. I cleaned his box this morning, and there were pee clumps so hes not blocked. I know he has diarrhea. So...

This morning I gave him his regular fancy feast and put in 2 pinch fulls of Benefiber (vet said this was okay in the past) I also gave him some kibble.(Normally I don't.) Oh, he also could of licked a bowl of greek yogurt that was empty. I found it on the couch this morning dry as a bone. So I don't know if its the Natures Variety Venison, Weruva or maybe he had a bit of yogurt??

I feel bad. I hope the benefiber works. Does anyone know if those certain formulas have changed?? Did I jump into it too fast for him? He hasn't escaped lately so I know its not anything from outside.

Any advice?
[notify]

Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 4:36am PST 
Honestly, I feel like it was probably the instant change in foods. The same thing happened to Newton when we had our budget cut, although he wasn't running back and forth to the litter box. His poo, however, was very very very soft and runny. Two days later he was fine. Now granted, it is entirely possible that maybe one of the flavors didn't agree with him, but just in my experience with getting new foods to accommodate the budget, it was probably just the instant transition. The fact that he is still eating and isn't blocked up is a good sign, in my opinion, but definitely keep an eye on it. Hope that helps and hope Hunter starts feeling better!!!!!!!wave
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 12:59pm PST 
Hello Hunter wave

I have to agree with Wallace on this. I personally think that the cause for the loose stool, is due to the sudden food change/rotation. As well all know, cat systems are quite sensitive to drastic changes. I wouldn't give up on the new food. Personally, I would just slow down the process a bit, by mixing the two wet foods together possible. Maybe a ratio of like 1/4 new food, 3/4 old for about a week or so, then 2/4 new and 2/4 old, and so on and so forth. I wish you the best of luck, keep us posted on how Hunter is doing! wishes
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 2:09am PST 
Sounds like the Venison is not agreeing with you. I would not eat any more of that until you know for sure what caused the problem. But since you had the same problem when you were a kitten, and then again now... Venison is what the problem is, in my opinion. I sure hope the fiber helps clear things up for you!
[notify]

Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 3:10pm PST 
In my experience, loose stool is a side effect of switching too quickly -- the cat can digest it, but needs to adapt. I think the others here have covered a gradually switch over.

On the other hand, if you cat vomits -- and consistently does so if you offer it again -- it's probably an intolerance for the food itself. Memphis can't have beef; it comes right back up. Anything that induces diarrhea -- not just loose stool, but a significant water loss -- should also be stopped. A few smelly, less firm stool indicates the foot has a chance, but anything that makes your cat ill (i.e., vomitting or diarrhea) should be removed.

Edited by author Fri Apr 27, '12 3:11pm PST

[notify]

Mischievous- Bandit- "Misty"

What can I get- into now?

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '12 9:08pm PST 
We eat the Natures Variety Duck as part of our rotation. and it always gives me really supper stinky poops. Like I normally have stinky poops. but when I eat Natures Variety Duck its really really nasty. We find as long as we only have it once every other day I am less stinky in the poop department. We dont do the veneson becuase its a red meat and red meats (beef mainly and some others) dont agree with AnnaBelle (she pukes em up) or me( stinky poops). So maybe its something with this brand.
[notify]

Duke

Easter Surprise- (He was born on- Easter)

Purred: Tue May 1, '12 9:46am PST 
We've had some really bad issues with our Chausie kitties and diaherra when they were quite small. So much so we took them to our vet and he said because we rescued them before they were weened (a good samaritan found them after their mama was hit on the road; we adopted them)their systems had not developed enough to digest regular food. We put them on W/D which is a prescription diet, so it isn't cheap, but solved our problem (the kittens are now a year old).

Now we feed Wellness (and supplement W/D) cat food which is all protein...no cereal or gluten. It too isn't cheap, but we find we need to feed less of it because they get filled up on less. The kibble is very small and makes it easier to eat.

We try to stay away from canned food which seems to be too rich for their systems and also anything with cereal as the first ingredient. Definitely no wheat or corn gluten (our cats vomited constantly). No gluten, no problem.
[notify]