GO!

What do you think of these ingredients for cat food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '12 6:43am PST 
So, I am not an expert on telling how good a cat food is, but I am okay at judging. I was curious to know, what you guys thought of these ingredients, as I am looking into having this cat food specially ordered from my local pet store.

Chicken Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat, Dried Potato Products, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Salmon Oil, Dried Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrot, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach, Dried Tomato Pomace, DL-methionine, Dried Whey Products, Daesin, Patassium Chloride, Salt, Lecithen, Taurine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtillis Fermentation Products, Dried Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium Panthothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Citric Acid, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '12 2:37pm PST 
Personally, I wouldn't feed this - way too many veggies (including spinach which can be dangerous to cats) and the potato is a carb-filled filler. I would look for something with low or no carbs. Just my opinion.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '12 2:52pm PST 
Its way too high in salt, salt should be listed, almost at the bottom of the ingredients, and this is per my vet, and she said, avoid any food, that salt, is not listed, its in there, and the fact they don't list it, means its way too high.

You also want to avoid salmon products, if you have a little boy kitty. Fish flavored foodies, is one, of many causes of crystals.

The potatoe is also listed way too high, and chicken, not chicken meal, should be the first ingredient. The meal, is the dried skin, hence, the chicken fat, being listed up near the top, its kinda the same thing. There is something about spinich, you should avoid, but I forget now, why.

Its OK, to list the name of the food on here. Some who have experience with that food, could give you a better opinion. Also, do a search, for that food, and include "recalls" in the search wording. That should give you more information too.

Here is a good site to read. Best of luck.

http://catinfo.org/

Bump from the Rainbow Bridge Friday April 13th 2012
[notify]

max

here to help

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '12 5:29pm PST 
Aw. I see your cat is a vegetarian. Commendable. But Cats teeth do pose problems for even the most determined preditors of legumes. Vegetarians have flat teeth in the back of there mouths to grind out nutrition from even the sorriest piece of vegetation. Like human teeth. Despite the thrill of chasing eggplants through the garden cats teeth are designed for shredding flesh and crunching bone. So even though you may see an occasional cat in Mr Mcgregors garden. By the carrot patch don't expect your cat to eat vegetables.
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 6:42am PST 
I have mentioned the cat food before on here, but the cat food is called Serengeti by Timberwolf line.

Thank you for the information everyone! It is greatly appreciated.way to go
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 10:24am PST 
NO spinach! Spinach is EXTREMELY high in calcium oxalates and can cause all sorts of problems like crystals, kidney problems, bladder, etc.
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 12:49pm PST 
Ugh, I am getting so very FRUSTRATED with cat foods. With Stinky being a VERY finicky either everything just keeps getting harder and harder. I have been looking intensely in the cat food Chicken Soup for Cat Lovers Soul. That too has Spinach in it, but it isn't as high up on the ingredients list, as it is in the Serengeti.

All I know is I want to get him off the Purina Beyond and Iams. Like I have stated, at this point and time I am only limited to 3 options at the pet store, unless I can talk to the owners and convince them to order food for me. For practical thinking though, I'd like to think that they will not order it, and make the best decision out of the 2 of 3 foods Stinky will eat. Stinky will absolutely not eat Taste of the Wild: Venison or Canyon River. He literally starves himself..literally. That's the reason he got stuck back on Iams.

So, the choice are Felidae and Chicken Soup. I have heard Felidae contains a lot of salt, and now Chicken Soup has spinach... eek

What to do! I am going to the pet store to pick up different food this evening, and am leaning toward Chicken Soup.
[notify]