GO!

Budget cut!!! Affordable canned food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 5:06pm PST 
Did you print any of the Facebook coupons for Petsmart or Petco?? Petsmart is $5 off $25 and Petco is 10% off.
[notify]

Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 5:09pm PST 
I didn't!!! But they were having a big in-store sale at my Petsmart, anyway so I was pretty happy. smile
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 8:36pm PST 
Believe it or not, Friskies Poultry Platter is comparable to many 'better' foods, just check the label.Meowma feeds other Friskies wet also . Our 'pickies' get FF wet,usually but sometimes ProPlan. Also some but not all Petsmarts are offering a "Great Choice" which is identical to friskies, just you have o use a regular can opener not a pop top, and the 3 oz great choice is the same as FF or Authority but 5 cents a 3 oz can cheaper.
There are 20 of us in all, so 75 cents or more a can is not an option, period.
I have to tell you, Meowma has found that many top breeders feed the same as what we get here. I am going to be retired for a year, but have been very sucessful as a show cat this year and the judges always comment on my fabulous condition and coat.
[notify]

Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 5:12pm PST 
Just FYI, Petco is having a ridiculously good sale right now. I got a case of 24 cans of Wellness Core for $34 - $1.42 a can, and it's normally $43 or about $1.82 a can. I've set my personal budget at $1.50 a can, so that falls neatly under it.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 5:52pm PST 
For a mulit-cat household it makes more sense to buy the larger sized cans instead of the little ones. Some of the Wellness varieties are avalable in 13 oz can sizes as well as 5 oz and 3 oz. You can feed the 13 oz can of Nature's Variety Instinct for dogs to a cat. It is the same formula, taurine and everything way to go

Sometimes the store will give you a discount if you buy cases of food. Independent pet stores usually offer this but sometimes a chain store will if you get to know the managersmile

Edited by author Fri Apr 27, '12 5:54pm PST

[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 1:30am PST 
Ditto on the Friskies! It's all that we can afford right now. It's pretty much all my three eat at the moment, and frankly, they're doing great. I stay away from ALL fish flavors, and do my best to stay away from fish as a general ingredient. I buy the big cans of Friskies at Walmart for about $0.80 each. I will also feed Fancy Feast on occasion, but it's very expensive for us.

When I was originally transferring a short term foster over to wet food for his diet (he was a very obese 27#), I spoke to my vet about what he suggested. He said that in the research he'd done for his own cats, he felt that that the best wet food was kitten food as it tended to be higher in protein, and had a significantly better carb to protein ratio.

I've noticed in our house, when I get kitten food it seems to last them longer and I find myself feeding less. That's just us, though. The bulk of their food is adult, though.

For any naysayers, Mocha is on a 'special diet' for idiopathic hypercalcemia and Friskies is one of the only brands she can eat due to the lack of heavy duty chemical acidifiers. Also, she just had a full panel done yesterday and her bloodwork came back perfect! "Top Shelf" foods aren't always Top Shelf!
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 5:37am PST 
Canned foods are a lot lower in calories than dry food. That is why it is good for overweight cats smile A cup of dry food can have 400 or more calories shock A can of food may have as litle as 70 calories in a 3 oz can. A 10 pound cat should only get about 200 to 250 calories per day.

The feeding suggestion printed on pet food labels are inaccurate so don't pay attention to those, especially dry food. Most of the time what is printed there is more than what you should be feeding. The pet food company just wants to you to use more food so you run out faster and will buy more food more frequently which means more $$$ for them confused

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the inexpensive brands of canned foods. Try to stay away from those that contain grains and lots of fillers. A store's generic brand of food may just be as good as a big name brand and cost less.
[notify]

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 6:20am PST 
Wow, guys! So I wanted to try Friskies out. I decided to do a little "trial" and only get a few cans, but when I got there, the 13oz cans were on sale for A DOLLAR!!! I got three and I don't remember the flavors, but I stayed away from fish, checked the protein content, and made sure it was gluten free. It DOES have rice in it, but it is around the sixth or seventh ingredient so I decided to try it. WOW, they LOVE it!!!!!!!! Wallace is the type, even if he likes a food, he will eat half of it and come back an hour later to finish it. With this, he cleaned his plate and so did Newton. I am SO pleased I could get such a big can for less than the price of some 3oz cans and they (l;op
[notify]

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 6:38am PST 
Sorry I got cut off there. Wally walked across my laptop and sent the message. Greetings from Wallace!laugh out loud
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '12 5:00pm PST 
BJs and other warehouse stores sell canned pet food in large cases smile I know BJs has cases of 36 cans of Fancy Feast. Of course, you do need a member card to buy stuff at one of these stores shrug Most places offer a free trial membership for 60 days or so, sometimes even a one day use only card.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3